What are you using as more compact/second camera

EOS M with EF-S M 18-55mm kit lens. Also have the M-EF adaptor to use other lenses.

Spoilt for choice
Canon eos-m with 22mm f2.0
Olympus omd-em5 MKII with 17mm f2.8
Fuji X bodies XA2 or XT-10 with either the XF 27mm f2.8, or XF 18mm f2.0

Last edited:
Bought an old Ricoh GRD3 a few weeks ago, great little camera but the IQ really isn't great. I'm thinking about trading up to the GR2 which is 16MP and supposedly much improved.

Really like the idea of a small pocketable fixed lens compact but choice is quite limited without spending big bucks.

Currently got my D700 with 50mm on in my bag, not exactly light but certainly lighter than any of my other configurations :LOL: Currently looking for a small DX camera to carry instead, I still have the excellent 35mm DX lens that I could put on the front for good quality in a smaller package. I know buying another system would be a slippery slope into GAS

Last edited:
Currently got my D700 with 50mm on in my bag, not exactly light but certainly lighter than any of my other configurations :LOL: Currently looking for a small DX camera to carry instead, I still have the excellent 35mm DX lens that I could put on the front for good quality in a smaller package. I know buying another system would be a slippery slope into GAS
D3300 here,lovely and light and great sensor

Primary camera is a 6D, and I'd have pounced on a Mk.II if reviews weren't so disappointing. I just got a 200D for the size and technology update, to replace a 700D as my mini just-in-case unit, paired with the Tamron 16-300mm to cover as many bases as possible. Only trouble is, attached to a tiny 200D the impressively compact Tamron now feels like half a brick by comparison! I've had the lens since August and pleased with it so far. The camera only arrived two days ago and haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it feels good and is fully featured. The only design change I'd like is to swap over the AE lock button, which I've set up to activate AF, with the focus point selector in the corner of the body.

RX100 mk3, the 1" sensor is good for a compact, and the inbuilt viewfinder makes it usable in bright sunlight and feel surprisingly DSLR like. It is very good for a compact, and covers 85% of typical leisure photographic needs, but its that last 15% that hurts!

As it stands, since my primary camera is a mamiya RZ67, my compact camera is a Nikon D810.

As it stands, since my primary camera is a mamiya RZ67, my compact camera is a Nikon D810.

Other way round for me. My Leica M7 and Summaron 28/f5.6 is as compact as it gets, fits easily in my pocket, and normally used point and shoot.

I currently use a Canon S90 as a camera to fit between my 5D and iPhone.

I’ll probably look at upgrading it soon, the Canon G7X is looking like the front runner, with the Canon M3 as the underdog. I like the idea of the bigger sensor on the M3, but it seems like the G7X has the better lens and is significantly smaller.

My little camera is a trusty Panny GX7: pocketable size and articulated screen and EVF make it great for street photography, particularly with a pancake lens on (y)

Although the baby X ?0s don't fit in a shirt pocket. (I still love mine, it's just that they're not pocketable!)

... snip...I like the idea of the bigger sensor on the M3, but it seems like the G7X has the better lens and is significantly smaller.

The m3 uses interchangeable lenses?

The m3 uses interchangeable lenses?
Maybe I should have said faster lens... It doesn't look like any of the EF-M lenses are faster than f2.0.

Maybe I should have said faster lens... It doesn't look like any of the EF-M lenses are faster than f2.0.

Not sure about that, but of course you can use EF and EFS lenses too with the M3.

Not sure about that, but of course you can use EF and EFS lenses too with the M3.
It kind of stops it being compact though! I read this article earlier, which was food for thought on the smaller sensor with faster lens vs APS-C sensor with slower lens.

I had a quick play with the M3 and G7Xmk2 at PC World earlier and I liked the fact that the M3 could use rear button focussing, which is how I have my DSLRs set up.

X100T plus WCL and TCL.

1D MK 3 = stupid heavy thing.

D800 = Not too bad.

X-T1 = light but very front heavy with the 56mm.

My more compact walk around camera is a 5d mkiii - but I'd have to be walking and carrying it all day - otherwise it's one of the 1dx which will be with me.

Fuji X30.

But I keep an old Konica Minolta G600 in the car and remember to charge the battery from time to time.

Much less inclined to haul heavy Nikon kit outside of my house these days. I am fortunate to have a compact choice from:-

Ricoh GR.
Nikon Coolpix A.
Sony RX100v.
Sony RX1.
Leica XV.

As you can see, I like my compacts.

Last edited:
Sold my RX100 and picked up a LX15 for its 4K video and great pic quality. Fitted a Sony grip and my magfilter.
2efkmc8.jpg

Much less inclined to haul heavy Nikon kit outside of my house these days. I am fortunate to have a compact choice from:-

Ricoh GR.
Nikon Coolpix A.
Sony RX100v.
Sony RX1.
Leica XV.

As you can see, I like my compacts.

Interesting that you have a GR and coolpix A. Would have thought they were a bit too similar.

Fuji XF1 for real coat pocket stuff on a night out. LX100 when travelling light.

Gad-westy, they are similar but produce somewhat different effects although I agree there is not much between them. The GR is very well made and takes great pics, personally I prefer the Coolpix A, it is about the only decent compact Nikon have ever produced and I am much more familiar with the general operation and software being used to Nikon DSLR’s. Currently my compact of choice though is the RX100V for it’s fantastic pocketability. I used to have the Mark 1 and this Mark V is in a different league in terms of operational speed. The Leica XV mainly comes out in the summer mainly due to it’s slow(but lovely) 18-46(28-70 equiv)lens and the RX1 is for specific shots where I want the extra quality of that cracking lens when the light is not so good.

Last edited:
Leica Type C when the EOS M6 and various lens are too much. Really like this little thing - useful zoom and pretty good image quality thanks to a largish sensor. Wifi, RAW shooting and fantastic ergonomics (aperture switch, quick access to ISO and EVF) make it a cracker!

Olympus EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8. Tried just about every 'compact' option available and this is the perfect balance of size and IQ for me.

Back