What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Maybe not the most exciting of subjects, however I liked the way they all stopped and looked up at the same time.
Also I believe this is possibly the first picture I've ever posted on here, so its a practice run.

On a different note I took some slow-mo video of these guys flittering about. They all look so happy and energetic but once slowed down they claw, peck and shove each other at the feeders.

Andy.

4EADF66D-12B2-4960-80FE-1E90AB96A3AD by Andy W, on Flickr

Had a walk around earlier with my newly-acquired D810/Sigma 150-600 combination. It is a very overcast with a leaden-grey sky here in the East Mids so was not really expecting to be able to photograph anything at all.

Below is a quick shot taken at quite high iso. This has been fiddled-with a bit in pp but whilst not the best image shows the aforementioned combination can still pick up some detail even in the trickiest of conditions. Am quite pleased !

Thanks for looking.

Gary

_DSC1875b by gazzer48, on Flickr

Quick one from this morning, with some lovely light, taken with a V2 + 300mm 2.8 + 2x TC for an equivalent focal length of 1610mm.

Very happy to finally get some blue sky before this fantastic bird leaves us for his long journey south.

Will go through them properly this evening :)

Osprey - Juvenile by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Quick one from this morning, with some lovely light, taken with a V2 + 300mm 2.8 + 2x TC for an equivalent focal length of 1610mm.

Very happy to finally get some blue sky before this fantastic bird leaves us for his long journey south.

Will go through them properly this evening :)

Osprey - Juvenile by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

That is some detail given the FL used. You have to be very pleased with such a great image of such an iconic bird. Congrats on getting this.

That is some detail given the FL used. You have to be very pleased with such a great image of such an iconic bird. Congrats on getting this.

Thank you Gary, I am. Got lots to go through whilst he's eating. Lots of different SS used for comparison. First time using the V2 for birding. Not going to have the quality of my D3S but I don't mind sacrificing a bit of quality for focal lengths such as that! :D

Thank you Gary, I am. Got lots to go through whilst he's eating. Lots of different SS used for comparison. First time using the V2 for birding. Not going to have the quality of my D3S but I don't mind sacrificing a bit of quality for focal lengths such as that! :D

Hi wez

I had a V2 back in the day for just this reason. Have to say that I found the IQ a bit poor at anything like high iso. That said, I am rubbish at pp which will have not helped. I might revisit a V2 or V3 at some stage. You are clearly getting the V2 to do a great job !

Hi wez

I had a V2 back in the day for just this reason. Have to say that I found the IQ a bit poor at anything like high iso. That said, I am rubbish at pp which will have not helped. I might revisit a V2 or V3 at some stage. You are clearly getting the V2 to do a great job !

I totally understand. I kept it at 400 iso and lower for that very reason.

It'll be my sunny-day birding kit :)

Ok, I posted a coal tit shot earlier and although was quite happy with it, I decided to see if I could push the D810 files a bit more to give the image a bit more pop.

The motivation for this, well, whilst looking at Kinobe's fantastic stonechat image above I thought that mine from the same camera looked really flat in comparison.

So, the first image is as originally posted, the second has been cropped a bit more, sharpened-up a bit and the tone curve tweaked. I think this shows how much D810 files can be manipulated and much prefer the second image.

Ok, I posted a coal tit shot earlier and although was quite happy with it, I decided to see if I could push the D810 files a bit more to give the image a bit more pop.

The motivation for this, well, whilst looking at Kinobe's fantastic stonechat image above I thought that mine from the same camera looked really flat in comparison.

So, the first image is as originally posted, the second has been cropped a bit more, sharpened-up a bit and the tone curve tweaked. I think this shows how much D810 files can be manipulated and much prefer the second image.

With PP it can certainly change an image drastically.

I do prefer your first one though, as the second image looks way oversharpened (to me).

Was that at the South Inch Michalene and what time, if it was the same brood I seen today, by 15.15 only 8 were left :(.

No up at the messy pond at rodney side - don't expect they'll last long either. (A moorhen wouldn't let the mum take them into the rushes) sad :(

Back