What car do you drive?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Since giving up sports bikes and being windswept and interesting (come on, I'm an accountant and needed something! :LOL:), I figured I'll never be able to match the performance in a car on my salary - so I go for a car for other reasons.

Was Honda Accord petrol - nice handling with bullet proof reliability. Bad mpg.
Now Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi - seems well put together and disgustingly good mpg

What do you drive and what do you think of your car?

New Mondeo looks good - quite fancy one as I've had a couple of previous ones. As they said on top gear - we've gone full circle - stand out from the crowd and buy one instead of a 3 series BMW.

At the moment we've a (yawn) Vectra. It's dull but OK.

We've also a Peugeot 307 estate which does for the dogs and to be honest - since getting it nearly new in 2004 nothing has ever gone wrong. I'm going to regret saying that.

Kiddie number 3 on the way so I'll probably have to have a re-think.

Quite fancy a Galaxy or I might (eek) go for a 4X4 as I tend to borrow them a lot for various reasons.

I used to always be changing cars. I used to get bored very easliy. But then I bought a new Range Rover 4 years ago and it does everything it says on the tin. So much so, I've put 113,000 miles on it in those 4 years. I just love it.
To give an example, I bought a BMW Z4M a couple of months after buying the RR. It has only done 10,000 miles.
The Range Rover was working a lot of yesterday/last night taking hospital staff home and to work. (they put a request out on the local radio for help)
I'm out again at 6.00am to do the same. So 4 x 4's do help at times!

Kev.

Depends on what day of the week it is :)

anything from the Nissan line up depending on the weather, brought the 4x4 home alst night which is just as well as now need to uncover it from the snow this morning

Opposite ends of the spectrum. Smart car and Land Rover 110. The Smart is economical and quirky, great for SWMBO to get to and from work, shopping trips etc. The 110 is ideal for chucking mucky dogs in, towing trailers about and being a general workhorse. I don't think we could cope with the Smart as the only car in the household.

Fiat Panda, it's small (a bit too small for long runs), cheap to buy and cheap to run, surprisingly well made and it gets me where I need to go.

Honda Civic new shape CTDi. Love it,great desiel engine, Honda build quality, great to drive enthusiastically

Honda Integra Type-R ('96 JDM import)

awesome little car, I can get high 30s mpg on the motorway and single figures when not on her majesties highway. drop the back seats down and you can get 2 large mountain bikes and a weekends stuff in there. It looks a little dated (but still good looking IMHO), can be a bit raw on long journeys and lacks many of the creature comforts of a modern motor but god its fun :)

2 of my mates (bike nuts) reckon its the closest car they have driver to feeling like a bike (one rides a fireblade and the other a NSR250r), its ability to rev endlessly (8,600rpm, mine is a little higher after a re-map) helps with this and the handling is razor sharp (leaves my friends Bini CooperS looking very silly on the corners). Main thing is the theatrical nature of vtec, under 6k rpm its like any other economical little honda (makes about 135bhp on the low cam from its 1.8l) but once you hit 6krpm there is a solid kick of extra torque and the exhaust note goes from normal car to something much more aggressive sounding (like a touring car in the case of my exhaust) and its just manic if you keep the revs above 6k making just over 200bhp at redline.

To me its close to the perfect car for now, not blisteringly fast (0-60 in about 6sec, 145mph top end) but immense fun to drive and practical enough to be our only car.

doesn't like the snow though :)

Last 4 cars have been big 4x4's, but the current one is a compromise. It's a 2002 Volvo V70XC - 4WD, surprising amount of ground clearence, but comfy as it gets....... Love it (for now)

Depends really.

Daily commute is a Kawasaki ZZR1200. 50mpg, £70 tax, £200 insurance. 180 mph, 0-60 in 2.5 secs.

Fun car is a TVR Cerbera, 200mph, 0-60 in 4 secs stonking good fun in a beautiful car. Can get 27mpg on a run, or low single figures around a track, averages around 21-22mpg.

Family car is a 2002 2.0 Nissan Primera which has no performance, shocking mpg (about 27 on a run if we are lucky, 24 mpg around town), but is comfortable, quiet, has a decent boot and just goes. Perfect old car for family/dog use.

Then my wife's car is a new 2.0 MX-5 with the electric hardtop that I sometimes get to drive.

I have the New Mondeo, 2.0 Tdci

cracking car, avg around 50mpg, very comfortable and good to drive(y)
Fast enough if you need it to be and just eats the motorway miles

Its up for renewal next year and i will probably have another one

Comparing Ford and GM products is like comparing Nikon and Canon - at the same price-point they'll behave more or less the same...

Fords are better though...:D

4496345071_3e25598f23_b.jpg

For practicality, we have a Citroen Xsara Picasso.
For a little more fun, a Mazda MX5.
As a toy, a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 EFi.

Would like another Landy but 25MPG is a little hard to swallow having got used to the ~40 of the Citroen (OK, the Mazda only does around 25-30 but we can only afford one "fun" car!)

BMW 123D Msport - fantastic performance and will still do 50mpg. And Heated seats perfect for this time of year :D:D

Panther Black 2006 Mondeo ST TDCi. Only got it back in August but I love it. If I take it easy on the loud pedal I've had 720 miles out of a tank before the fuel light came on, which worked out at just over 59mpg. Lowest I've had is 660 which still worked out at over 50mpg. When I floor it or even on half throttle, the turbo kicks in fairly quick and the car flies. Very good on grin factor, you just have to ignore the sound track when the engine is cold, once warmed up the diesel rattle disappears.
I've fitted a set of Eibach prokit lowering springs, which have lowered the car by 30mm. When the weather improves, I've a full set of Forge silicone hoses, a decat pipe and uprated brake discs and pads ready to go on, will probably get a larger intercooler then have the car remapped raising the lively 155bhp upto around 200bhp and should get even more economical into the bargain should I resist the temptation to lean on the loud pedal too much. :)

Volvo 940 Turbo, 1993. 215,000 miles and something.
Last of the big bricks.
Takes all my work gear and then some, 9-foot lengths inside. There are maybe a handful of cars with the same interior space and the mercs cost a lot more.
Fixable.
30mpg average : can't have everything.

1.7 diesel Astra that even in the current weather returns 52+ to the gallon and does all I want of it,wouldn't touch a Modeo with a bargepole then again wouldn't touch any so called mid range car because they are just SO BLOODY BIG.

VW Passat Estate Highline HDI 2.0 TDCI in black.

Looks like a hearse, has heated leather seats, and for me is fast enough with a 145PS deisel lump.

Averages 42 to the gallon when hammered which it usually is. It's 2 years old and has 61K miles on the clock.

One deisel particulate filter sensor and a new turbo in those miles means for me it's not too reliable.

Long distances soaked up with little or no discomfort.

Why a VW, well because the boss says so.

In another thread about IT support I mentioned the crappy way I'm treated, well next year when the lease runs out I have to go back to a VAuxhall Astra estate. Back to backpain and tired driving, crappy deal but hey ho :D

Hmmm, where to start.

Currently on the drive is:

BMW 330d Sport (156,000 mile, 51 plate)
Mini One (53 plate)
Mini Cooper S JCW (05 plate)

The JCW is our weekend fun car. The BMW is going early next year when I get my company car (Vauxhall Astra - yay! :LOL: Although it's cheap and will be changed every six months for a brand new one). The JCW was bought to give me (and the other half) a bit of fun at the weekends to make up for the Astra in the week. My commute is just about to double - so the Astra makes sense.

I'm going to sell the Elise and replace with a 3 series estate, A6 estate or a prius. :D

Another Mondeo driver here. Ive got a 03 2.0 TDCI. It's frugal yet nippy and never ever lets me down. I wouldn't change it for anything else, I love it for its reliability.

I drive a VW Passat 1.8 TDI estate, the OH has a Citroen C5 estate.

We have a very large dog and up until recently, we had 2 of them.

Mine's a Lexus Soarer. Really need a Volvo estate to carry all the camera equipment about in!

I have a MINI Cooper S which was new Sept '09. Before this I had a 275bhp Focus ST which was fast but it drank like a fish and to be honest, it didn't handle very well at all. The MINI on the other hand is great fun and, like my bike, makes me grin every time I drive it. So much so that I'm contemplating a JCW next year.

The wife has a 1.4 Fiesta "Black" which is now 7 years old, we've had it 6 years and it's been absolutely brilliant. In fact, other than basic service/wear & tear, it hasn't cost anything apart from a new belt for the steering pump last week.

Mrs J has here eyes on a new car next year, and my boy is hoping the Fiesta will come his way.

Steve

I have a fiesta ST.
It's ok, comfortable, got all the creature comforts i need and nippy.
But still underpowered for a 2.0l hatchback by a long way, mpg is pretty poor around town and could really do with a 6th gear for motorway journeys.

I have a fiesta ST.
It's ok, comfortable, got all the creature comforts i need and nippy.
But still underpowered for a 2.0l hatchback by a long way, mpg is pretty poor around town and could really do with a 6th gear for motorway journeys.

A Mountune package will push your 150bhp upto 180.(y)

I'm going to sell the Elise and replace with a 3 series estate, A6 estate or a prius. :D

:puke:NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:puke:

Sorry for the outburst, just couldn't control myself.:LOL:

180 is pretty easy to attain without paying the extortionate mountune prices.
But insurance is stupid enough as standard.

Quite tempted by the new ST when that is released though, looks promising on paper.

i've got a 7th gen toyota celica T-sport 190 VVTLi.......

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

and the missus has a Focus tddi ghia estate, which is our workhorse including when we go on holiday to the lakes........

DSCF1246.jpg

Volvo V70 2.4D SE LUX 6 speed geartronic work horse

Mercedes E300 TD elegance work horse and school runs

practical and between them 5.4 lit of diesel :puke:

merc:nuts:

Comparing Ford and GM products is like comparing Nikon and Canon - at the same price-point they'll behave more or less the same...

Fords are better though...:D

4496345071_3e25598f23_b.jpg

Whoa that is a very very very very nice car:love:

2007 Pug 307 Convertible

Back