What do you....erm.... wear

You can always take a hint from nature on how to blend in...

_70110236_hi018704191.jpg

Please please Graham do this.... lmao.... maybe you have to dress as the animal your trying to shoot ;)

Do a series in all the outfits :D

Last edited:
Some people need to come to their senses about colours and animals/bugs/birds.
They don't see colours. It tends to be in black and white, whether or not it is red or blue shifted.
For most nonhuman eyes it's movement that is recognised.

But if I'm hiding in a bush - I don't want people to see me ;)

But if I'm hiding in a bush - I don't want people to see me ;)
That's a good point. The number of times people have stopped to give me a "prod" because I've been lying at the bottom of some ditch some where trying to get a low angle shot of some bug or other. They just assume I've fallen and need help. I even saw a guy in Spain cross himself as he approached me once, obviously suspecting I was no longer of this world.

What I should do is wear full zombie makeup and watch them run off screaming when I stand up :)

No
This, but with the newly purchased waterproof trousers for laying on the wet ground. If I remember to put them on.

Other than that whatever I'm wearing at the time... Jeans, Jumper ohhhh and a baby.

Sleeping baby
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Nope.... Never in a million years, is that what I thought you looked like lol...

Knee pads are often overlooked.
You've no idea how comfortable it makes you, as well as staying dry on damp ground.
I never think twice about getting down and dirty with kneepads.
BTW, they're green!

For me it's normally combats or stealth gear extreme trousers. Nice thing about the stealth gear trousers are they are waterproof, warm and as Ken has mentioned, knee pads are amazing :)

Baggy trousers, No shorts - ever, no matter how nice the weather. My legs are like milk bottles and you cant get much whiter and I think I'd end up attracting all the insects - I want to photograph them, but not on me, especially wood lice or anything thats going to sting lol

Begs the question what did you think I look like?... this is the most unflattering photo too.
Lol it's nothing bad... You know how it is, you get a picture in your head of what someone looks like... I thought you were much older...lol... :)

Borat-style suspenders panties and a bra, every time.

I once went to work in a suspenders panties and a bra for charity. Me and a few other lads. Was quite a good laugh and we raised about £3500 if I remember rightly.

Ended up in the local rag as well. A very proud moment :D

Some people need to come to their senses about colours and animals/bugs/birds.
They don't see colours. It tends to be in black and white, whether or not it is red or blue shifted.
For most nonhuman eyes it's movement that is recognised.

That's not true. Some animals have good colour vision. Some don't.

For macro in the summer just work trousers or walking trousers with lots of pockets
And on top it doesn't matter but just a waterproof jacket it's raining

This is a really interesting thread.

I do wonder about the urge to dress up in full combat/camouflage gear as a photographer. Does that really help? I do wonder.

Whilst stags are rutting i often watch the long line of camouflage gear photographers strolling through Richmond/Bushy Park and think hmm.

I generally wear clothes to suit the weather and environment but nothing I am too precious about so dont get worried if its muddy/grass stains/ripped etc

Though waterproof trousers may be a very good investment :)

I'll wear a decent suit for Weddings, Christenings etc, my daughters say i'm a show off lol, smart casual for anything else.

You can always take a hint from nature on how to blend in...

_70110236_hi018704191.jpg

Is it just me who had a flash of Shere Khan approaching stealthily from behind thinking he was about to get lucky? :OO:

That's a good point. The number of times people have stopped to give me a "prod" because I've been lying at the bottom of some ditch some where trying to get a low angle shot of some bug or other. They just assume I've fallen and need help. I even saw a guy in Spain cross himself as he approached me once, obviously suspecting I was no longer of this world.

What I should do is wear full zombie makeup and watch them run off screaming when I stand up :)

Needs another person to be shooting video for YouTube!

Oh for the love of all thing good and pure... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:plus1:

TBH, I don't give what I'm wearing much thought. As a rule, I'm found in Rohan trousers with a shirt on and I'm unlikely to change unless I need a coat. I'm not the sort (or shape!) to do stealthy, so camo gear wouldn't be worth it, neither do I have the patience to sit around for ages waiting for things to come to me - again, no need for camo! I really should get a decent pair of knee protectors though - years of abuse have started to take their toll on them and it's getting harder to get back up from kneeling!

Another tip: I will usually take a couple of black bin liners rolled up and stuffed in my back pack so I can throw those down when needed.

I should add that I don't wear the suspenders panties and a bra to weddings unless they pay extra ;)

On a more serious note, I remember some discussions about what wedding photographers should/shouldn't wear. I always just took it for granted that I should try to blend with the guests, i.e. wear an appropriate suit, shirt and tie, but I've heard stories of wedding photographers rolling up in everything from tuxedos to jeans and trainers! It seems wedding couples also aren't keen on the 'man in black' / Johnny Cash black shirt and trousers look, either. I've also always thought that those polo shirts with the photography company's logo on it are irredeemably naff. Personally I think it makes my job a whole lot easier if my clothes aren't making me stick out like a sore thumb and are appropriate to the occasion; I guess that is the golden rule that spans different photography disciplines.

Lol it's nothing bad... You know how it is, you get a picture in your head of what someone looks like... I thought you were much older...lol... :)
Pmsl :D

This is a really interesting thread.

I do wonder about the urge to dress up in full combat/camouflage gear as a photographer. Does that really help? I do wonder.

Whilst stags are rutting i often watch the long line of camouflage gear photographers strolling through Richmond/Bushy Park and think hmm.

I generally wear clothes to suit the weather and environment but nothing I am too precious about so dont get worried if its muddy/grass stains/ripped etc

Though waterproof trousers may be a very good investment :)
That long line of toggers is this lot replying on this thread :D

Oh ffs that's the 2nd person to say that :muted: :muted:

I put my age on my profile :rolleyes:. But I guess it's the way I'm so elegant, refined and wise in the way I write lol (y)

It really depends but a day on the beach in January may be my thermal lined trousers thermal vest fleece jumper Down jackect morino wool hat gloves and walking boots then I am usually warm enough for an hour.

Then it is the west coast of Cumbria and it is a touch cool.

Fort macro away from the house it will be waterproof boots, walking trousers and I carry a sheet of plastic to kneel on other than that I dress for how cold it is so for instance it was 9 degrees C and raining here for much of the day when London had 24 deg C and sunny.

Back