What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Daniel she is a silver call duck. Call ducks were bred around the turn of the last century,not the one just turned. They were bred to be carried out onto the marshes and tethered to act as a decoy for wildfowlers to draw in wild duck,two factors were principal in what the guys wanted to breed back then :eek:ne that they would be small...easy to carry(imagine carrying 4 Aylesbury's on to a marsh lol) and two, that bloody noisy quack to call in the wild ducks from distance.....always makes me feel like they are laughing

Daniel I keep them, have shown them, was brit waterfowl breeder of the year or something at one time. Orininally they were just mallard coloured or white,but now they come in a huge variety of standardised colours. Mate you ought to see then as ducklings they are just about the cutest thing on the planet. They are actually a genetic dwarf see how short the beak is legs are small too. The beak is a real give away isolating this from a minature silver appleyard or similar.

Ahh mate it's a shame some folks get ducks domestic and wild,keep them a while and then dump them,we have the same here but it's not just the domestic ducks getting dumped things like mandarins are too,which shouldn't really be part of our ecosystem,even though they are a joy to see. Sure sometimes they simply escape as with the north american ruddy duck which can cause real problems for native species.......read about euopean white headed duck and NARD's.

There ya go buddy for once a little give back for all the times you have tried to help me with this game of photography

She's a cutie, so a photography question ,I'd bet she carries a black saddle across that dark blue bill,is there any possible way that more detail could have been captured with a back lit image such as this on a predominantly white bird with a very dark bill?. Mate I think you did well and maybe I'm asking for something that is simply not possible,but hey nothing to lose

take care

stu

Just had goose dumping on the lake i use,these two turned up the other day,

DSC_6474.jpg

…late afternoon yesterday!

C0222%20EDpp.jpg

Just had goose dumping on the lake i use,these two turned up the other day,

View attachment 58532

Frustrating Mike ARRGGGHHHHH....., white goose left leg...... mate if you can catch it ,walk it into a corner grab neck just below head and (VERY gently but with enough force) get other arm over the wings ... hmm actually what ever. ,jump on it.... get that bloody ring off, it is WAY WAY too tight. Really as a possible first timer you want a buddy there too one to hold birdy another to remove ring,if skin broken( too tired I can't think but) maybe purple terramycin anticeptic spray

How ever much hardship that bird might go through on catch,it will be nowt to what will come from that ring.

Mate please hear me, that guy might give one a nip, a slap with a leading wing edge but any slap would be for him and doing him a complete service. you have a spiral ring there that should be slipping freely not stretched tight get rspca on that if you can't do it buddy. Ring needs off NOW

Mikey thanks for posting i'm bloody shattered mate and if anything sits not right in my poor post please forgive in not in anyway is it directed at you bro...... I'm beyond fuming but know that ring needs off, for the fella, the fact that someone winds a shackle around a leg of the wrong size and then chucks that bird away gives me right to be a little upset I guess

do this for me please bro I don't know your physical capacites, if you can't no worries get someone on this for him

take care kiddo this is monster thanks for sharing we will help a fella here...... cool for a pic huh !!!!!!!!

Stu

Frustrating Mike ARRGGGHHHHH....., white goose left leg...... mate if you can catch it ,walk it into a corner grab neck just below head and (VERY gently but with enough force) get other arm over the wings ... hmm actually what ever. ,jump on it.... get that bloody ring off, it is WAY WAY too tight. Really as a possible first timer you want a buddy there too one to hold birdy another to remove ring,if skin broken( too tired I can't think but) maybe purple terramycin anticeptic spray

How ever much hardship that bird might go through on catch,it will be nowt to what will come from that ring.

Mate please hear me, that guy might give one a nip, a slap with a leading wing edge but any slap would be for him and doing him a complete service. you have a spiral ring there that should be slipping freely not stretched tight get rspca on that if you can't do it buddy. Ring needs off NOW

Mikey thanks for posting i'm bloody shattered mate and if anything sits not right in my poor post please forgive in not in anyway is it directed at you bro...... I'm beyond fuming but know that ring needs off, for the fella, the fact that someone winds a shackle around a leg of the wrong size and then chucks that bird away gives me right to be a little upset I guess

do this for me please bro I don't know your physical capacites, if you can't no worries get someone on this for him

take care kiddo this is monster thanks for sharing we will help a fella here...... cool for a pic huh !!!!!!!!

Stu

Struggling with a mobile connection at the moment as my modem has gone down,if i get chance i will do what you ask,swans or geese hold no fear for me,ime bigger than both ;),it was on the water today giving the Swan a good kicking for getting too close to its mate.

A splendid spring day, enjoying the sun for two
hours at the marsh…

C0082%20EDpp.jpg

… and just before I left…

C0085%20EDpp.jpg

Struggling with a mobile connection at the moment as my modem has gone down,if i get chance i will do what you ask,swans or geese hold no fear for me,ime bigger than both ;),it was on the water today giving the Swan a good kicking for getting too close to its mate.
Cheers buddy, please do....nowt worse than knowing how much damage that ring can cause,I hate utterly needless suffering in any beastie. Cool on the no fear,ha they always seem smaller in the hand (always point the other end from the beak at someone else mate;):)) diy is fine it will just unwind once the first bit is ,how can I say unscrewed from the leg,just a matter of turning the ring on the leg to unwind it . Thanks Mike, honestly mate you will do him such a favour,Ha knew he was the daddy, Every thing seems to be kicking now for breeding time.

Ahh mate, heading nearly back to topic watched the best hare boxing today I have ever seen ,too far for decent pics ,but might have some record shots.(best add roe and muntjac to the beasties list

and back to topic,stonechat wren bluetit greatit longtailed titmice robin dunnock kez buteo,spar SEO's Barnie's probable greylags don't think canadas (dark silouette), frenchmen, pheassie raven rocok crow jackies sure there's more but wanna look see is I managed a piccy now.
Take care buddy much appreciation if ya can get that ring off him.

Stu

sorry, no photos, but a single bullfinch was digging around in the grass earlier - always a pleasure to see such a lovely bird in the garden :)

A rather quiet and low profile individual on the waters of the marsh!

A Barnacle goose shot by my son and PP'ed by daddy…

7756%20SOpp.jpg

A couple of photography firsts for me today, Dipper and Goldcrest.

I have a few more of the Dipper, although these are only record shots, I might have one or two more that's a little better :)

Dipper by Phil D, on Flickr

Goldcrest by Phil D, on Flickr

Stu

This is the picture it wouldn't let me post via the dongle

DSC_7383.jpg

Good shot Alan ... did you get a few more - showing what happened to the fish?

Last edited:
Good shot Alan ... did you get a few more - showing what happened to the fish?

Here it is trying hard to swallow it, with no success. It dropped the fish about 5 times and re-tried before giving up

Greedy Grebe Gagging by Lapidoth, on Flickr

Here is an older grebe showing how it should be done. Taken the same day about 15 minutes after the juvenile's attempt

Great Crested Grebe Feeding 1 by Lapidoth, on Flickr

Great Crested Grebe Feeding 2 by Lapidoth, on Flickr

Great Crested Grebe Feeding 4 by Lapidoth, on Flickr

…an other visit at the marsh… a boring grey weather
that opened when the sun got low enough and only for
a very shot time!

C0338%20EDpp.jpg

Very cool takes Martin
but the rendition is not constant!

Cheers Kodiak, they are not a set of photos just snapshots of the birds I saw during the day. The Dunnock was taken hours before the other two on a dog walk. The duck and owl were chance encounters whilst out looking for a Short Eared Owl. Happy with chance encounters like this though.

You are posting some really good shots Geoff - sometimes I feel that they are a bit too (un-naturally) warm - but I always tend to see this - are you a Canon Shooter?

IMHO, you can do a bit more with the shadows, processing etc., Tom .. give it a bit more sparkle!

Back