What is this setting used for

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
This is on a Canon, but I suspect it fairly common across different manufacturers.
I've never used it, because I don't understand it and what situation I would need it.
What is it used for, what situation would you think about using it?

IMG_20191007_184113.jpgIMG_20191007_184104.jpg

It's White Balance bracketing - if you're shooting JPEG and you're unsure of the correct WB you can bracket it in the same way you do exposure - surely everyone does this?

No? Me neither - nor can I think of a suitable situation for it.

It's White Balance bracketing - if you're shooting JPEG and you're unsure of the correct WB you can bracket it in the same way you do exposure - surely everyone does this?

No? Me neither - nor can I think of a suitable situation for it.
Thanks for that explanation, I shall continue too ignore it then :)

Never noticed this, does Nikon have it ?

Some do. IIRC the D750 does (but can't remember TBH - never used it but vaguely recollect seeing it being available when I read the manual.)

My d5300 has it according to the field manual on the sofa behind me....never used it myself.

Best I check my manual, I’d like to ignore it as well

Edit:
Well you learn something new everyday :oops: :$
4059BCBE-065A-4A75-8222-682433902CE4.png

Last edited:
Being honest I have to admit I've never even tried a WB bracket, not even to see how it works.... Not sure I'm going to start now either.

In theory it might be useful in mixed lighting situations - however by the time you’ve looked at 3 versions to pick the best wb, you would probably be as quick to adjust the wb in post?

I can see why you'd obviously pick a WB but to shoot a bracketed one I see no point.

I was thinking it's more likely useful with auto WB for a tungsten / fluorescent / flash mix situation, which is quite common and for which gels don't really help, then select the best jpeg from each bracket with no editing.

I was thinking it's more likely useful with auto WB for a tungsten / fluorescent / flash mix situation, which is quite common and for which gels don't really help, then select the best jpeg from each bracket with no editing.

I guess that could make sense in a strange way.

The addition of "anti flicker" has IMHO made WB bracketeing of little or no use for me ;)

You probably just can't find it in Nikon's menu system! ;)

Come on, you can't expect me to miss a chance like that to tease the Nikon fans! :giggle: :canon:
Touche, i'll let you have that one ;):LOL:

but to be fair its not even in the menus, we Nikon users have buttons for this type of thing :banana:

Back