What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

...and 'kiss it with a seal'...?...
Tom, that has to be one of the worst puns I've heard in a long time :p

Nice image though, well spotted and captured (y)

Spotted this Cormorant on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal between Feniscowles and Riley Green - apparently quite a regular..

cormorant-6912.jpg

And a Gull Worm Charming (on a grassy roundabout in the middle of Blackburn), it was stamping/paddling the ground, but every now and again it would bend down and eat something. Not the greatest of images but only had the Canon 24-105mm f4L with me, but something new that I've never seen before...

gull-worm-charming-7708.jpg

gull-worm-charming-7710.jpg

I did a bit of a google and was surprised to find 3 videos on YouTube of a gull doing the exact same thing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OcJstUfD88

Seems ages since I last looked in this thread, so heres a few...

Willow Tit, in the garden! After a few weeks of spit second visits, I managed to photograph it! AN excellent bird anywhere, doubly so in the garden!

willow tit #9 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

willow tit #8 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

chiffchaff, garden

chiffchaff by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

sparrowhawk, over the garden, huge crop!

sparrowhawk by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

nuthatch, 1 of 2 birds visiting the garden

Nuthatch 3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

buzzard over the garden, bitof a crop again

buzzard by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hi Mike,
Like the shots, can I ask which TC you are using and also are you using crop sensor or full frame body?
Thanks
Trevor

Thanks,its the sigma 100-400 and Sigma 1.4 DG EX on a Nikon D500 crop sensor.

It will depend on your camera though if it will AF its a F9 lens with the 1.4

Last edited:
Martin two Q's do they stay long and 2nd how does one tell kids from adults I presume head but would rather learn from you

cool images hide windows are always so high here shame

stu
Hello Stu, bit slow getting back but I don't get on here often enough. The Spoonbills only stayed until mid day the following day when they flew off South. Juveniles have lighter coloured bills and black tips to the wing feathers.

Regards the hides, yeah the viewpoint can be a bit high in some and to get a low viewpoint you have to put up with the sun in the wrong position for the majority of the day. Good news though is a new hide is being erected this week on the North Moors pool and fingers crossed it will be sited low down. Just hope the windows will be wide enough to accommodate the 600mm f4. :)

These 3 swans landed on my local pond, where there is a pair of resident swans and 1 cygnet.
What happened after is something I have never observed before. When the 3 swans landed then soon attacked the cygnet, then all hell broke loose, with parents soon entering the fray. Very quickly the parents chased off the 3 swans.

3 swans in flight by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr

Thanks,its the sigma 100-400 and Sigma 1.4 DG EX on a Nikon D500 crop sensor.

It will depend on your camera though if it will AF its a F9 lens with the 1.4

Thanks Mike, I'ms canon user with 7D mk2 and canon 10-400 Mk1, have had a play with a 1.4 converter, my pics were nowhere near as sharp as yours, AF only works on centre focal point.
Guess it could be poor settings or poor technique, must try harder.
Thanks for your response
Regards
Trevor

Back