What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

For the first time ever I had a couple of goldfinches at my feeders in the garden. :)
No shots though. Waiting to see if it brightens up a bit, and I might go out and see if the dippers are about. :)

Ring, any numbers off it.

It was dire light so was shooting at F4 and therefore not much dof but already tried to get a number looks like 835? I will be trying again over the next few weeks so am sure will get the full numbers as both birds are ringed

17201452_10155097035057052_6590498932616997327_n.jpg

Sorry to keeping asking but could you say where the Dipper was, there are birders I know that ring Dippers and they are not online at the moment but would really be interested in the location.

Sorry to keeping asking but could you say where the Dipper was, there are birders I know that ring Dippers and they are not online at the moment but would really be interested in the location.

It was in Staffordshire Shirley, I will try and get both tags better another day ?

Nuthatch (I think) by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Please correct me if I am wrong about it being a Nuthatch lol

It's a Chaffinch (y)

Not sure where you got Nuthatch from lol?

If you haven't got a bird ID book, I highly recommend getting one. There are plenty of good ones about but, for a beginner, the RSPB pocket one will do you (y)

Last edited:
Kingfisher pair returned to the nesting site opposite the Kingfisher Hide at Slimbridge today.
The last two years the nesting has not been completed, being abandoned after several weeks, so the Chief Warden has decided to take precautions this year and the windows facing the nest have been secured shut to avoid distracting noise. Although this will be a great shame from a photography point of view it is to be hoped that the Kingfishers will breed successfully this year.

View attachment 97789

Large crop using Nikon D500 + 500 f4 + TC 1.7 E-ll

Kingfisher pair returned to the nesting site opposite the Kingfisher Hide at Slimbridge today.
You certainly manage to find the good light Roger (y)
And lets hope the precautions pays dividends this year :)

You certainly manage to find the good light Roger (y)
And lets hope the precautions pays dividends this year :)
Thanks Chris, I find the light quite frustrating really, sometimes too dull others too harsh!
Beautiful day today but the light was so harsh that it was impossible not to blow whites or lose contrast, which affects focus ... especially with the TC fitted :(
If the Kingfishers raise one brood they will release the windows on the basis that they are unlikely to abandon the nest then ... the nest is so far away that without an open window any sort of shot will be guesswork.
However the breeding of the birds is the most important issue :)

Thanks Chris, I find the light quite frustrating really, sometimes too dull others too harsh!
Its just been dull and flat around here for ages, I must be due for a change at some point :(
I'd even accept harsh, if only for a change.

Its just been dull and flat around here for ages, I must be due for a change at some point :(
I wish you bright sun behind thin cloud for the perfect diffused light :D

The last two years the nesting has not been completed, being abandoned after several weeks, so the Chief Warden has decided to take precautions this year and the windows facing the nest have been secured shut to avoid distracting noise. Although this will be a great shame from a photography point of view it is to be hoped that the Kingfishers will breed successfully this year.

No machine guns in the hide for a bit then.....................:)

Back