What car do you drive?

I've an eleven year old Audi A4 2.0 TD, must be the oldest car owned here.......lol (but I like it)
No you aren't alone, I have a B6 Audi A4 as well.

IMG_1044.jpg IMG_1044.jpg Here's my car 2.0 TDI, 170 PS, DSG, Leather etc. It's a great car and just reached four years old, I'm thinking about changing to something like a Tiguan or Volvo XC 60 next year but I would be loath to part with the Scirocco

I've an eleven year old Audi A4 2.0 TD, must be the oldest car owned here.......lol (but I like it)

Not even close to the oldest! The s***box Clio is on a 52 plate and Mrs Nod's XK8 is an early one - '97 IIRC (R plate.)

That'll give small children nightmares!!!!! :)

Impressive difference with valves opened / closed.

Ha, well you've highlighted the only problem with the system. With valves closed, it's not too loud and my 2 kids can sleep in the back. However, when you first start the car, there is no vacuum pressure in the valve system so the valves are open for a couple of seconds - which means it's really loud on start up!

My son's bedroom overlooks the road, and so does one of the kid's bedroom of our friends/neighbours across the road. So...if I'm ever leaving early in the morning, I coast the car down the slight hill, and start it at the bottom of the road!

Renault Captur
PHOTO_20160810_194708_zpshn7u1d0p.jpg

I'm sure there's someone with a classic to out me, But I have a B5 S4, from 99 :)
Safe from me, I sold the TR6* (1971) a few years ago.. :)

* last of the hairy-chested sports cars as someone described it.

Not bad looking for a baby SUV.

I'm not a Mercedes fan at all but spotted a GLE where I live and rather like the look of it. Not sure if it's a good car though but has that chunky Shogun look.

Just been up the West coast twisties today in torrential rain with a full car, never been so glad to have Xdrive rather than just rwd, you can see other BMW's and Mercedes having to slow right down on the corners.

I'm not a Mercedes fan at all but spotted a GLE where I live and rather like the look of it. Not sure if it's a good car though but has that chunky Shogun look.

Just been up the West coast twisties today in torrential rain with a full car, never been so glad to have Xdrive rather than just rwd, you can see other BMW's and Mercedes having to slow right down on the corners.
The GLE is basically the ML re-badged, and based on the E class. Like the GL has become the GLS as it based on the S class. And the new GLC on the C class.

2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi. Still waiting for the fuel scandal fix, VW don't seem to be in any hurry to put things right.

2014 Audi S3 saloon which, after a lifetime of company cars, was the first car I'd specced from the ground up - a fantastic driver's car with so much grunt you would not believe!

Tried to post image but I've probably not been on here quite long enough yet. I'll try again tomorrow!

Last edited:
2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi. Still waiting for the fuel scandal fix, VW don't seem to be in any hurry to put things right.
Not sure if it was all European diesel VWs or just UK registered VWs, but I read recently they have only fixed 10% of the cars so far.

I've heard that the fix will reduce the power, is this true?
There are a few conflicting thoughts on that, VW are claiming it won't affect power or economy, but some don't believe that. I suspect VW will actually have been spending all this time actually coming up with a fresh calibration to overcome any losses as well as having a fully functional emissions system.

They had better sort it out properly. I' m part of a class action against VW, and any difference in power, fuel consumption etc will result in VW being hit for full refunds, same as in the US.

They had better sort it out properly. I' m part of a class action against VW, and any difference in power, fuel consumption etc will result in VW being hit for full refunds, same as in the US.
If there is a need to take action against VW, I hope you are successful, but VW have already said they have no intention of paying out in Europe as they have done in America.

any difference in power, fuel consumption etc will result in VW being hit for full refunds,

Thing is though, how accurate are ANY manufacturers figures, especially in day to day, real life use?
Did everyone purchase their VW's because of published MPG figures?

I'm not trying to defend VW or any manufacturer manipulating data btw, but it just seems everyone is jumping on the `claim culture` bandwagon.

Thing is though, how accurate are ANY manufacturers figures, especially in day to day, real life use?
Did everyone purchase their VW's because of published MPG figures?

I'm not trying to defend VW or any manufacturer manipulating data btw, but it just seems everyone is jumping on the `claim culture` bandwagon.
It doesn't really matter about the manufacturers claimed figures, it's whether people notice any significant detrimental differences between fixed and not fixed. The length of time it has taken VW to actually come up with a fix, tells me it's more than just the tank of adblue (urea) not being large enough for normal operation, they have probably had to retest engines, with a full sized fully functional system which may well have affected the performance, economy and smoothness and quietness of the engine, many factors on which a customer may have based their choice of purchase against another manufacturers car. VW's actions have not only harmed their own reputation of diesel cars but that of other manufacturers as well. Modern diesel engines are very clean and not as dirty as the reputation that is being laid on them due to this, that means not only will owners of VW diesels find the value have dropped as a result but other manufacturers as well.
It's likely that new cars with petrol and diesel engines will still be produced in 15-20yrs time, probably fitted to hybrids. Electric cars are still in their infancy and have a long way to go before they are in a position to become a viable replacement in terms of cost and range and battery longevity before they need to be replaced.

Of course, you all know that it's not just VWs that are more polluting outside of the lab? They're all gaming the current poor emissions testing, but VW's approach was particularly sneaky.

IMG_6785.JPG

There was some interesting research recently comparing lab vs road emissions. The interesting bit of this for me, was about the exhaust gas recirculation technology; how temperature sensitive it is. Works well with a cold engine, as per the current lab testing, but not when the engine is warm.

The tests involved lab and track emission testing, with "cold" and "hot" variations (hot = warmed up engine). When tested "hot", and in the real world, several cars suddenly look a lot more polluting than they did from startup in a lab!

Even in the lab, if the engine is allowed to warmup then tested:

IMG_6786.JPG

Then comparing warmed up engine in the lab vs. on the road:

IMG_6787.JPG

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...18437/vehicle-emissions-testing-programme.pdf

Of course, you all know that it's not just VWs that are more polluting outside of the lab? They're all gaming the current poor emissions testing, but VW's approach was particularly sneaky.
Are they? Do you know that for a fact and have evidence? The idea of laboratory tests is that it really is the only true controlled way that each manufacturers car can be tested and compared to another manufacturers car, because it will have been tested under the same strict conditions. VW cheated the results by having an emissions system that only worked during the laboratory test conditions by way of the front parking sensors having to be turned off so the proximity of the laboratory fans didn't apply the brakes. Mercedes were guilty of something similar years ago, but theirs was triggered by the bonnet alarm sensor.
Real world conditions still won't truly be representative as there will be no control over humidity and temperature.

VAG still looking to save money where it can to offset it's self induced heavy losses. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/audi-forced-dramatically-cut-costs-after-dieselgate

Last edited:
The point is, laboratory testing with a cold engine is not representative of real emissions (although the technology exists to test cars on a test track, and there is no reason why engines couldn't be tested in the lab when hot). A car engineered to just meet the test requirements and emit low emissions when cold, does not necessarily mean a low polluting car, as the results I posted shows. So in that sense, many manufacturers are producing highly polluting cars, that still pass the emissions test; I'd call that gaming the process.

In terms of "defeat devices" and evidence, yes evidence is mounting. Have a look on the web. A quick search on the web while simultaneously looking after 2 kids yields some interesting reading:

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/not-just-vw-30-dirty-diesels-accused-emissions-cheating

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKL5N17P55D

If there is a need to take action against VW, I hope you are successful, but VW have already said they have no intention of paying out in Europe as they have done in America.

I think VW will find that it'll be up to the courts to decide whether or not refunds are given, not their PR people.

It feels more like the official emissions and economy figures are better to be used for comparison purposes against other vehicles rather than for obtaining definitive stand alone results. For this reason I can understand why lab testing is probably the fairest way to obtain consistency for comparison. Perhaps lab testing doesn't need to be replaced but instead they could add track and/or real world tests to demonstrate what could be achieved?

They also need to do away with all this removing of mirrors, special fluids etc if that does in fact still go on.

The point is, laboratory testing with a cold engine is not representative of real emissions (although the technology exists to test cars on a test track, and there is no reason why engines couldn't be tested in the lab when hot). A car engineered to just meet the test requirements and emit low emissions when cold, does not necessarily mean a low polluting car, as the results I posted shows. So in that sense, many manufacturers are producing highly polluting cars, that still pass the emissions test; I'd call that gaming the process.

In terms of "defeat devices" and evidence, yes evidence is mounting. Have a look on the web. A quick search on the web while simultaneously looking after 2 kids yields some interesting reading:

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/not-just-vw-30-dirty-diesels-accused-emissions-cheating

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKL5N17P55D
This independent investigation requested by the government https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...UpHUrEY5vW4QHhVUOAGFiw&bvm=bv.135974163,d.bGs
says that engines are officially tested from cold and warm conditions. In the independent retest they even changed the mix of hot and cold tests and prolonged tests to ensure that cars weren't specially engineered to recognise a test condition. Only VW cars were found to be guilty of this, all other manufacturers were in the clear. If you scroll through to figure 5.5 where they have tested NOX levels on various cars in real world conditions, you will notice they tested a Range Rover Sport twice but on separate days. It goes on to say that due to differences in ambient temperature of the two test days the NOX emissions were different as well as traffic conditions. The difference between what looks like approximately 1250mg/km and 1700mg/km is quite a significant difference and puts into question any real validity of the real world testing results because of the variables from one day to the next, even one hour to the next.

2014 Audi S3 saloon which, after a lifetime of company cars, was the first car I'd specced from the ground up - a fantastic driver's car with so much grunt you would not believe!

Tried to post image but I've probably not been on here quite long enough yet. I'll try again tomorrow!
Here are a couple of images of my pride and joy ...

S3 Saloon?

S3 Saloon?

That's what it is! Not being a fan of hatchbacks, when the saloon version of the A3 was announced a little over three years ago, I went for the S3 like a shot. Apart from the wheels and quad exhaust pipes it doesn't really draw attention to itself, but give it some welly and it goes like stink!

I've only ever seen one in the flesh at the car wash and remember wondering what it was, looked like an S4 but something just seemed nicer about it. All was revealed when I checked out the badge. Was only about 4 months ago and at that point I didn't even know they existed!

That's what it is! Not being a fan of hatchbacks, when the saloon version of the A3 was announced a little over three years ago, I went for the S3 like a shot. Apart from the wheels and quad exhaust pipes it doesn't really draw attention to itself, but give it some welly and it goes like stink!
Good choice, I really liked the saloon shape and if it was out when I got my Golf R at the time I probably would have gone for that one instead of the Golf R. But yes I'm very familiar with how it goes like stink :) Mine is tweak a little as well with an FSR and Pedal box from DTUK.

I bought a Mazda 3 sport. 2.2d a few months ago.

Lovely, comfortable and has more extras than I've ever had in a car.

I just can't get used to the clutch in 1st and second gear, impossible to drive smoothly! When test driving it I thought it was just because I wasn't used to the car but still can't get the hang of it. My other half says she struggles badly with it too. Need to find another car, same model to try out and see if it's the same.

Got a chance to drive my youngest son's new Ford Kuga 2.0L 180PS Titanium X Powershift today. Was suprised at just how good it handles! Nice vehicle but he got it for a very good price as the 2017 model is due. Depreciation though.....

Last edited:
Great engine, I had a Mazda 6 MPS that had the same engine and it was surprisingly economical for a 2.3 Turbo being from 2006. Perhaps 32mpg if taking it easy but drops big time with a heavy foot unlike the powerful diesels. Suspension was an issue though, really needed poly bushes everywhere!

[GALLERY=]IMG_0416.JPG IMG_0413.JPG
M

Arrived Saturday, Citroen Grand C4 Picasso,Top of Range with loads of extras. 6 speed Manual Gearbox, 2.0L Blue Diesel Engine, etc

Last edited:
30584338145_1f757f3bcd_b_d.jpg

Just picked this up this afternoon, it's a 2010 3.0 TDV6, really looking forward to getting out and about in it as really not done all that much of late as I've had a car that seems to be having a love affair with the local mechanics :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back