What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

a few from today's "window seat"

Really wet day today, wet all week, so far, I worry for some the young birds

could not venture out

a very wet young Jay

Jay_16th.jpg

Young Blackbird

young_bb.jpg

The male Cirl came in briefly

Cirl_16th_2.jpg

and a Great Spotted - juvenile - who was looking really rough, the image and pp flatters him

GSW_16th.jpg

They spotted something
spotted_16th.jpg

this is what they spotted - works every time!!!! - (there are 6 in the brood - never been able to get all 6 at once in a shot)

this_16th.jpg

and not forgetting me, (that's young Larry who chases off the Young Jays) .. who also got very wet, today

Magpie_16th.jpg

Last edited:

1 and 4…
I love those.
My time will come hopefully!

Had a Sigma 150-600mm C and dock delivered late yesterday afternoon, couldn't resist having a play, so off we went down to North Gower toady to see what was about. Loads of birds at distance on Penclawdd Marsh Islands as the tide was out, but manged a couple of grabs of these Shelducks, another first for me. Although, even with 600mm on FF I could of done with more reach

Lens seems nicely built, just need to tune it with the body and try it with my Kenko 1.4TC.

Shelduck coming into land. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_4696 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Shelduck coming in to land! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Shelducks feeding. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
a few from today's "window seat"

Really wet day today, wet all week, so far, I worry for some the young birds

could not venture out

a very wet young Jay

Jay_16th.jpg

Young Blackbird

young_bb.jpg

The male Cirl came in briefly

Cirl_16th_2.jpg

and a Great Spotted - juvenile - who was looking really rough, the image and pp flatters him

GSW_16th.jpg

They spotted something
spotted_16th.jpg

this is what they spotted - works every time!!!! - (there are 6 in the brood - never been able to get all 6 at once in a shot)

this_16th.jpg

and not forgetting me, (that's young Larry who chases off the Young Jays) .. who also got very wet, today

Magpie_16th.jpg
Can you say where you saw the Cirl, that is really a great bird.

Sorry! .....another shot of the Kestrel chicks :D

Tried to bring them out more with a bit of PP'ing, possibly overdone??
m1703.gif

And a Nuthatch from the weekend :)

Kestrel chicks...... by Phil D, on Flickr

Nuthatch by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
This time last year I was following 3 breeding pairs of Long-eared Owls, this year there's no sign of any breeding activity :(.......and the owls seem very elusive.

I think this ones a 1st year juvenile ( I could well be wrong :D) from a pair that bred last year at different site.

Long-eared Owl out hunting by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots , Simon.

Like the Coal Tit. Looks like that lens may be a winner? :)

Thanks Wez,

Pleased so far with limited testing, I also bought the dock so need to fine tune with it!. Have you had your Tamron back, if so working okay now?

Thanks Wez,

Pleased so far with limited testing, I also bought the dock so need to fine tune with it!. Have you had your Tamron back, if so working okay now?

Have fun down the fine-tuning rabbit hole! :D

Got my lens back the day before I went to Scotland so, luckily, I was able to take it with me.

They did a f/w update and gave it a clean apparently.

Still doesn't give good results over 500mm so I've resorted to using that as my limit now and try to keep it on F8 or F9. Not the best aperture in our light but at least our D810's can handle high iso well.

On the plus side, the AF has only frozen on me once since having it back, compared to it doing it quite a lot before it was sent away.

Going to AF tune it again this weekend, one last time :)

Have fun down the fine-tuning rabbit hole! :D

Got my lens back the day before I went to Scotland so, luckily, I was able to take it with me.

They did a f/w update and gave it a clean apparently.

Still doesn't give good results over 500mm so I've resorted to using that as my limit now and try to keep it on F8 or F9. Not the best aperture in our light but at least our D810's can handle high iso well.

On the plus side, the AF has only frozen on me once since having it back, compared to it doing it quite a lot before it was sent away.

Going to AF tune it again this weekend, one last time :)

I have some old squares from when I was on the tools, so will use them for tuning (BF/FF) along with the Dock. One of the reasons I went for the Sigma was the dock, just need to RTFM how to use it!...... From my initial testing I need to wind back from 600mm slightly for better sharpness, but it seems good wide open compared to stopping down to f8.

Have you spoken to Tamron regarding the lens still freezing as you would expect the FW update would cure it?

Some great shots on here as usual. All photos on this page are absolutely fantastic, such a variety as well. Here's some Eiders some Oystercatchers and an Angry Stonechat. Not the best shots but a nice way to spend half an hour on the beach... The Eiders are more and more endearing each time I see them and I hope to watch the throughout the year and learn their behaviour more.

Eider Duck and Ducklings by WillWA, on Flickr

Female Eider Duck by WillWA, on Flickr

Female Eider Ducks by WillWA, on Flickr

Oyster Catchers by WillWA, on Flickr

Angry Stonechat by WillWA, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! Keep up the good work everyone!

…duck landing…

D2043%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
Got the chance to photograph some gorgeous wee Mallard ducklings and their lovely mammy yesterday at my local wildfowl reserve. A first for me seeing them that close never mind catching them on camera. I couldve watched them all day! I know the focus isn't 100% on the 2 baby ones but I just loved their wee characters.

Day173All the Ducks 058.jpg Day173All the Ducks 059.jpg Day173All the Ducks 083.jpg

Is that the proverbial ugly duckling Mike?

Last edited:
Back