What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

"What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing"

NONE!

Every single exposure, regardless of subject matter, is different simply because it is taken at a completely different time ( even if that be a fraction of a second)
Hey, aren't you supposed to be old and grumpy?! We'll have none of that namby pamby positivity here thank you very much! ;)

Last edited:
I know this is going to be unpopular with some people, but someone has to say it!

All landscapes!

They've all been done before! If I see one more photo of a mountain reflected in a lake, rocks and heather, or flipping Glencoe I'll scream!

Yes, we've all taken them. Yes, they can look very pretty. Yes, friends and family seem to like them. Yes, some of them require photographic skill, personal effort, braving of the elements, getting up when it's still dark to set up the shot in time, etc. etc. But they've all been done before... and for that reason I'm bored stiff by them!
Except they haven’t. The light is always different, the sky is different, the clouds are different, the flora and fauna are different. If you think they’re all the same you’re not looking hard enough.

You're bored by other people's pictures? Really?
I think you're probably just bored of life then, and you know what the solution is to that.
May I suggest just going offline for a year.
Its a photography forum after all (y)

Nothing really bothers me, I can always Skip over the ones I don't want to look at.
I suppose what bothers me more is people complaining about this that or the other, and never seem to post anything of their own ;)
( not you Toni obviously)

Well lit portraits of bored looking people.

Haha, yes. I’m no portrait photographer but some people concentrate far too much on the technical side and completely miss out on any emotion or character.

This is the same as long exposure without an interesting subject. Where the subject is the cool smooth water. I like long exposures but the decision to do a long exposure should be to make a good photo better. Or to express the feeling you had when you were there the last photo i shot was a long exposure sea scape: I took 2 shots, a long exposure (150 secs or something) and another at 1/2 sec to get some feeling of movement in the waves. I much preferred the long exposure because the feeling I had when I was there was of calmness and serenity. If it was a stormy day and I wanted to express the energy and drama then I would have gone with the 1/2 sec.

These things are all just tools of expression. But to a child with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I remember reading similar comments in the letter columns of photographic magazines in 1965. There have always been people who want to impose their own ideas of "good photography" on everyone else. :thinking:

Even back then people were sick of Black Rock Cottage etc..

Please keep taking shots like that, everyone but keep them to yourselves!

There've always been boring images, but never in such quantities and never (with a vengeance) so publically available.

gHsQYBe.jpg

Without wishing to come across as lacking in intelligence, but is this image supposed to tell me something about your opion of my posting?

If so, then personally I would prefer to receive your message in words ( English or even french if you prefer) so that I can clearly and concisely understand what it is that you are attempting ( and failing to do, with me anyway) to express.

Well a fun thread managed to get serious, lighten up people.
No deep meaning here and no I'm not bored with life at all.
Don't feel like you have to be upset on anyone else's behalf.

Now where's that plastic Pigeon and Earthworms, no Puffin or Sandeels here.

Last edited:
Without wishing to come across as lacking in intelligence, but is this image supposed to tell me something about your opion of my posting?

If so, then personally I would prefer to receive your message in words ( English or even french if you prefer) so that I can clearly and concisely understand what it is that you are attempting ( and failing to do, with me anyway) to express.

you said you don’t mind any photo.

I posted “any” photo I got my hands on.

evidently any photo doesn’t work. :p

Sunsets. Got loads of them :p:)

Street photos that are nothing of the sort.

evidently any photo doesn’t work. :p

Not in explaining the meaning of your posting that ( or any other photo) no, the photo doesn't work as you included no words to make your point clear.

As it is you have made an effort to reply to clarify of which I appreciate::ty:

I'm predominantly a landscape photographer, there are very few other genres I follow unless they're exceptional photographers.

What am I sick of seeing? Nothing. I enjoy seeing other peoples works, and whilst they may not be my cuppa tea, if they don't conjure up emotion, I still appreciate the time that went into making the image.

What I LOVE to see though, are images that are full of emotion, power, feeling. The type of image that makes you want to be there. Images that connect. These for me are great landscape images.

I think that covers much of what has been said above, from landscape to long exposure to street, perhaps the largest category of photos we see are much more about the photographer "playing with the toys" rather than producing meaningful work.

:wave: Guilty. I've just come back to photography (6 months ish). Only film before. Still working through menus and new digital toys. Both on camera and LR/PS. I enjoy it and am a bit geeky like that. Must get back to photography soon.

:wave: Guilty. I've just come back to photography (6 months ish). Only film before. Still working through menus and new digital toys. Both on camera and LR/PS. I enjoy it and am a bit geeky like that. Must get back to photography soon.
I think most of us like to play, it's fun and for some people it seems to be an end in itself which is fine but the output from playing often doesn't add much to the sum total of photographic endeavour :)

Reading through this, can't help but think it would be interesting to see the photographs that do interest people. I assume everyone has something they enjoy looking at and/or striving for themselves?

I think that's a great idea, so start the thread off. (y)

Those that want to play can link to a photo or two they think qualifies (so we don't breech copyright) and say why it interests and inspires us (if that's within Forum rules and OK with the moderators?). No photos of our own though, this is would be for those photos that have interested and inspired us, not an opportunity to showcase your own efforts. So shall we give it a go?

Last edited:
This isn't a photo but I'm bored by people who refer to their photos as their "work."

Being "work" would suck all of the joy out of it for me and I cringe a little inside when I read this. If you're getting paid then fair enough, it's work, but if you take pictures for the joy of it it isn't work, surely.

Sorry to those who view their photographic output as work :D

This isn't a photo but I'm bored by people who refer to their photos as their "work."

Being "work" would suck all of the joy out of it for me and I cringe a little inside when I read this. If you're getting paid then fair enough, it's work, but if you take pictures for the joy of it it isn't work, surely.

Sorry to those who view their photographic output as work :D

'Work' as in 'work of art' rather than 'job', I suppose. Of course, that could be viewed as pretentious, which is even worse :)

Sunsets. Got loads of them :p:)

Street photos that are nothing of the sort.
Oh I agree with the street, when people take a photo in the street that has no story. Thats generally why I tend to refer to it as "social reportage"

Macro photos of insects.
Gotta disagree with you there
I completely agree that full flash shots of insects with a black background are boring and look the same there’s a lot more to macro than that it’s what I’m into been doing it since 2006 and still learning and trying new things

'Work' as in 'work of art' rather than 'job', I suppose. Of course, that could be viewed as pretentious, which is even worse :)
If photographs are "made not taken" it involves making, and making is work (which doesn't have to be a chore). I imagine a hobbyist wood turner thinks of themself as working at their lathe when making something, for example.

So in conclusion,

All portraits
All landscapes
Macro
Bokeh
Street
Reportage

We're a tough crowd, aren't we? :D

You know, as bored as I am of seeing some stuff, I still enjoy them. :)

I do worry about the footfall to beautiful locations. Iceland has rocketed in popularity and over time we will see degradation of these natural wonders. :(

This post (even though as I understand it, was a little tongue in cheek) isn't really very encouraging, for those that like/want to post photos.

Back