What Are Your Photo Goals 2020

My 2020 goal is to earn enough money with photography to buy all the body and lens upgrades that I "NEED" for the next stage in my 'going full time pro' journey

Continue to grow my main blog and take Instagram more seriously. I have clients, editors and business contacts following me on Instagram but I refuse to take part in the "you follow me if I follow you" B.S. so popular nowadays.

To take the camera out more this year, other than a trip to Wales and Iceland the camera stayed at home. Well it came fishing the few times I went but I don't count trophy shots as using the camera!

Another trip to the Spanish and French Pyrenees - got a lot done bar the very best Autumn colours in the Ordesa Valley. That and a few other spots I have been meaning to get to but not managed in prior trips. The photography that motivates me the most is non UK so I am placing much more emphasis in my Pyrenean and Alpine locations.

Domestic photography - summer reflections in Loch Cill Chriosd and Lochan na Eilean at Sligachan - at summer - got winter/spring ones and tbh not going to better these conditions wise. And a few shots in Glencoe once it's green - my personal photography back home is taking a back seat until the better weather. My camera only comes out for landscapes if doing workshops. I really do not like the winter and spring these days.

In terms of gear and technical camera and composition ability I am there and I like what I take- processing remains the area I seek to learn more in - and I am investing a lot of time in really mastering curves/levels and re-doing old pictures with the knowledge I have now, that I lacked then...but I still learn and evolve more in this area so more reprocessing and further reprocessing are my winter projects. You are only as good as your weakest link - and mine isn't in front of the camera but behind the computer.

In terms of processing I use Aperture 3 - it does cloning to the level I need and curves (linear and gamma corrected) and levels with 1/4 (shadow), Mid (gamma) and 3/4 (highlights) and white plus black points and will move to C1 pro at somepoint. Using levels gives me the results I want and I use the individual r g b levels/curves to correct colour and/or shift colours to the point I like. But I am still finessing this and look at some and think - what were you thinking and redo it.

I need to get the RAWs backed up externally and renditions as TIFFs. I have a back up Strategy and seek to learn more about file management etc to move my collection over - although I will reprocess all in C1pro when the time comes as it uses a different RAW engine so have them sorted in folders on several external drives. I seek to learn more about C1 before I make the plunge. I cannot get on with LR - tried it and it doesn't do it for me. PS is fine but not enough DAM for me. C1 is the one for how I work.

Last edited:
Just to keep on going places that allows me to make photos that I like. I've always just shot for me, and that won't ever change.

Polar opposite to Steve, I hate the greens of summer, especially the midges in and around the west of Scotland where I love to shoot most, but aim to do more summer stuff this year and see where it takes me (probably east!), as the camera barely left the house summer 2019. Give me winter all year round and I'm happy.

Take fewer but better photo's...the same goal I've had for the past 40 odd years. :)
Know what you mean. One of these days I'll take zero photos, and they'll be BRILLIANT!

My aims are to get out and go places! I'm happy locally in general, want to get to the Brecon's a few times, maybe spend a full day down on the Jurassic Coast, maybe try to book an Airbnb for a few weekends to make the most of it..... I quite like the walking and hiking now, if I get images then that's a bonus sometimes. Also wouldn't mind some all night Astro shooting at some point.

To get through this photography-hump, not feeling it for a while and it saddens me a bit. Don't want to force it though, I know it'll return in time, it always does. And when it does I will try get out and explore a bit more. I think last year 90% of my photos were shot in or around the house and garden.

Just do more......

Use my mamiya RZ67 as I've not touched it in over a year
Replace the light seals on my m645 1000S
Sell the fuji 50-140 and replace my nikon 80-200 that no longer wants to focus accurately

Actually get out with the camera, no real goals other than that.

Take my camera out of the house other than when I'm stepping on a plane.

Take some images out of the ether and actually PRINT some!

Last edited:
Wow! Shazzam! What a load of balls!

I think that you've missed something - on these forums, we're in heaven already (;-)), so we sure don't need your fictitious assistance ...

(That's funny, the poster quoted seems to have vanished ...)

Last edited:
Hustle more for exhibition space ...

The hustle is what gets you there. I may not be the best photographer out there, but I am persistent. I’ve got exhibitions by going out and asking, because if you’re an unknown amateur like most of us on here, galleries and museums don’t tend to come knocking on your door.

Back