What did you get for Christmas ?

....Eventually you may find that you come back together on Christmas Day as a family although it may take a year or two. I had a very acrimonious divorce about 10 years ago but we now always spend Christmas Day together with our daughter who shares her time 50-50 with us (without any court orders etc whatsoever). Afterall, why should any child suffer because her parents split up! My ex-wife and I take it in turns to host Christmas lunch and we always have a great time. Our daughter treats us very equally and is now 23yo and independent.

I would encourage any split parents to make a big effort to do this for the sake of their children.

As far as I am concerned I absolutely love being on my own and having no responsibilities or commitments to a wife (or girlfriend) - The freedom to do exactly as I like every single day is wonderful. I retired early a long time ago.

So, as one door closes, another door opens. Life is what you make it, Keith.

I have no experience of this (thankfully) but that does sound like a very positive way to look at it

Sound like people got some NICE presents with -

Hats
Books
& Lenses
Canon 10-22, Helicon Focus software
Canon-lens mugs
New car (very nice to)
Plus.......squirrel box
A big Yankee candle jar
A furry flying type helmet
and a nice new D7100

Plus of course A bottle of 15year old Malt Whiskey :)

Sounds like a very nice Christmas to me - Happy Christmas folks

I have no experience of this (thankfully) but that does sound like a very positive way to look at it

Thanks, John :)

Time is usually a healer if you let it be. Of course it takes both parents to cooperate for the sake of their children but the result is a stress-free peace. It's the only time I see my ex-wife unless I bump into her in the town and simply have a friendly chat. I wouldn't want to go on a family holiday together like some divorced couples do!

Christmas can be a very stressful time for some family relationships and I think we all have heard about heart-wrenching tugs-of-war over children and selfishly vindictive behaviour.

Thanks, John :)

Time is usually a healer if you let it be. Of course it takes both parents to cooperate for the sake of their children but the result is a stress-free peace. It's the only time I see my ex-wife unless I bump into her in the town and simply have a friendly chat. I wouldn't want to go on a family holiday together like some divorced couples do!

Christmas can be a very stressful time for some family relationships and I think we all have heard about heart-wrenching tugs-of-war over children and selfishly vindictive behaviour.

Yeah I know of a few myself - one women I know she cannot get over the fact her husband left her (don't know circumstances) but she still holds a torch for him but calls him worse than muck to ANYONE who will listen. Her whole life revolves around him and what he did to her so much so that her friends started to avoid her as she would talk about NOTHING else.

She has Re-married now but I reckon she still is bitter and probably talks to her new husband about it instead o_O

Yeah I know of a few myself - one women I know she cannot get over the fact her husband left her (don't know circumstances) but she still holds a torch for him but calls him worse than muck to ANYONE who will listen. Her whole life revolves around him and what he did to her so much so that her friends started to avoid her as she would talk about NOTHING else.

She has Re-married now but I reckon she still is bitter and probably talks to her new husband about it instead o_O

....Yep, harbouring those kind of feelings is very unhealthy and unfortunately is not uncommon. William Shakespeare said words to the effect that 'Hell hath no Fury like a Woman Scorned'! His actual words were different apparently but that's academic.

Anyway, I had a number of really nice presents but none were photographic as no-one can afford to buy me the new Canon 100-400mm L IS II. I will have to buy it for myself for my birthday! :D

Ha...ha.... yeah that will be some good Birthday and at least you know you will get something you want :)

....My daughter and I always ask each other if there is anything we each want and then buy it. But we also add a few small surprise presents. Her main pressie to me was an excellent dragonflies field guide. Her boyfriend bought me a big box of Thorntons Premium chocolates, otherwise he knows I turn into Bruce Willis!....

Sorry for the poor picture quality but it's still very funny....

That's a good idea - Katie often asks me if I want anything but usually I can't really think of anything apart from my Turkish DELIGHT - Hmmmmmm !!!

Spent the day on my own, well me and the dog.

To me, that sounds just perfect Andrew. I also have a completely peaceful quiet day to myself on the 25th. I don't get involved with presents or in fact any of the expensive, political, or stress inducing elements which make Christmas such a nightmare for most people (but I do make a contribution to one of my favourite charities). I wish it wasn't forced on us in the way that it is, there's very little about it which is positive in my opinion.

Sorry to be a Grinch! :p

Turns out that I've left all my pressies in a bag in Kent at the in laws.

Stupid is as stupid does!!

The only presents I managed to remember to bring back were some new wellies and a cocktail book.

Perfect for this cold weather we are having!!

Last edited:
We had all our kids (4) back home for Christmas day and then had friends join us on boxing day. It was great!

Photography gift wise I received a voucher for a one to one day with an in-house photographer at a wildlife conservation park, which I am looking forward to immensely.

I got a really bad cold and and a sore throat for Christmas.
I must really like them because they are still here.

We had all our kids (4) back home for Christmas day and then had friends join us on boxing day. It was great!

Photography gift wise I received a voucher for a one to one day with an in-house photographer at a wildlife conservation park, which I am looking forward to immensely.

That sounds like a proper nice Christmas....and nice gift to

I would say one of my best presents I actually got before Christmas and that was our chimney fixed so we could use our open fire again

Nothing like it on a cold night :)

Christmas%20Tree.jpg

..... William Shakespeare said words to the effect that 'Hell hath no Fury like a Woman Scorned'!

I thought that was william blake

"Heaven hath no rage, like love to hatred turned, and hell hath no fury, like a woman spurned" (my old man was an english teacher ... when he wasnt being a drunken f***wit)

on topic I got a BWCphoto day (from the inlaws ), and a bunch of non photo related stuff including books on writing, on wood carving, a new wallet, the worlds supply of chocolate and a a new maglite

Ohh wood carving.... Do you do that. Always fancied having a go at that

I'm just starting out - been doing it for about a year. Ive been turning and scrolling for about 15 years so its just another direction for me

Two bottles of jam, (1) Blueberry & Cherry and (2) Blackeberry from our children and grandaughter.
A Photoshop magazine from my wife.
And my wife and I had a wonderfull couple of days with our children, and grandaughter, which was the best gift of all.

Family by dicktay2000, on Flickr

This is in thier side yard.

That sounds proper nice ..... And lovely photo :)

Nice Les Paul there barrysprout, I have a cheap copy Les Paul, the Epiphones are very nice by all accounts, what Amp do you use?

Thanks Ken, if you read my earlier reply regarding my progress you will know that there really is no call for amplifying these noises. In saying that I got a small vox modeling amp.

Nice Epi..! Have you checked out Justin Sandercoe's web tutorials (search for justinguitars).

My best Christmas present this year was seeing my grand-daughter taking her first unaided steps.

Back