What are you using as more compact/second camera

X100T - ye sit can be a pain being fixed length and is not quite pocket size, but IQ is amazing and nice to use.

Mainly a Fuji XT-10 with either the 27mm pancake or 18mm lens. I've also got a Panasonic TZ-60 which I got for a good price in the classifieds here and it's ace! I took this and the Fuji on holiday and used it 99% of the time - mainly because it fit in my shorts pockets and weighs next to nothing.

Thank you for your answers! Im thinking about what camera to get as a second camera, weather to go for a compact like the RX100 or a small interchangeable lens camera like the Olympus OM-D series! Olympus have the Test and Wow so i may try one out for a couple days and see how i get on with one!

I recently went from a D90 to OMD E-M10 and am really liking the move. It's not really pocket-able (even with a pancake lens) but it fits nice and unobtrusively into the palm of your hand.

For example, the graffiti shoots I recently put up in general sharing, it's an area I would not want to be advertising I was doing photography in. I could walk around with the M10 in my hand and
no one gave me a second glance.

Only use 1 camera. And that's the Olly Em1. Its compact and small enough to use almost every where.

Of course carry a iPhone 5s all of the time, so suppose that's my 2nd/backup camera....................

Recently tried the RX100-III and Canon G7x to have something truly pocketable, but find them fiddly to use and didn't enjoy it. Plus they do feel quite bulky and heavy still in your pocket. Just bought a Fuji XT1 and pretty happy with that, much lighter than my D750 and 24-120mm or 24-70mm f2.8.

Panasonic FZ1000 (which I'm thinking of shifting, as its bulk is about the same as my canon 700d and 18-135 is) and my iPhone

The Ricoh GR is a nice small camera. The menu is not very user friendly, but once you have chosen appropriate settings it works great. I like the feature of three user defined modes.

Nice thread revival.

Usual Gear is a 6D , 16-35, 24-105, 50 1.4, 200 2.8

I've found myself taking the GoPro with a small handle/selfie stick quite a lot these days. It can shoot RAW and the files are quite nice. Sometimes just stick it on a chest mount and forget about it all together.

I used to carry the 6D+50mm as a lightweight option.

Also carry on occasion a Rollei 35B film camera (kindly donated by a forum member here after mine took a tumble)

- Small: E-M10II with Panasonic 14-45 and/or Panasonic 45-150
- Smaller, good quality and extensive zoom range: Panasonic TZ100
- Even smaller, very good quality but 24-70mm equiv zoom only: Sony RX100 IV
- Smaller than that, I'd be using my iPhone but I'd lose the ability to shoot RAW.

Other small cameras that I've used but moved on from: Canon Powershot S20 (terrible), Canon G9 (very good at ISO 80-100), Canon G1X (good but quite bulky compared to the G9), Sony RX100 MkI (very good but no EVF), Sony RX100 III (very good), Panasonic Lumix LX1 (still pretty good - used by my kids now), Panasonic GM5 (good but I found the ergonomics not that great).

X100f. It's become my main camera.

I always said that when my Olympus 1030 died I'd get the Sony RX100, however when it died recently I ended up with an Olympus TG5, compact and tough. It meant that I was able to get photos on holiday, which normally I wouldn't. I.e. Around the water parks of `Disney, where I was able to take it into the pool without having to worry about getting it wet. I was surprised at the number of people using phones inside ziploc type cases. My Brother in law being one, oh how I chuckled after he bragged about the waterproofing in the iPhone 7+ only to have to find an apple repair shop 2 days later as water had got into the case :)

Thank you for your answers! Im thinking about what camera to get as a second camera, weather to go for a compact like the RX100 or a small interchangeable lens camera like the Olympus OM-D series! Olympus have the Test and Wow so i may try one out for a couple days and see how i get on with one!
I did that now have 3 lenses end a EM1 Mk2 to go with my Canon system. Oops! :ROFLMAO:

I have a Sony RX100 III, it's a real pocketable camera with great IQ.

I ended up with a X100T, however i sold that for a Nikon F80 as i really enjoy the files i get from the film and i can use all my current Nikon Lenses and sold the X100T!

I really did enjoy the X100T though however i found it just wasn't getting used as my second camera since i purchased the F80

Main kit is Canon 80d plus various lenses.
Like so many others, I seem to have tried out various options for "2nd camera".
Canon G12 (great, portable with OVF, sold to brother), Canon S120 (liked the quality but not the lack of VF), Fuji XM-1 (ditto the S120 re viewfinder and wasn't happy with video AF)' Sony RX100 mk 3 (fantastic output from1" sensor in tiny package with pop up EVF - you just need to be sure you can get comfortable with it in the hand), now on to Panasonic G80 with 24mm prime. I was about to say "finally onto a G80" but I sincerely doubt it will be my last change!

I too have done the progression of small/lightweight go everywhere cameras over the years. Have had a few G series Canons (G9, G10, G11, G1x), some Canon S series (S90, S95), a Fuji XF1 (loved that camera probably shouldn't have sold it), a couple of Nikons... Also tried some pocketable mirrorless options (Many GF3 with 20mm, EOS M with 22mm, Fuji AX1 with 18mm). In the end I settled on the combination of a Sony RX100 (first gen) as a truly pocketable option and a Panasonic GM1 with 12-36 pancake zoom and Only 45 f1.8 when I had bigger pockets. Thought I had got to a set up I was happy with and would not change for some time but then accidentally bought a Canon G5x last week and so far am very impressed, could almost replace the RX100 and the GM1... I do like new toys.

Small camera? My 7D2. It fits all my lenses and is light and compact.

Fuji X70. Bought it from the classifieds on here to use whilst on holiday in Cancun (Mexico) last month. Ended up buying the wide conversion lens and evf from the Fuji store too. It performed fantastically for me but I did miss not having a zoom on a few occasions. Food for thought :thinking:

Canon 1D4 and 7D4 primarily.
Canon G1X as a compact
iPhone 7 in pocket all the time.

7d4? Did you have to use all 1.21 gigawatts to get back? [emoji6]

Last edited:
A6000 if I want the versatility of a few more lenses but take an RX100m3 to work every day just in case.

I too have done the progression of small/lightweight go everywhere cameras over the years. Have had a few G series Canons (G9, G10, G11, G1x), some Canon S series (S90, S95), a Fuji XF1 (loved that camera probably shouldn't have sold it), a couple of Nikons... Also tried some pocketable mirrorless options (Many GF3 with 20mm, EOS M with 22mm, Fuji AX1 with 18mm). In the end I settled on the combination of a Sony RX100 (first gen) as a truly pocketable option and a Panasonic GM1 with 12-36 pancake zoom and Only 45 f1.8 when I had bigger pockets. Thought I had got to a set up I was happy with and would not change for some time but then accidentally bought a Canon G5x last week and so far am very impressed, could almost replace the RX100 and the GM1... I do like new toys.
interesting, had one on the cards for some time, hmm

X70 + WCL-X70 (when I want it). Ricoh GR gets an outing fairly regularly. Fave combo is the X70 + WCL & X100T with TCL, carry them both, nice lightweight wide+tele setup.

Back