What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Dunnock...
Superb (y)

Just one minor comment, I don't mind the frames / water marks per se, but with the Dunnock,
going through a twig(?) on the RHS like that, makes it look distorted.

Maybe clone / healing tool that bit out and then add the frame?

Last edited:
Superb (y)

Just one minor comment, I don't mind the frames / water marks per se, but with the Dunnock,
going through a twig(?) on the RHS like that, makes it look distorted.

Maybe clone / healing tool that bit out and then add the frame?
Oooh yeah you're right it does look a bit weird. :D Thanks for the comment too (y)

@charlychuckchuck Good to meet you today Charlie and what a guide, Waxwings, Buzzards, a fly by Male Hen Harrier and Peregrine Falcon all on the outskirts of Manchester! :clap:(y) :D

And what are the chances of this............I'm driving down the outside lane of the A627(M) approaching the roundabout interchange with the M62 in me pick-up. The traffic is slow moving, stop start, when a Buzzard comes and lands on a tree in the middle of the wide grassy central reservation.

Not only do I have me camera sat next to me, but the traffic stops for no more than a few seconds, right where I have a gap through some trees.

I have the missus going on in me ear shouting ' you can't hang out the window taking pictures here!' but I did anyway :D The bloke behind even looked like he understood,.........:thinking:.... another togger off TP maybe??? :LOL:

Never going to be perfect but the chances had to be slim and too good an opportunity to miss! :D

Perched Buzzard-resized.jpg

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't really ask in this thread but i'm only after a simple thoughtful answer from you who have probably seen most of the images I've posted..and.. it is this..
Do any of you think I should trade in my Tamron 150-600 for the Nikon 200-500mm ?
I've perused numerous articles and opinions online and I feel the Nikon could have the edge in the usual dull / overcast light of the uk.
Anyone moved from the Tam to Nik ?

I know I shouldn't really ask in this thread but i'm only after a simple thoughtful answer from you who have probably seen most of the images I've posted..and.. it is this..
Do any of you think I should trade in my Tamron 150-600 for the Nikon 200-500mm ?
I've perused numerous articles and opinions online and I feel the Nikon could have the edge in the usual dull / overcast light of the uk.
Can't you borrow one to try it? That guy you were with when I bumped into you at rozelle was using one on a D500.

Can't you borrow one to try it? That guy you were with when I bumped into you at rozelle was using one on a D500.
I did have a wee shot hand held but as you know I prefer using the tripod and his lensfoot wouldn't fit my head. So it never helped me that day.

I always love seeing your shots as it puts me and my Tammy 150-600 to shame!

FWIW, I hired a 200-500 in view of replacing my Tamron. AF was slower on the Nikon, it's heavier and (for me) not a lot of difference in IQ. For almost twice the price, it's not worth it IMO (y)

I always love seeing your shots as it puts me and my Tammy 150-600 to shame!

FWIW, I hired a 200-500 in view of replacing my Tamron. AF was slower on the Nikon, it's heavier and (for me) not a lot of difference in IQ. For almost twice the price, it's not worth it IMO (y)
Thanks Wez, much appreciated.

Putting this in here, from the other day when I managed to capture the Waxwings. Didn't want to make a thread of its own as the focus point is on the wing and not the eye, cropped to remove twigs etc, so wasn't going to post it. Did a little bit of sharpening to the eye to improve it a little.

Waxwing by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

(y) Care to share the kit used?

Ah right, I can see LR didn't export the Exif properly to Flickr.

You'll be surprised to learn ..
Camera = Olympus OMD E-M1
Lens = 40-150mm f4 - 5.6 R (Yes, it is the Cheapo lens ....)
The lens was almost fully zoomed at 128mm ( equal 256mm on a FF)
Aperture f7.1
Shutter spd 1/400
ISO 640

The trick was a bridge over the enclosure allowed me to get near the top of the tree and I poked the lens through the enclosure fencing, just managed to get the one shot before he sussed me and flew away.

Almost as good as my Canon 300mm f2.8 !!

Ah right, I can see LR didn't export the Exif properly to Flickr.

You'll be surprised to learn ..
Camera = Olympus OMD E-M1
Lens = 40-150mm f4 - 5.6 R (Yes, it is the Cheapo lens ....)
The lens was almost fully zoomed at 128mm ( equal 256mm on a FF)
Aperture f7.1
Shutter spd 1/400
ISO 640

The trick was a bridge over the enclosure allowed me to get near the top of the tree and I poked the lens through the enclosure fencing, just managed to get the one shot before he sussed me and flew away.

Almost as good as my Canon 300mm f2.8 !!
Well done ... you can't complain at that can you :)

They never look that bright do they? :D

Nicely captured Roger (y)
Thanks Chris ,,, no there is just something about that 'look', especially when you are bearing down on them on a country lane! :D

Back