What causes light leaks to produce different colours?

Hi there

I'm currently writing an essay for my photography class and was wondering, what causes light leaks to produce different colours when you do them?

How do you DO light leaks?
Most light leaks that I have seen in the past 70 years do not produce colours.

Most splashes of colours seen on film or on digital images is cause by light entering directly into the lens being refracted between the elements. This is not a light leak.

There is a small possibility that a very small light leak might refract some of the light but this must be extremely rare and may or may not be coloured.

Your AE1 is only likely to suffer light leaks if the sealing foam has deteriorated. it is most unlikely to produce coloured effects.

Last edited:
As Terry says, you may not mean light leaks but lens flare.

I'm fairly sure the colours in lens flare are caused by refraction, similar to how a prism works.

as above, light leaks from the camera not sealed properly e.g the camera back are usually orange or white (as seen in the photo) which is only because colour film reacts to this amount of light.

Well, if the light leak is in the camera back, then the light probably passes through the film substrate, which is orange, So I would expect an effect similar to using redscale film (film would on in reverse, with the back of the film towards the lens; note the intensity of the redscale effect tends to depend on exposure, as well).

Checking through my shots I have seen a few with some small blue smudges and not sure what caused them as it wasn't flare with the sun to my back...maybe Sam has seen orange and blue in photos and wants to know why.

As above really, most of us try to avoid light leaks but sometimes they happen due to faulty light seals on old cameras, or sometimes because the back of the camera has been opened accidentally before the film has been rewound (in the case of 35mm cameras) or not wound completely until the end of the reel in the case of roll film.

The colours (on colour print film) are usually shades of orange, but this can look lighter or darker depending on the amount of light that's hit the film and spread across it. Totally over-exposed film would appear 'black' on the negative (and almost white on the print). Hope this helps, here's a photo that illustrates a bit of light leakage creeping onto the negative due to the film not rewinding (the auto rewind mechanism had broken) and the camera back being partially opened for a couple of seconds indoors, before realising and closing the camera back immediately. About 3 frames were totally lost, two or three quite badly affected and this one with traces of light leakage on it (however, the amount of leakage effect will depend on how bright the offending light is and how long the film is exposed to it. Hope this is useful.

This next one is due to a leaking light seal (or light reaching the film via the winding number observation window) on an old box camera, which has again produced that familiar orange coloured effect:

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/YGPgBG']
[/URL]
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/27HD5MV'][URL='https://flic.kr/p/27HD5MV']

P.S. If it would help your essay then you have my permission to copy and include the two photos above as examples of light leaks and explain how they happened (but you must not use them for any other reason or publish them elsewhere (including online/social media) without first asking for and obtaining my permission.) (y)[/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
(Assuming you are indeed referring to lens flare...)

Refraction is the mechanism by which all lenses work to create any image at the position you require. So to say that refraction is the cause of lens flare is not quite correct. Lens flare typically occurs due to undesired scattering within the optical system (or what ever reason that causes light to travel through the lens in a way not accountable for), typically off an object that shouldn't be there, or from the inside of the lens barrel, etc. The light scattered by said object, (let's call it a burn mark in a specific area caused by @excalibur2 's flash gun on a previous occasion :D), travels through the lens system in a way that is not accounted for by the lens design - because the design is specifically to produce an image of (relatively) distant objects. Because of it's origin position, it is not brought to the same focus as the rest of the scene, and because it acts essentially like a point source, the shape of the flare commonly takes the shape of the lens aperture.

The colour of the resulting lens flare is down to many things, including:

The colour spectrum of the light source,
The scattering and diffraction properties of the object,
The angles which the light has passed through the optical coatings and lenses - this speaks to interference effects in the coatings, and chromatic dispersion in the glass,
The design of the optical coatings,
etc

Due to their nature, 'causing' them intentionally would typically be the domain of those who wish to add them for cinematic effect, either at capture, or in post processing. Personally I can't stand them, so I can't help on their artistic usage :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
Thank you for all of your responses.

My light leaks are intentional, although the seals do need replacing (I'm having no problems at the moment). I did them on purpose by opening the film door for a few seconds and closing again. Myself personally, I quite like them, I think they add a certain je ne sais quoi to the photo.

The photos that I took:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there film that you can buy that is pre-exposed to light, in order to achieve that very effect?
I'm sure I saw Seth Miranda talk about it on Adorama a few weeks ago....sort of 'lomo' look.

Last edited:
Ok now we know what you're aiming for hopefully we can point you in the right direction. I would have thought that if youre looking to get an element of control of your colour light leaks then perhaps opening the back with your camera wrapped in some sort of gel would produce some interesting effects.

Or maybe pre-exposing the whole roll with different coloured gels in front of the lens or even with no lens on at all.

I'm asking from a general standpoint, I've seen other images with different colours and want to know what causes the different colours.

I suspect there are too many variables to give a good answer. It's fairly easy to see that light coming behind (and through) the film will tend to give an orange flare, but of course that may well interact with light coming through the lens. It's also possible that some light coming from the back could be reflected round inside the camera and get to the front of the film... in some cameras... maybe. Freelensing could produce other effects (this is where you don't mount the lens onto the camera, but hold it in front), but in general the effect would be limited with focal plane shutters (and if the lens had a leaf shutter, with no focal plane shutter, you'd just get a fully exposed film in no time flat). I guess a damaged shutter could produce leaks from light spilling round the mirror (or directly for compacts or rangefinders), but these leaks would likely be similar with each shot.

One effect I do remember from when I had some faulty seals was that the leak varied depending on the time between shots, from unnoticeable where shots were taken in rapid succession, to quite severe where the camera had sat around for a few days. Not sure what effect that would have on colours.

Shooting to get light leak effects doesn't particularly appeal to me, but it does remind me of some photographers who deliberately distress their films in various ways, eg by scrunching, scratching, tearing, adding household chemicals and other unspecified liquids etc. I'm not sure I could ever see the point!

ETA But, good on you for taking a different and interesting approach; I don't think any of us here want to discourage you in the slightest!

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
Thank you for all of your responses.

My light leaks are intentional, although the seals do need replacing (I'm having no problems at the moment). I did them on purpose by opening the film door for a few seconds and closing again. Myself personally, I quite like them, I think they add a certain je ne sais quoi to the photo.

The photos that I took:

Well ignoring the light leaks they are good quality shots (y)

I'm asking from a general standpoint, I've seen other images with different colours and want to know what causes the different colours.
Possibly the human brain interpreting a mixture of the orange of the light leak and the background colour of the 'correct' through-the-lens exposure? Eg, if the orange of a light leak bleeds across a dark blue background then you might think you see magenta or purple?

were the other shots taken on C41 film, or on E6 - or, even further down the rabbit hole, c41cross processed in e6 chemicals, or e6 tranny stock souped in c41. There's lots of variables. Buy some film, a c41 and e6 tetenal kit, and a camera that leaks light like a sieve (holga springs to mind) and go play... make notes, and see what happens. It's fun - much more fun than trying to work it out from other peoples shots.

I still think one of the best "light leak" shots i've had come out of the soup wasn't a light leak in the traditional sense - it was when Helga the Holga "ate the sponge" while out on her travels...

It's not my shot - I just provided the camera, the film and did the souping and scanning - have a look for the "homeless holga" thread from years ago for more details...

Portra160NC_2011-08-04_012.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

it's got it all - an interestingly framed basic picture, light flares all over the shop, "print through" from the 120 backing paper... textbook "sponge eater" :LOL:

Last edited:
Aside from your essay, effects are OK and fun to play around with but the novelty soon wears off, Sam. When I was your age (and a couple of years younger) we had those plastic effects filters that slid into a holder in front of the lens. There were loads of different kinds, from multi-pointed star effects for lights, refracting and multi-image prisms, soft colour centre spots, coloured graduated filters (with purple and tobacco being popular - yes, really!) and even a fairly unconvincing fake rainbow!

However, eventually it dawned on us that these often just distracted us from concentrating on the photo instead of the novelty effect; and to be kind the results were probably best described as being 'of their time'... or to be unkind, possibly just naff and tacky! So what advice would I have given my younger self? Forget the effects and concentrate really hard on trying to learn how to 'see' a photograph.

Sound a bit like a riddle? OK, take a look at two or three photos from your favourite photographer and ask yourself why does that photo work? Is it the framing? The light? The subject? The message it sends? The mood or feeling it creates? Learn to 'see' why it works. Then once you've done that, try to 'see' your own photos when you're out and about with your camera. It's not easy, as it's tempting to notice the makings of a good shot and just 'snap at it' it without thinking why it's caught your eye as having potential as a photo. Look and ask yourself why you thought it would make a good shot, then try to make sure you capture and/or major on those elements. Quite often when you actually look at it you'll find it won't work as a photo as the light is wrong or there's too much clutter to distract attention away from what you've 'seen'.

The real skill comes next, taking a photo of the image you've 'seen' in such a way that other people can 'see' that too when they look at your photo. Don't expect a great success rate though, even the pros may only get a couple of dozen really strong photos per year, and perhaps just two or three really great photos per year.

As for your photos, it looks like you've nailed the exposure, focusing and depth of field (unless the auto exposure was choosing the aperture rather than you?), however, I think the composition of the shots could be improved (always easier said than done! ). Take your third photo, by moving the model to the left a bit you'd have hidden most of the distracting road cone clutter in the background and you'd also have shown the 'Wait' sign, which adds context to the street scene. Also, by framing the shot more to the left you'd have shown more of the crossing (to add more context) and got rid of the traffic light box in the top right-hand corner. I like the remaining traffic light boxes above the model as they again add to the context of the scene.

Same with the first photo, the 'wait' sign isn't doing anything for the photo (apart from looking a bit like a backpack), so when you framed the shot it would probably have been better to either have hidden it or made a feature of it to add context? I appreciate that there might have been reasons why you didn't frame those shots differently, such as clutter, obstructions, danger of being run-over, etc. (like the first photo I posted, there was too much background clutter to get a good shot - ignore the framing in my second photo as it was just a snap taken when I was about 15, it was only included as it shows light leakage), but as I said, not every photo you visualise will work, so move on and find one that will, and learning to 'see' will help that. Also, I find that asking myself why a shot doesn't quite work (or work at all) is helpful too, so I can try to avoid that next time if that's possible (if I can remember at the time!). It's not easy with busy street scenes that are constantly changing, but once again, leaning to 'see' should help you cut through the chaff. Hope this is useful, best of luck and enjoy your photography. (y)

Last edited:
Aside from your essay, effects are OK and fun to play around with but the novelty soon wears off, Sam. When I was your age (and a couple of years younger) we had those plastic effects filters that slid into a holder in front of the lens. There were loads of different kinds, from multi-pointed star effects for lights, refracting and multi-image prisms, soft colour centre spots, coloured graduated filters (with purple and tobacco being popular - yes, really!) and even a fairly unconvincing fake rainbow!

However, eventually it dawned on us that these often just distracted us from concentrating on the photo instead of the novelty effect; and to be kind the results were probably best described as being 'of their time'... or to be unkind, possibly just naff and tacky! So what advice would I have given my younger self? Forget the effects and concentrate really hard on trying to learn how to 'see' a photograph.

Sound a bit like a riddle? OK, take a look at two or three photos from your favourite photographer and ask yourself why does that photo work? Is it the framing? The light? The subject? The message it sends? The mood or feeling it creates? Learn to 'see' why it works. Then once you've done that, try to 'see' your own photos when you're out and about with your camera. It's not easy, as it's tempting to notice the makings of a good shot and just 'snap at it' it without thinking why it's caught your eye as having potential as a photo. Look and ask yourself why you thought it would make a good shot, then try to make sure you capture and/or major on those elements. Quite often when you actually look at it you'll find it won't work as a photo as the light is wrong or there's too much clutter to distract attention away from what you've 'seen'.

The real skill comes next, taking a photo of the image you've 'seen' in such a way that other people can 'see' that too when they look at your photo. Don't expect a great success rate though, even the pros may only get a couple of dozen really strong photos per year, and perhaps just two or three really great photos per year.

This. Exactly this.

Twaddle and balderdash, if you don't mind me saying lads:eek::D.
Photography is an art form, there are no boundaries, you can do what you want when you want to with whatever you want to do it with and experimental techniques help you to learn.
Don't let these old fuddie duddies stop you from trying something new.;)

Photography is an art form, there are no boundaries, you can do what you want when you want to with whatever you want to do it with and experimental techniques help you to learn.

By all means experiment, have fun and see how the results turn out, but I wish I'd known back then what I know now. :snaphappy: Anyway, can I interest you in some nice special effects filters Andy? You could improve your photos no end with those! ;)

Last edited:
By all means experiment, have fun and see how the results turn out, but I wish I'd known back then what I know now. :snaphappy: Anyway, can I interest you in some nice special effects filters Andy? You could improve your photos no end with those! ;)

H'mm that pot of gold looks easy to get at :D

That's brilliant! I want one! :D

Yes it was, and you should have seen the refraction effects I got of it glinting in the sunlight with that starburst filter! :D

I've still got my filters from the old days from starburst to masks...I knew how to use them but never did o_O

That's brilliant! I want one! :D
Stay tuned, I picked a ruck of them up cheap off eBay ready to shoot a project next year... something along the lines of 'great shots ruined'. :)

And before Andy says anything; yes, I know, I'll have to learn how to take great shots first! :D

Last edited:
...but a rainbow has 7 colours ROYGBIV
In all fairness, so does this when not playing it for comedic effect... but where's the fun and art in playing it straight? :D Either way though, it's still a rubbish base shot, and there's only one way to remedy that.

In all fairness, so does this when not playing it for comedic effect... but where's the fun and art in playing it straight? :D Either way though, it's still a rubbish base shot, and there's only one way to remedy that.

That's better but aren't the colours out of sequence ..but then not many people would know that ;)

Don't let these old fuddie duddies stop you from trying something new.

Quite right,! Better to wait for the younger and more clever ones like you Andy ( cough, splutter, choke:p:D:D) to offer advice.

Personally I reckon that I'll be Sams best bet, not least of all cos I'm still a teenager myself and know how to relate to youth:rolleyes::LOL::LOL:

Quite right,! Better to wait for the younger and more clever ones like you Andy ( cough, splutter, choke:p:D:D) to offer advice.

Personally I reckon that I'll be Sams best bet, not least of all cos I'm still a teenager myself and know how to relate to youth:rolleyes::LOL::LOL:

The amusing side:- manufacturers (and us) spend time and money getting our cameras light tight and others enjoy a camera full of "holes" :D

As for your photos, it looks like you've nailed the exposure, focusing and depth of field (unless the auto exposure was choosing the aperture rather than you?), however, I think the composition of the shots could be improved (always easier said than done! ). Take your third photo, by moving the model to the left a bit you'd have hidden most of the distracting road cone clutter in the background and you'd also have shown the 'Wait' sign, which adds context to the street scene. Also, by framing the shot more to the left you'd have shown more of the crossing (to add more context) and got rid of the traffic light box in the top right-hand corner. I like the remaining traffic light boxes above the model as they again add to the context of the scene.

Same with the first photo, the 'wait' sign isn't doing anything for the photo (apart from looking a bit like a backpack), so when you framed the shot it would probably have been better to either have hidden it or made a feature of it to add context? I appreciate that there might have been reasons why you didn't frame those shots differently, such as clutter, obstructions, danger of being run-over, etc. (like the first photo I posted, there was too much background clutter to get a good shot - ignore the framing in my second photo as it was just a snap taken when I was about 15, it was only included as it shows light leakage), but as I said, not every photo you visualise will work, so move on and find one that will, and learning to 'see' will help that. Also, I find that asking myself why a shot doesn't quite work (or work at all) is helpful too, so I can try to avoid that next time if that's possible (if I can remember at the time!). It's not easy with busy street scenes that are constantly changing, but once again, leaning to 'see' should help you cut through the chaff. Hope this is useful, best of luck and enjoy your photography. (y)

This. Exactly this.

Sorry I have to disagree, it would appear that the OP, certainly in this instance, is not looking to 'see' a photograph but to experiment and have some fun creating a look. Sure there's room for all the serious 'seeing' a photograph malarkey should he or she want to approach the art of snapping that way in the future but please lets not fall down the elephant trap of discouraging people from experimenting. Those of us that are old enough to remember the joy of the Cokin filter range were happy to make those mistakes and I for one would not change that.

(y)

The amusing side:- manufacturers (and us) spend time and money getting our cameras light tight and others enjoy a camera full of "holes" :D

Yeah but what it's like to be young Bri;)…...spending money ( that you don't usually have as a teenager) to repair kit simply isn't important.
Much as my mother was horrified at ruining a perfect item of clothing, I used to purposely "destroy" my jeans with bleach or scissors to ensure I kept up with so called trends!

Teens & Perfect just don't mix:D

Have you looked at Sams website?

I wish that my togging abilities at his age had given me results like what he has managed.

I seem to recall most of my pics had headless people or images of the ground / feet…...That's if there were any images at all:(

Last edited:
I'm doing my best Derek Smalls impression here - I'm somewhere between the two viewpoints...

personally, my experiments with cross processing and crappy toy cameras and light leaks and all the semi-random wierdness that came with it were just that - Experiments.

I wanted to see what different films came out like when cross processed - so that one type of film gave a soft pinky tone to the final shot, another went really green, another went blue/purple... Why? well - if someone said I wan't you to shoot us for a band promo and I want it to look a bit like what they had in mind in this shot (and handed me something instagrammed) I could say to myself - "okay, so you want Fuji Reala shot a stop overexposed and cross processed in E6 then..." - it was experimentation that was a means to an end. The "client" was often "me" - in that I wanted a particular look and didn't want to fiddle it in tattychop.

Light leaks - well - personally, I can happily leave them well alone - i've had enough dodgy old light seals in cameras (and in one case a shutter screen that wasn't actually light tight! - see the pictures below) that I even gaffa tape up my holga's now... for me it's a been there, done it, ruined lots of pictures that I'd rather not have... but, that's me today, with my current viewpoint. I seriously doubt that i'll get into experimenting that way again - or if I do, I'll take the shots on a digital, and fake it in photoshop - i'm too much of a control freak these days - and my personal photography is all about getting that picture that's in my head, onto the computer, and eventually onto paper. Happy Accidents don't really figure in my way of working anymore.

So, I can see the viewpoint of the "stop wasting film and learn to take proper pictures" guys - AND - I can see the "crack on and have a play, it's supposed to be fun, and you might learn something" guys.

Guess What - I agree with both of them.

One thing I will say though...

Those Cokin Effect filters are a f*****g abomination!

Some very impressive results there, @ThatGuySam . If you aren't a better photographer than me already, you will be very soon!
That's the reason I (rightly or wrongly) gave up a bit of time to give a bit of feedback, and I hope Sam takes it the right way and it doesn't annoy him. If he wants to ignore it then fine, no harm done either way. :)

Sorry I have to disagree, it would appear that the OP, certainly in this instance, is not looking to 'see' a photograph but to experiment and have some fun creating a look. Sure there's room for all the serious 'seeing' a photograph malarkey should he or she want to approach the art of snapping that way in the future but please lets not fall down the elephant trap of discouraging people from experimenting. Those of us that are old enough to remember the joy of the Cokin filter range were happy to make those mistakes and I for one would not change that. (y)

That's not actually what I was trying to say. It was 'enjoy your photography, but don't get too hung-up on effects'. As for the filters, I can't agree with you there Nick, with hindsight I wish I'd left the 'special effects' type ones alone when I was a teenager and spent my money on more film and experimented with basic composition and subject choice (and learning to 'see' better) instead of me effectively trying to put a cherry on top of a dog turd! And yes, some of my photos really were that bad! :facepalm:

That's better but aren't the colours out of sequence ..but then not many people would know that ;)

That's why I referred to it as "a fairly unconvincing fake rainbow". :LOL:

Anyway Sam, feel free to ignore and/or laugh at the above posts. The main thing is... have we answered your original question along the way? If not, feel free to tell us and we'll have another go. (y)

Last edited:
We are of course saying all the right words to answer his question... though not necessarily in the right order! (With apologies to the Morecombe & Wise scriptwriter.)

Some very impressive results there, @ThatGuySam . If you aren't a better photographer than me already, you will be very soon!
Thanks, Chris!

Anyway Sam, feel free to ignore and/or laugh at the above posts. The main thing is... have we answered your original question along the way? If not, feel free to tell us and we'll have another go. (y)
:LOL: It is interesting to see all of your responses, but yes. I have more of an idea now.

personally, my experiments with cross processing and crappy toy cameras and light leaks and all the semi-random wierdness that came with it were just that - Experiments.
My friend was telling me about cross processing in our photography lesson the other day, sounds like something fun to experiment with. :LOL:

Back