What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

And a rather distant female Kestrel (at least I think so...)

kestrel-7775.jpg

Correct (y)

Having parted with my Nikon D7200 I am now left with a relatively lowly D3100 to play with before I decide which body I want next. The D500 seems the way forward but the D850 is looking very tempting. Anyway, enough gear talk.

Below is a chaffinch taken in very dark overcast light with the D3100/Sigma 150-600C set-up. It is not the best image but at least I was able to capture something !

DSC_0588 by gazzer48, on Flickr

Having parted with my Nikon D7200 I am now left with a relatively lowly D3100 to play with before I decide which body I want next. The D500 seems the way forward but the D850 is looking very tempting. Anyway, enough gear talk.

Below is a chaffinch taken in very dark overcast light with the D3100/Sigma 150-600C set-up. It is not the best image but at least I was able to capture something !

DSC_0588 by gazzer48, on Flickr

Not bad at all Gary, lovely accurate colours and some decent feather detail, background twigs are all part of its environment. :)

Not bad at all Gary, lovely accurate colours and some decent feather detail, background twigs are all part of its environment. :)

Hi gramps, thanks for the kind words. Annoyingly, the sun is now shining here but I have things to do; such is the joy of wildlife photography !

Also, the D3100 is unbelievably sluggish to focus compared to the D7200, I was pleased to capture anything at all, really.

Thanks again.

Gary.

Another from earlier. I know it is not a great shot or unusual bird, and this one took a lot of recovering in photoshop, but I was delighted that my new low-budget wildlife camera body (D3100) did a good job in very tricky conditions. As we all know, these are filtty little birds.

DSC_0556b by gazzer48, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have a flock of black headed gulls that like me to feed them , They are very tame now and stand on the handrails of my boat , Quite content for about 10 minutes then they start shouting , Just incase I have not noticed them, they stand into the wind , The light was behind the bird

DSC_3014.JPG

@Kinobe two nice shots but the Kez is a beauty (y)

I've not been around much lately, but after a quick catch up, there are some cracking images posted guys (y)

Just a boring one from me, not sure what that is on its back, but it does look like it has its own camera :D

129A2898.jpg

More for ID than anything, the beach was littered with them. Sandpipers?
Heavy crops, I was only shooting landscape with a 24-105 crop body.

129A2977.jpg

129A2978.jpg

And the only good gull is one that is leaving...
( those that know what I do for a living will understand :D )

129A2979.jpg

More for ID than anything, the beach was littered with them. Sandpipers?
Heavy crops, I was only shooting landscape with a 24-105 crop body.

View attachment 112212

Light coloured ones I think are Sanderlings and the darker ones look like Turnstones, no doubt someone will be ready to jump in if I'm not right!

Back