What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

…because of the heavy rains, lately, the dam
maintenance team decided to cut down 2 trees
that were leaning too much…

Too bad for the trees but It created a new window
on the marsh for me…

D2147%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
The Coal Tit fledglings came to eat on their own today, I couldn't see the parents anywhere, so I assume they have completely fledged?

Also, after trying for two years to encourage the Goldfinches to the garden they seem to be regular visitors now, but.......they nearly always seem to land on the washing line and not the feeding perches I have around the garden. This is about my best photo so far of one.

Coal Tit Fledglings by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Goldfinch. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

There are worse ways

I think you're a tad too soft here, I would say
"they're all worst ways…" I like theses fellows
so much.

This take, btw, is very good but the rendition is
really kicking in, superb! (y)

Juvenile Starling on the harbour wall at Seahouses :)

View attachment 67644

I was watching the seahouses harbour young starlings this morning whist I ate my Friday morning bacon sarnie (weekly occurrence!). Are you local or just here on holiday? They are great birds to watch and fearless when young.

A few from a Mull. I did see the Goldies and Sea Eagles nesting but they were about 2 miles up in the sky! Had a lovely view of a Harrier catching a Wheatear right in front of me when I was driving. Had nice weather too.
I forgot to say superb photography, first class.

Is that a Common Sandpiper and its got a ring on it, is there any way you can zoom in on the ring to get the numbers, I love this sort of thing. Who ringed that wader, where and when. A silver ring is a B.T.O ring on the right leg.

Last edited:
Is that a Common Sandpiper and its got a ring on it, is there any way you can zoom in on the ring to get the numbers, I love this sort of thing. Who ringed that wader, where and when. A silver ring is a B.T.O ring on the right leg.
It is and I've tried to look at it on a couple of other pics of the same bird. Can't make any numbers out, it was at distance and cropped so is impossible to read.

I was watching the seahouses harbour young starlings this morning whist I ate my Friday morning bacon sarnie (weekly occurrence!). Are you local or just here on holiday? They are great birds to watch and fearless when young.
Just on holiday, staying in Seahouses for several trips to the Farne Islands ... also did an Owl Workshop taking in all 7 British Owls + others. Hoping the weather will stay kind to us, next trip to the Farnes is tomorrow (Sunday) :)

Just on holiday, staying in Seahouses for several trips to the Farne Islands ... also did an Owl Workshop taking in all 7 British Owls + others. Hoping the weather will stay kind to us, next trip to the Farnes is tomorrow (Sunday) :)

Very nice, looking forward to some Puffin shots when you get back :)

I'll hopefully visit there in a couple of weeks, as there were no tours happening when we headed back from Scotland, due to the weather :(

Very nice, looking forward to some Puffin shots when you get back :)

I'll hopefully visit there in a couple of weeks, as there were no tours happening when we headed back from Scotland, due to the weather :(
Thanks Wez, it's been great so far and loads of pics but tethering to the iPad in a poor coverage area isn't great for uploading! The weather in recent weeks has been bad for the islands and the birds but it's been good this week and looks fairly positive for next ... Billy Shiel's boats very busy! :)

Sounds great. Could you send me a link or similar to the owl workshop? Sounds very interesting.

D2909%20EDpp.jpg

…a happy Coot!

D3139%20EDpp.jpg

…a happy Coot!

D3139%20EDpp.jpg

Morning Sir,

That's better Daniel, but I hate to tell you that the highlights are still slightly blown and although you have captured the "pink" in the beak there is a little more there.

Plus I am still not going to swim in that water

Greetings Bill,
That's better
than…
the highlights are still slightly blown and although you have captured the "pink" in the beak there is a little more there.
I was very careful to get the best at both ends of the
histogram in these conditions 003/255 : 253/255.

Plus I am still not going to swim in that water
That would be a shame! The green is the reflection of the
trees and vegetation on that shady side of the marsh. A

look to camera right would offer a sky reflection and blue
water. This is a source of pride for the local environmental
authorities: the quality of the water in the river network.

Greetings Bill,
than…
I was very careful to get the best at both ends of the
histogram in these conditions 003/255 : 253/255.

That would be a shame! The green is the reflection of the
trees and vegetation on that shady side of the marsh. A

look to camera right would offer a sky reflection and blue
water. This is a source of pride for the local environmental
authorities: the quality of the water in the river network.

my effort would be

You may prefer it you may not

(hope it come up true on here)

My effort
Coot_Daniel.jpg

original
Coot_Daniel_2.jpg

Last edited:
my effort would be

Yes I can see.

Instead of having a white to pink forehead, a greyish white
to greyish pink. This bird has a crazy colours selection:
anthracite feathers on the body, dead black ones on its neck
and head and that patch of high key surface in the face… plus
the red eyes! Very difficult to get the best of everything.

Yes I can see.

Instead of having a white to pink forehead, a greyish white
to greyish pink. This bird has a crazy colours selection:
anthracite feathers on the body, dead black ones on its neck
and head and that patch of high key surface in the face… plus
the red eyes! Very difficult to get the best of everything.

I think that it can be white ... and other shades ......... but as you always say "micro" adjustments to get the best out of the shot

It is a good image

This one, taken yesterday early morning, is treated
the same way in PP.

One may argue rightfully that the whites are better but,
as it is clear to see, the blacks suffer through the reflec-
liveness of the feathers themselves produced by the

keratin proteins they are made of.

Both pictures, in their own specific environmental light
is giving a good descriptive idea of the bird, I think.

D2212%20EDpp.jpg

Just grab shots through window and heavy drizzle.

Flickr doesn't seem to be working tonight, so will try loading here.

These visitors arrived in the garden today, looking at my book am I right in thinking it's a Male and Female Siskin?

DSC_5286.jpg

Last edited:

…a splendid day ended, within an hour, into a very
scary electric storm with powerful wind. It lasted for
an hour and then the magic: the Sun sneaked under
the remaining clouds…

D3342%20EDpp.jpg

There nothing like a silhouette of a duck in takeoff in an orange sunset, nice one.

Back