What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

First time out for a while and just a wander looking for Hobby's. If anybody knows of a location where there are Hobby's still hunting dragonflies and willing to share I would be grateful PM is fine. Willing to travel a fair distance the last trip was 130 mile each way with only a glimpse but got a few other birds so worth the trouble. Saw one briefly yesterday but will be back for more now I know where. Had more luck with this pigeon who was busy building a nest and kept passing.

Pigeon
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Hobby
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

It may only be a pigeon, but it's pretty spectacular - well I really liked it anyway, great picture

Saw this yesterday, I was trying to work out what it was, as there was no obvious parent near by. Wrong colour for a Moorhen, possibly a young Coot? I did wonder if it was a young Dabchick also....

DSCF4029 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF4025 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Taken at Barnes WWT.

Juve Moorhen. They tend to grey up quite a bit (y)

flypast of a female Sparrowhawk
Well caught Roger, having flown a couple, I know exactly how fast those things move (y)

From today - fight over a fish head

View attachment 108423

kingfisher

View attachment 108424

(struggle with getting the shots really sharp - they seem noisy. Any tips really appreciated - by message is fine as this prob not best thread for that.)

This is the perfect thread to ask those questions, everyone can benefit then :)

The first shot doesn't seem too noisy for iso 800 but the second one looks like you may have cropped the image?

Sharpness and noise are two different things. Up your SS to a faster speed to keep your shots sharp, good technique also helps here, a lot.

you used 1/640 with the Kingfisher, I would try to get my keepers with around 1/1000 or 1/1250 upwards. Then I'd decrease my SS, maybe as low as 1/320 and shoot in small controlled bursts and see how they are by zooming in to 100% on the LCD and verifying.

Thanks @wezza13 Wez - yes the kingfisher I did have the speed low as I'd taken a pic of something else and hadn't put the ss up. The gull shot yes I cropped that one.I found that one hard to process with the birds being white and black. Trying to find the balance between what ISO to use and shutter speed I struggle with.

Back