What do you dislike the most about your age group?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm 19 and I hate how most of my age group is all about watching love island and taking selfies.

haha for me the constant boring about flash cars, expensive holidays, house extensions, how good they have it.
i'm 48 and it just seems they have written the new generations off.

Not knowing when I am going to peg it. Near retirement and have a few quid, so should I spend it now or eek it out till I'm 80/90/100? :)
Going to look at a new motorcycle and lens over the weekend.

Not knowing when I am going to peg it. Near retirement and have a few quid, so should I spend it now or eek it out till I'm 80/90/100? :)
Going to look at a new motorcycle and lens over the weekend.

good lad on the new motorcycle.
i just picked up a 2005 z750, friggin loving it

I'm in my 70's now and what I dislike is f*****g everything ,we are all grumpy old bastards :tumbleweed::wave:

Their 19 year old grandchildren...

Pretty much the same things that I dislike about people of any age group.

Not that many people, out and about, of my age group. Some are way ahead of the game, but many don't know what I am talking about, or even care.
Most people I know are already dead.

I'm 33.

The thing that most often infuriates me about my peers in their general inability to function as a well rounded human being.
No one seems to be able to get their hands dirty, do any kind of physical work (unless it is what they are paid for) or solve problems for themselves.

DIY is a classic example. I do every bit of work I can myself, often because I simply can't afford the labour costs of a tradesman on top of materials and if I could, I could think of much better things to spend that money on. So in the last two years I have refurbished an entire house from top to bottom with the only trades I have had to bring in is stuff I legally cant do myself. A gas engineer to fit a new boiler and a sparky to sign off the electrics I have worked on.

Yet for some reason all my mates around my age seem to be astounded at the work I have done. They all say things like "where do you find the time?" and "how do you know how to do it" as if they think it's some kind of primal instinct you are either born with or without. Well you make the time if it's important to you and if you don't know how to do it you learn from other people, give it a go, makes mistakes and improve the next time. Dare to actually say that and they come back with stuff like "oh I tried xyz once, but it took ages and I got bored and just left it". So I guess it's not an inability, but just pure laziness.

Another example that winds me right up on almost a daily basis at work is changing toner cartridges in a printer. I work in a civil and structural engineering firm, a big one and have some very bright people doing very good work. But if their print wont come out because it has run out of toner or jammed and they are screwed and will go and re send it to another printer and report it to admin staff requesting a technician comes and looks at it. Are you kidding me? Day in day out you are designing 70 story towers yet can's change a cartridge? The printer even has a screen giving step by step pictures of what to do. **** off you useless ****.

Ok, I'm done. I'm going for a lay down.

I have a theory: in the “Mad Men” days of advertising, the 50s & 60s, ads were squarely targeted at “the man of the house”, then later women were included too, but stuff was still sold primarily to adults in a grown up if slightly boring, sexist and patronising way. Over time advertising evolved and became more sophisticated, clever and better produced. Fine. Then advertisers realised that children could increasingly influence how their parents’ finances were spent and so they could sell product by targeting the spoiled children of these baby-boomers. I would say this became really prominent in the mid-late-80s onwards. “We’re relying on the kid to pester the mom to buy the product, rather than [advertising] straight to the mom.” Barbara A. Martino, Advertising Executive.

Now we have a situation where car insurance, the most boring and tedious of adult purchases, is being incentivised by stuffed meerkats or robot toys. Halifax, a bank, uses old Hanna Barbera cartoon characters to promote its financial services (another very unglamorous “adult” product). They are no longer relying on “pester power”, no child gives a monkeys about banking or car insurance providers (or has a clue who Top Cat or The Flintstones are, those adverts are so tragic, it’s like a clueless middle aged person’s idea of what’s “down with the kids”). Advertisers are directly targeting adults as if they are children.

Why? Because it works. Because the generation of adults, I’d say a few years younger than me (I’m 36), never really “grow-up” and continue pursuing their childhood pastimes into adulthood. In a lot of cases I have no problem with this, e.g. there are video games appropriate for any age. However when I see people in their thirties with a full set of meerkats (bonus points for having them on display), religiously playing pokemon Go, reading Harry Potter (fine, but it is a kids book), collecting minifigures (dolls, basically) or Panini stickers, the popularity of Marvel/superhero movies and Transformers, even playing with Lego (though I’d class that as borderline) I have to wonder. I can accept having your own kids as mitigation but I know many singles and couples who are like this.

On a side note anyone saying “Can I get a…” in a shop or restaurant needs to get back in the sea.

Last edited:
I have nothing bad to say about my generation, we're awesome!

Loosing hearing, health and.... and......... eh.................zzzzzzzzzzz
Nope ain't lost that yet ,can still put a smile on the old ladies face :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Nope ain't lost that yet ,can still put a smile on the old ladies face :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Just like Soeren does? ;)

I don't dislike anything about my age group, but I do dislike the way I can't sleep so well and various parts of me ache too much. The upside is that pretty young things will now talk to me like they're safe, but the downside is that they are.

Just like Soeren does? ;)

I don't dislike anything about my age group, but I do dislike the way I can't sleep so well and various parts of me ache too much. The upside is that pretty young things will now talk to me like they're safe, but the downside is that they are.
:LOL:

The problem with both the young and the old is this.

The young don't realise that as the old are now, one day they will be the same.

The old have forgotten that as the young are now, they once were the same.

Creaky knees and the fact that I will soon be 'celebrating' :beer:50 years of my life being over. :runaway: :wideyed:

Back