What Is This Lens?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Asked to value this today. Found myself stumped.

No markings apart from a serial number. No aperture control, just focus.

Anyone know?

IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg

We have a lens at home that we just use as a magnifying glass that has come from medical equipment, so perhaps that's another possibility, although ours does have writing on and is fixed focus and aperture.

Or a process lens? It does have a lockable focussing mechanism, it would seem (second image, top screw).

Without markings it would seem to be of very little monetary value.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Could you estimate the focal length and aperture diameter to get an idea as to whether it's likely to be a projector lens? Generally, projector lenses are reasonably bright, and process lenses have apertures around f/9.

I have some fairly similar lenses that apparently came from large back projection TV systems.
Fun to adapt if you have something like a 5x4 body & can make your own lens boards :)

Could you estimate the focal length and aperture diameter to get an idea as to whether it's likely to be a projector lens? Generally, projector lenses are reasonably bright, and process lenses have apertures around f/9.
Sadly it's back at the shop now. Unscientifically, it's about the size of a modern (unextended) 24-70 2.8. The aperture was I'd say about 3/4 inch.

Thanks for all the suggestions & taking the time to reply. (y)

If a projector lens, I'd expect the aperture to be around f/2.8. Calling that f/3, the focal length would be around 9/4, call it around 60mm and a possible projector lens for roll film. If a process lens, I'd expect an aperture of around f/9, which, again using the 3/4" measure, gives a focal length of about 27/4", call it 7" or (say) 240mm since we're approximating and guessing like crazy.

The lack of any adjustment, or position for Waterhouse stops might make a project lens more likely.

Last edited:
Back