What are you using as more compact/second camera

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Im just curious to what people are using as a second camera to their main DSLR/Mirrorless setup for those times when you don't want/need a big body and big lenses?

A Sony Nex 6 for digital or a Contax 139 for film...

Panasonic LX100 if I anticipate video (4k).

Fuji X20 for convenience.

Pentax K-S1 + Pentax Ltd's for lightness and high IQ.

Stick a pancake 27mm on the X-E2 and it's nice and compact, not that it's a massive body to start with. My main cameras are already compact - X-E2, DP2M, DP3M - any bulk is down to how many of them I'm carrying at the same time.

X30 as a compact, Nikon P900 as a bridge.

Olympus XZ-10. In the shirt pocket. Or PEN with body cap lens. In vest pocket.

My "main" camera is my Sony A7 which is already small when fitted with a 35 or 55mm lens but although this is the best camera I've ever had I use MFT more and my most compact MFT camera is my Panasonic GX7 which when fitted with a 17 or 25 or even 45mm lens or the tiny 14-42mm kit zoom is winter coat pocketable.

Canon G7 X (1st gen) or mobile phone, currently Galaxy Note 3.

I usually just stick my 50mm on my D750 and take a smaller bag. Would like something smaller sometimes but for the amount of use it would get I can't justify it right now.

X100S, TCL, WCL, hitech filters packed and ready for Vietnam next week.

X100S, TCL, WCL, hitech filters packed and ready for Vietnam next week.

Hope you enjoy. It's a place I'd like to visit but GF (she's Thai) refuses to go due to their treatment of animals.

Sony RX100, awesome little thing :)

RX 100 M3

Last edited:
RX100 m2 for me

iPhone 7

MIGHT pick up one of the RX100's now the mark V has been announced. Hoping for a nice price drop of the IV

Another one who uses an em5 when travelling light. Actually nearly all the time. The D3 is for special occasions only.

Panasonic Lumix TZ80. I bought for when I don't want to carry heavy kit - it fits nicely in my trousers pocket.

Last edited:
A6000 is my travel camera - though my inability to properly 'travel light' means I usually have the 16-50, 55-210 and 50 f/1.8 lenses with it...

Still fairly compact set-up though :)

Panasonic Lumix TZ80. I bought for when I don't want to carry heavy kit - it fits nicely in my trousers pocket.

Same - except for the trousers;)!

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers! Im thinking about what camera to get as a second camera, weather to go for a compact like the RX100 or a small interchangeable lens camera like the Olympus OM-D series! Olympus have the Test and Wow so i may try one out for a couple days and see how i get on with one!

I don't own a DSLR! My second camera for travelling light is a Sony a7rii; my main camera is a 5x4 Walker Titan SF.

Canon eos-m with 22mm f2.0 or Fuji XA -XA2 or XM with XF 27mm f2.8 or XF18mm f2.0
in all honesty I'm spoilt for choice when it come to a compact camera :runaway:

LX100 too, i just find it's pretty good and all the buttons are in the right place! I love the layout of the buttons which i have slightly adapted, and i love the instant access to aperture/shutter speed/image ratio. I got some picture at iso 1600 and iso 2500 that are really pretty good and some video at iso 3200 too!

Back