What do you....erm.... wear

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
The question is, what clothes do you wear when you go out in the field with your camera.
Ok so its normal when you go do a photo shoot at a wedding, to be smartly dressed but what if you go out of your normal routine.
Macro photographers, what would you normally wear and why?
Im not just targeting those in the Macro side of things.
Maybe this thread will be a learning curve for some, like the beginners.
Come on, tell us all what you wear and why.

Smart corporate event:
activity trainers
black trousers
shirt
black rab jacket

Any other shoot:
activity trainers
black jeans
shirt or tshirt
black rab jacket

I throw myself on the floor, up ladders and more, and end in unpredictable weather conditions all the time...

For me I mainly shoot beaches and landscape (live in Cornwall) so I dress for the beach etc.

I like to fit in with my surroundings is I guess my point, not look like a photographer.

In fact for me it's usually the bag that changes to fit in where I am, rather than the other way around.

Favourite for the beach - my ThinkTank Retro 7.

Out 'in the field' whether Macro or Wildlife I wear my normal clobber. I hate the way photographers dress up like photographers. Does my napper in and they look like t***s:rolleyes:

Generally I'll have on my DM's, 501's, either a Polo or Button Down shirt and a Harrington, Monkey or Donkey jacket, occasionally a Crombie but they're a bit cumbersome for photography.

And theres me thinking that toggers were.........Normal hahahaha

I wear whatever I would where if I was going to the same place but not taking photos. As quite a lot of my photos are landscapes in NW Scotland it is the normal gear for a walk.

Dave

I'll stick with Chanel No 5...

I like my man boobs to be free.

Thats sooo wrong, but in a nice way :D:whistle:
I was going to say bxlls out...

To be honest, I sometimes wear my work trousers. Being a workman I use trousers with loads of pockets and integral knee pads. Kind of useful for kneeling and pockets abound for filters, lenses and such like. It also doesn't matter about getting wet and dirty- you get used to it on plumbing jobs and I'm beyond caring at my age :)

Last edited:
That's actually an interesting question as I'm starting to become more conscious of what I wear when I go out shooting street. Often I'm the only white bloke on the block, and the fact I wear western clothes tends to make me look more like a tourist than a resident.

Not sure how I'm going to overcome my white-ish-ness though :confused:

Mars bar clothing...

#1 Shooting classical music concerts - Dressy casual.

#2 Shooting motor racing - High visibility vests etc.
This is I, on a day when rain is hanging about.

Trackside (Me). by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#3 Coastal dawn shoots. Very casual - except nowdays if you are shooting from wet rock shelves you must have spiked rock fishing boots on.

Splash! by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#4 Just aout and about in the country - This is where our children live.
Me by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#5 I never ever wear outits like the guy on the right - This is on vacation and I am the guy with the back pack.
IMG_7315 by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm not having a pop at the OP but isn't is a bit obvious?
If you are doing corperate or weddings it will be a suit, shirt and tie (or at least very smart for a weddings but perhaps without a tie).
If you are out and about crawling on the ground trying to get the perfect wildlife shot either old clothes, jeans or combats, boots and warm waterproof jacket (if in the winter) or camo gear in general.
You're not going to wear a suit to street photography so casual would be the choice.
If you are in a hot country doing landscapes then shorts, t shirt and a hat?
For motorsports causal and a hi vis jacket.
If you are doing studio portrait work then shirt, trousers and shoes.

Personally I wear the following -

Full ghillie suit for formal occasions. A three piece morning suit for all my wildlife outings. For street photography I put on my best high heels and a cocktail dress ...

On a serious note, what's the deal with jeans? Seriously. They are hot, stiff, tight, restrictive, uncomfortable & blue. Genuinely can't fathom out why so many people wear them all the time. If I'm bending around doing photographing I couldn't think of anything worse. Well, maybe a suit of armour ...

:)

For macro, I'll usually wear a hoody, some kind of jacket (depending on weather) walking shoes and jeans. What I really should wear is some waterproof trouser covers when I'm kneeling in the mud, but I don't have any at the moment.

If I sneak my muddy clothes into the laundry basket before the wife sees me, there's usually no problem...

For macro, I'll usually wear a hoody, some kind of jacket (depending on weather) walking shoes and jeans. What I really should wear is some waterproof trouser covers when I'm kneeling in the mud, but I don't have any at the moment.

If I sneak my muddy clothes into the laundry basket before the wife sees me, there's usually no problem...

This, but with the newly purchased waterproof trousers for laying on the wet ground. If I remember to put them on.

Other than that whatever I'm wearing at the time... Jeans, Jumper ohhhh and a baby.

Sleeping baby
by bthomas124, on Flickr

I was going to say bxlls out...

To be honest, I sometimes wear my work trousers. Being a workman I use trousers with loads of pockets and integral knee pads. Kind of useful for kneeling and pockets abound for filters, lenses and such like. It also doesn't matter about getting wet and dirty- you get used to it on plumbing jobs and I'm beyond caring at my age :)

Interesting to hear, I had been eying up a pair of those trousers, loads of pockets and knee pads stuck me as being very useful.

I'm not having a pop at the OP but isn't is a bit obvious?
If you are doing corperate or weddings it will be a suit, shirt and tie (or at least very smart for a weddings but perhaps without a tie).
If you are out and about crawling on the ground trying to get the perfect wildlife shot either old clothes, jeans or combats, boots and warm waterproof jacket (if in the winter) or camo gear in general.
You're not going to wear a suit to street photography so casual would be the choice.
If you are in a hot country doing landscapes then shorts, t shirt and a hat?
For motorsports causal and a hi vis jacket.
If you are doing studio portrait work then shirt, trousers and shoes.
Ok to be fair your right but...........
For me just popping out to do some Macro work in the country air was always fine but I got thinking, why do I scare the butterflies/flies or whatever away, I mean its just me, I like wearing white t-shirts, there`s no rules on what to wear so last week I got thinking, maybe I should try to blend in with my surroundings, wear a green t-shirt and some green trousers, my camera bag is a light green colour so no problem there.
I`m sure it helped me get that bit closer to my subjects.
Its taken me a year to suss this out as I had never read anything about clothing and photography and how to blend in with your environment so as stated in the main (1st) thread, maybe this will help some newer people to macro but its also extended to other photographers (birders) or others.
I did intend this to be a serious thread but now looks like theres a few people on this forum who like a bit of fun, oh well if you like wearing a borat style mansuit thats up to you :D anyhow, it breaks up the day reading what other toggers like to wear or dont ;)
Thanks

oh well if you like wearing a borat style mansuit thats up to you

It is green so maybe that will help you blend in ;) :p

Anyway I wear bright coloured clothes etc never seems to bother the bugs, its my shadow that bothers them the most. Maybe you need to practice being slower and calmer? :D

It is green so maybe that will help you blend in ;) :p

Anyway I wear bright coloured clothes etc never seems to bother the bugs, its my shadow that bothers them the most. Maybe you need to practice being slower and calmer? :D
That too but I do think darker clothes have helped.

Ok to be fair your right but...........
For me just popping out to do some Macro work in the country air was always fine but I got thinking, why do I scare the butterflies/flies or whatever away, I mean its just me, I like wearing white t-shirts, there`s no rules on what to wear so last week I got thinking, maybe I should try to blend in with my surroundings, wear a green t-shirt and some green trousers, my camera bag is a light green colour so no problem there.

Ahh now you have raised an interesting point and it makes more sense.
I tend to try and blend in with the sorroundings when I am out and about, I find it helps not to scare small birds off.
My hat is off to you purposely looking for butterflys, I've been lucky with a few but find they tend bugger off when I am trying focus on them :D

I don't do smart functions.

If I'm just out photographing, then I wear whatever I'm wearing that day. I don't get changed as such.

If I'm out photographing wildlife then I'll wear something that blends in although I don't go for the whole camo thing. Trousers with lots of pockets if it's too warm for a jacket.

That said my wellies are camo because it's what they had in my size when I bought them.

IMG_1183 by dinners85, on Flickr

Ahh now you have raised an interesting point and it makes more sense.
I tend to try and blend in with the sorroundings when I am out and about, I find it helps not to scare small birds off.
My hat is off to you purposely looking for butterflys, I've been lucky with a few but find they tend bugger off when I am trying focus on them :D
All bugs really, its fascinating :D

Dont forget you are shoving a big black object in there faces too graham which catches the light and reflects it back on them.

I will need to test the theory but I don't think clothes make much difference at all but then I do dress like a tree. ;) lmao

Some people need to come to their senses about colours and animals/bugs/birds.
They don't see colours. It tends to be in black and white, whether or not it is red or blue shifted.
For most nonhuman eyes it's movement that is recognised.

Back