What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Young Coot resting

Very cool work, Gary!

I think you could go one step further …

Young%20Coot%20resting.jpg

Last edited:
taking the time to work on the image.

Sorry to disappoint you, Gary, but I didn't do it!

Three pixel editors students did, as an exercise.
Once done, the better copy was selected and
presented.

Some will call these too dark.

I'm sure 'some' would say if they did, personally I think the Cormorant is a stunning shot, it certainly doesn't look under-exposed like 'some' shots I've seen ;)

Another first last night, Long-eared Owlets.

Not the ones I've been following either, someone was kind enough to put me onto another local'ish pair with fledglings :)

Spotted by the wife, high in the tree canopy after a good 20 minutes of looking :kiss:

Conditions were terrible, wind and rain, shot hand held @ 1/320th, f6.3, ISO 16000 with the camera pointed near vertical ( why didn't I take a tripod! :banghead:). Was fortunate to find a clear way through the branches, this owlet is leaning forward, giving the impression of a different pov than we actually had.

Lovely to see and get a few record shot

View attachment 103578

Another first last night, Long-eared Owlets.

Not the ones I've been following either, someone was kind enough to put me onto another local'ish pair with fledglings :)

Spotted by the wife, high in the tree canopy after a good 20 minutes of looking :kiss:

Conditions were terrible, wind and rain, shot hand held @ 1/320th, f6.3, ISO 16000 with the camera pointed near vertical ( why didn't I take a tripod! :banghead:). Was fortunate to find a clear way through the branches, this owlet is leaning forward, giving the impression of a different pov than we actually had.

Lovely to see and get a few record shot

View attachment 103578
Well done Lyn :)

A little disappointed with this shot, underexposed by a stop and not pin sharp but I like the wing position and the light was good :)

@Phil-D ......make a note to remember to turn bracketing off after shooting landscapes on way over to see owls!!! :banghead::banghead::D

LEO 10.jpg

And a record shot of both Owlets, the smaller one in the open will be the younger of the two, possibly by a few days

View attachment 103794

Last edited:
A little disappointed with this shot, underexposed by a stop and not pin sharp but I like the wing position and the light was good :)

@Phil-D ......make a note to remember to take bracketing off after shooting landscapes on way over to see owls!!! :banghead::banghead::D

View attachment 103792

And a record shot of both Owlets, the smaller one in the open will be the younger of the two, possibly by a few days

View attachment 103794
Love the eyes in the youngster (y)

Love the eyes in the youngster (y)

Yes, they're lovely Roger, its been a while coming for me, seeing LEO Owlets branching.

Last year no sign of breeding, the year before I had a good idea of where the nest was, just didn't want to disturb them,

Hard to believe these are shot from the side of a country lane, very obliging they've been :D

Back