What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

If I never see another Kingfisher photo it would still be too bloody soon. I stopped clicking on the kingfisher threads on this site years ago, but they occasionally turn up in other threads and catch me out.

A few minutes up the road to me there is a RSPB reserve, just put a board up advertising it
Quite a large hoarding actually and what's on it, yes you guessed it a great big Kingfisher
(no Puffins here thankfully)

If you photograph London a lot you might say that everything in

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photographing-london-volume-1-pre-orders-available.701172/

has been done to death. Of course if this also not sympomatic of the easy access to camera phone

https://www.instagram.com/insta_repeat/?hl=en

Is full of over done image locations

My second choice would have been Brick Lane especially the tagging style graffiti on some of the metal shop roller blinds.

Come along to the next London meet, we try to find the much less photographed places and subjects
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/london-meet-november-25th.701432/page-2#post-8542004

Last edited:
I know what you’re saying - but, having never even seen a kingfisher in real life (72 years), I’d love the opportunity to photograph one for myself :confused:
I match your experience exactly, but I have been told that the majority of Kingfisher shots are taken under controlled conditions.

As others have said, it's not the photo, it's sharing it that causes the annoyance.

I suspect part of this hatred for certain images is born out of jealousy (not that anyone would admit that).

Either these people don’t have the skills, kit or drive to go out and get the shots themselves.

That being said if I had to pick a particular composition that I think is most overdone, it’d have to be the Storr on Skye, usually by those that like to ‘bag moody bangers’ on IG. To be honest it’s more the edit than the particular shot.

Most Scottish landscapes posted in these forums. The photographers would have far less environmental impact if they just took a screen grab of the image they wished to copy.... sorry ‘recreate’.
Perhaps we need to coin a couple of phrases here: 'Landscape Clone-ographs' and 'Landscape Cloneographers'? I think it must be getting near the stage where there's a risk of people falling down the holes worn by tripods legs in some locations, there've been that many photos taken from the same spot! Still, if it makes people happy, who is anyone to say it's wrong... it shouldn't stop us having a bit of a laugh at our hobby and its foibles though. :)

Last edited:
HaHa this is a fun thread ... just when I was getting bored rigid with TP. ;):clap:

Reactions: rpn
One thing that I find interesting about run-of-the-mill landscape photos is that they often recieve "great photo" type comments and I wonder if the people making those comments would live with the photo that they thought was so great printed large and and hung on their wall for a year?

One thing that I find interesting about run-of-the-mill landscape photos is that they often recieve "great photo" type comments and I wonder if the people making those comments would live with the photo that they thought was so great printed large and and hung on their wall for a year?
I think thats not exclusive to landscape photos but all photos in general, part of the Chitter/Friendface/InstaInfluencer-generation where likes give a dose of dopamine rather than an honest critique.

Blimey with all these "I am sick of...…" what is left to take pictures off to appease everyone? I have zero dislikes each to their own

Researching a few places to visit on holiday …. type in the name of the town/village etc and then click on images. Thousands of the same waterfall or palace etc. Iconic shots to drive you mad.

Red/Orange sky sunsets, sunsets, sunsets, sunsets.........did I mention sunsets.

"Ooh, I just bought my first decent camera and I've discovered that if I just leave it on auto and point it directly at the low sun it automatically makes it look really orangey and cool even though it actually doesn't look like that at all. Wow, I'm gonna take a ton of these"

Iconic shots have the stigma of having been "done to death". In some cases, if I visit an iconic location I'll attempt to avoid the norm and try different approaches. I don't particularly like to follow the herd.

Images where HDR, stacking, or LR sliders are used to bring down all the highlights and lift all the shadows (ironically removing any dynamic range).
For something very specific though, without a doubt this. Compressed dynamic range images, which look flat. Add to that the misconception that it is what film looks like.

TBH they'd be much easier to live with than many acknowledged 'great' photos from other genres.

I spent around 30min last night looking through Dr. Glenn Losack's Flickr pages. Great images, but very few wall hangers.

Last edited:
Aren't many of these part of the "right of passage" for photographer on the learning path? ... I guess that is why they are posted so often because they are part of the learning path.
You meant 'rites', not 'right'. But yes this can be a factor. However some never get beyond ...

I see an awful lot of very capable photographers visting well-trodden locations (they've no doubt seen online), taking a shot in an unoriginal way (again, copying framing or a post-production style they've seen online)... and then - d'oh! - posting their shots online.

It's basically just a box-ticking exercise, turning photography into stamp collecting or something.

Hands up, I've been guilty of this myself. (I guess we all have?)

But there comes a point where you shouldn't need others to validate your skill level. If your photo is accomplished, but already been seen a million times, do you need to post it online?

I think once you've reached a certain level of competence you owe it to yourself and others to do something original, and to find your own style.

I'm writing this to me, btw. Anyone want to see my pics of Durdle Door?! :p

Last edited:
why do they drive you mad? They’re iconic shots for a reason
Didn't make myself clear, as per usual. Looking through the itinerary of a trip to India. Type in one of the places we would visit and hey presto ... an extremely limited range of images, the iconic shots.

Is some of the problem because people follow the "rules". On the thirds, leading (or is it lead in) lines, foreground interest etc. If you can start to break the rules, you can end up with something a bit different.
I'm not a great photographer and do find myself following the"rules", but I'm also quite happy to bang something in the middle of the frame, if I think it works better.

They're basically, like this: https://biSPAM/2BvK1D4

Mine are too, but they're not EXACTLY like any of those, and I'm still happy to both view them myself and show them to others.

More generally we should ask where does this kind of thinking end? Now Neil Burnell has developed his own iconic style of photography should he stop taking those kinds of pictures because he's done them to death? Must Steve give up his reflections for the same reason? In fact I wonder if, based on the premise of this thread, we shouldn't all just leave our cameras at home in the future?

Blimey with all these "I am sick of...…" what is left to take pictures off to appease everyone?
Nothing.

Perhaps we should start another thread with the title "What is the complaint about other people's enjoyment that you are bored rigid from seeing"? :naughty:

More generally we should ask where does this kind of thinking end? Now Neil Burnell has developed his own iconic style of photography should he stop taking those kinds of pictures because he's done them to death? Must Steve give up his reflections for the same reason? In fact I wonder if, based on the premise of this thread, we shouldn't all just leave our cameras at home in the future?

Everyone is free to take whatever photos they like, of course! Enoying taking them, looking at them, showing friends and family etc.

I'm merely questioning if one should share highly derivative images with the world online.

Last edited:
Everyone is free to take whatever photos they like, of course! Enoying taking them, looking at them, showing friends and family etc.

I'm merely questioning if one should share highly derivative images with the world online.

But why does that affect you in any way? People are proud of their images and want to show other people.

Nothing wrong with that.

But why does that affect you in any way?

I follow photography avidly across print and online. I'd like to see less cookie-cutter photography and more art and creativity.

Look, I'd never tell someone that their work is boring or derivative! I don't leave negative comments online.

I'm simply using it as motivation to improve my own work.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'd like to see less cookie-cutter photography and more art and creativity.
I remember reading similar comments in the letter columns of photographic magazines in 1965. There have always been people who want to impose their own ideas of "good photography" on everyone else. :thinking:

I remember reading similar comments in the letter columns of photographic magazines in 1965. There have always been people who want to impose their own ideas of "good photography" on everyone else. :thinking:

The difference, in 2019, is that there are millions and millions of photographs taken and published every single day.

Of course, a solution to repetition is to simply not look at photographs online - but then one would miss out on the great stuff too.

Further reading: https://www.instagram.com/insta_repeat/ :p

Last edited:
"What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing"

NONE!

Every single exposure, regardless of subject matter, is different simply because it is taken at a completely different time ( even if that be a fraction of a second)

I'm beginning to think we are back to the old art vs. craft debate again. For some people perfecting the craft is the objective and to do that it is necessary to repeat what others have done or else how do you know you mastered a technique if there is nothing to compare it against. For others it is more about conveying how you feel when you see a scene, it is a personal expression or some comment on the human condition. The craftsman wants to show the quality of their work, the artist wants to comment on the world and perhaps challenge preconceptions. Neither one of these things is “better” than the other and of course most of us have and need elements of both.

I wonder if this kind of debate would arise if the forum were categorised differently? Suppose rather than subject based forums there where skill level based forums, beginner, journeyman, master. Would we be bemoaning another Durdle Door shot in the beginner or journeyman sections?

There's plenty of Iconic photographs I get fed up with seeing, Eiffel tower is one of them, but heck somebody might you never know come up with a really interesting twist on the norm...

But in truth, taking photographs of Iconic subjects be it castle, landscape or attraction, its a way of honing our skills, we have something to compare too, and also creating our own style...

What gets my goat, is seeing the over saturated, out of focus mediocre photograph, that everyone is deeming a master piece when obviously it's far from it

The difference, in 2019, is that there are millions and millions of photographs taken and published every single day.
Isn't this a good thing? If not, why not?

"What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing"

NONE!

Every single exposure, regardless of subject matter, is different simply because it is taken at a completely different time ( even if that be a fraction of a second)

gHsQYBe.jpg

Back