Beginner what did I do wrong?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Shot a wedding recently (2nd camera thankfully)

used a 5DmkII, no lighting so higher than usual ISO, my shutter speed was 125 and, f2.8 ( 70-200L )

looks terribly out of focus. what did I do wrong? how should I have shot this?

Was my thinking, but I'm auto ISO, AV. If I went shutter priority TV at say160 then it's would be dark surely?

Or I guess the iOS would rise higher than the 3200 it was

Why did the ISO stop at 3200? What was the FL? Would a higher ISO have been acceptable? Could you have used image stabilization?

I never use Tv/S modes... I would switch to manual w/ auto ISO instead.

Fl was almost max,200
No IS on my lenses

I'd already upped exposure compensation 1 1/2 stops. No idea why Iso didn't go higher.

Manual might be the answer. Ta

Could be all sorts of things.

Focus error - maybe you weren't careful enough, considering the very shallow DoF at 200/2.8. Or you focused and then moved, or she moved, or the AF calibration is out. Shutter speed is too low - even if you follow the rule and use 1/200sec, that's the minimum for most people, 1/400sec to be safe. Then that lens is known to be a bit soft and flarey wide open when shooting into the light like that. Or a bit of all those things.

Or I guess the iOS would rise higher than the 3200 it was

your shooting peoples weddings and your getting paid.. use a decent camera that goes way above iso 3200 without ruining the picture.. I could take that pic at iso 12800 and not need any noise reduction..

The image is too small for appreciation and the larger version in only available
somewhere I couldn't care less and I will not sign in..

Your shutter was fast enough!
My guess is your focus point… and at ƒ 2.8 you don't have much latitude!

Last edited:
IMO, focus/DOF are not the issue. Her far shoulder is more OOF than her face, and he's more OOF than her face... So while possible contributors, I still think SS is the main culprit. The FP/DOF is somewhere on her...

RE: ISO stopping at 3200... it was probably the max auto ISO allowed in the menu setting. The camera should have attempted to achieve 1/200 SS (1/FL) unless unable (ISO limited) or set otherwise (some cameras have a variable min SS limit based on a FL offset you can program. i.e. 2x). I don't know the 5DII, so I don't know what unique options there might be.

I can't comment on the full size picture as clicking it took me to another site where I wasn't allowed to view the picture (don't link to such places??).

My opinion FWIW from the small picture above, is that your verdict of 'terribly out of focus' is not an accurate assessment. It's obviously shot at full aperture judging by the background, so you've got nice subject isolation with enough context. Also, looking at the bride's face it looks in focus, especially the eyes, which is where you presumably focused? So viewers are not immediately going to say "Oh wait - the rest of her isn't so sharp, and the groom is also unsharp". I'd say you got a good picture with the point of focus in the right place, but possibly you could have done with f4 instead? It's not a disaster though - I think most wedding guests would be pleased with that.

It is not crisp but it has got charm
that is very much better than
crisp but no charm.

Sharpness can be lost through camera shake ( your lens has no IS)
High Iso settings often have high noise reduction (increases softness)
Lenses used wide open tend to be soft.
low shutter speed can reduce sharpness.
All this is emphasised in soft light.

However I do not believe your focus was out.

Last edited:
Back