What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

spotted a goldfinch - first in ages - albeit at the top of a tree!

goldfinch.JPG

Spotted a heron at the river today and then these other 2 - (assuming they are herons who seemed to be asleep) Of course across the other side of the river - couldn't be at my side!

heron.JPG

herons.JPG

It's a juvenile with the large red cap. The male's red head marking is much smaller. They also eat nuts and berries, so perhaps it hasn't quite learned the difference between a peanut and a fir cone yet............

It's a juvenile with the large red cap. The male's red head marking is much smaller. They also eat nuts and berries, so perhaps it hasn't quite learned the difference between a peanut and a fir cone yet............
I wondered if it was a juv, I think that maybe it thinks he or she has got one big grub as grubs are green and he was trying to push into a hole in the post.

Came right over our headsHere it comes.jpg Swallow female.jpg and it was very big, Great Blacked-backed Gull and two Dragonflies this Swallow had in its beak and fed it all to the youngster and it was like watching someone eating spaghetti.

First time out for a while and just a wander looking for Hobby's. If anybody knows of a location where there are Hobby's still hunting dragonflies and willing to share I would be grateful PM is fine. Willing to travel a fair distance the last trip was 130 mile each way with only a glimpse but got a few other birds so worth the trouble. Saw one briefly yesterday but will be back for more now I know where. Had more luck with this pigeon who was busy building a nest and kept passing.

Pigeon
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Hobby
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Back