What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Its that time of year again(Winter) that i return to a bit of "Birding"...I havent been out that often yet, but i hope to try to get out there, to capture some half sensible shots of Birds.

This Robin allowed me to get quite close to it(unlike the Robin in my garden!!) who is very nervous.

Robin (up close!). 4th December 2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

A Mallard (Drake) image is not cropped.

Mallard (uncropped). 19th-November-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

My local pond has 5 Little Grebs in residence, but as yet, i cant get close to them!...so a large crop for this image.

Little Grebe(one of 5 seen).

11th-December-2016.
by Testudo Man, on Flickr

A Cormorant about to regurgitate!
Pleased with this shot, because the Cormorant was approx 25 feet up a tree...and i was at least 50 feet distance from the subject.

Cormorant about to regurgitate!! 11th-December-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

And last up...a couple of Waxwings.
But shot in very poor/murky light/conditions!
There are only 3 Waxwings at this location, but we dont have many of em down here in Kent yet!!...So Im hoping to get another chance with these beauties, when better light is available.

Waxwings at Strood, Kent. (poor light!). 18th-December-2016 by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Waxwings at Strood, Kent. (poor light!). 18th-December-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Cheers Paul.

P.S. All shot using Nikon V1/FT1/Nikon AFS 300mm f/4 lens.

A few from yesterday, despite being a very common bird, they tend to be quite shy... I don't normally see them on the feeding tables at a local picnic site

Blackbird

blackbird-2020.jpg

I think I got spotted...

blackbird-2039.jpg

blackbird-2049.jpg

A bird that saw me Today :)

spot.jpg

Cracking shot Brian, looks like it would stand a crop? Lovely bg for what looks like poor light (y)

Managed half an hour this morning on a few Rowen trees where a flock of Waxwing have been feeding, no joy but there were a number of Fieldfare

Tricky light, bright sun but the birds stayed well in shade :banghead: would have loved a nice shot in some good light

Shot @ 5000 ISO to compensate for the poor light

Fieldfare resized.jpg

Cracking shot Brian, looks like it would stand a crop? Lovely bg for what looks like poor light (y)

I was running uber high ISO so it's noise central. If I cropped it in you'd see there is bugger all feather detail :(

I was running uber high ISO so it's noise central. If I cropped it in you'd see there is bugger all feather detail :(

Shame, this time last year we had 6 Shorties, all local on the moors, non this year.............I really miss them! :crying: :D

I saw my first short-eared owls, first wren (which I first thought might be a cetti's warbler but now more certain it's a wren) and first pintail today, as well as robin, stonechat, lapwings, redshanks, oystercatchers, gulls (I'm not good enough yet at identifying the different gulls)
No need for constructive cristism on my owl pics as I already know they are not great, the light was just not great when they were flying, sun was almost on the horizon and the owls were not flying very high so they were not getting much light on them, so i was having to try and find the best shutter speed to be fast enough to try and keep the image sharp, but also slow enough so that it was not to dark, i had to use higher ISO as well. Also because most of the time they stayed quite low there was all the foliage and stuff so the camera did find it hard to focus on the owls (i was using auto focus)
Anyhow I am just posting these pics as I am so pleased that i finally managed to see the short-eared owls on my fourth attempt.

Short-eared owl by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Short-eared owl by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Short-eared owls by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Short-eared owl perching by Jason Evans, on Flickr

short-eared owls fighting by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Wren by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Perched robin at farlington marshes by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Perching stonechat at Farlington marashes 22.12.2016 by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Great shots Jason
This thread isn't for critique really, that's what the main page is for.
Here you can post for pleasure.

Yep that is unusual ... did he get it down?
Not too sure, didn't see it consume it Roger. I don't think it really knew what to do with it. Spent a while just dragging it around by the tail & I think at one point it thought it might be a good idea to try and drown it.:D

Not too sure, didn't see it consume it Roger. I don't think it really knew what to do with it. Spent a while just dragging it around by the tail & I think at one point it thought it might be a good idea to try and drown it.:D
They do often play with their food ... and then drop it! :D

Nice new Sigma 150-600 contemporary from Santa so despite poor weather I thought I would get out and try it today at the local pond/mini lake plus a couple of Starlings (I believe) through the lounge window that could seriously do with a good clean tomorrow and a very cheeky pheasant that has recently started to visit us.

Lens Test by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

untitled-49.jpg by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

untitled-23.jpg by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

untitled-10.jpg by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

untitled-36.jpg by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Back