Beginner What lens does what...

Edit My Images
No
Morning all!.is there any information out there regarding which lens are suitable for what photography? Info for a complete newbie so to speak.
For instance I have for my Nikon,the kit lens 18-55mm, a 50mm and a 70-300mm.
What would you say the best uses for these lenses are?.any info in the simplest of explanations would by great :oops: :$:)

I don't think I've ever seen a list like that... but I think it's mostly down to preference and also the spec and technical stuff.

For example the 18-55mm lens you have would make a nice general purpose lens for me but it is just possible that someone else could prefer the 70-300mm for general purpose use :D It's down to the field of view you like and which is suitable for the subject you want to take pictures of.

On thing with could limit the usefulness of your zoom lenses could be the aperture range which could make them of limited use in lower light but other than that the actual focal lengths of 18-55 and 70-300mm could be very useful for many subjects for most people.

Having said all that... there are people who believe and insist things like that you need a wide angle lens for landscape and a longer lens for portrait shooting. In reality these things are more likely personal taste than essentials whereas something like shooting wildlife may genuinely require a longer lens :D

You could use any lens for any situation in theory but I might use those lenses for the following: 18-55 - with this being a wide angle lens at the '18' end I'd use this for landscapes. At the longer end say 35-55mm i might use it for say street photography and portraits. The 50mm I would use for portraits. The 70-300 I would probably use for action so think maybe sports or wildlife. Others may use their 70-300 for landscapes for instance - it really depends on the situation and conditions but that would be my* rule of thumb. Others might have a differing view.

Morning mate.

This would be quite subjective really. Kit, as well as 50mm could be used as your general lenses for most of stuff. 70-300 could be good for walk with your dogs or an airshow, spotting etc. It only depends on you and how you like your photos. Take your time with them, experiment and have fun :).

You could use any lens for any situation in theory but I might use those lenses for the following: 18-55 - with this being a wide angle lens at the '18' end I'd use this for landscapes. At the longer end say 35-55mm i might use it for say street photography and portraits. The 50mm I would use for portraits. The 70-300 I would probably use for action so think maybe sports or wildlife. Others may use their 70-300 for landscapes for instance - it really depends on the situation and conditions but that would be my* rule of thumb. Others might have a differing view.

Thanks for that,that is exactly what I thought they might be suited too!.so I'm not too far out then lol

Morning mate.

This would be quite subjective really. Kit, as well as 50mm could be used as your general lenses for most of stuff. 70-300 could be good for walk with your dogs or an airshow, spotting etc. It only depends on you and how you like your photos. Take your time with them, experiment and have fun :).

Thank for the reply mate.didn't think of using the 70-300 for a walk with the dogs,thought the 18-55 would of been more suitable.interesting what you say about the 50mm,I didn't think that would be suitable for general use,more a portraite lens?

Use them for what you want. But I will say that the 50mm will probably be a little long for every day use on a crop sensor camera unless that's the way your creative eye sees the world.

Use them for what you want. But I will say that the 50mm will probably be a little long for every day use on a crop sensor camera unless that's the way your creative eye sees the world.
Thanks Alastair .wasnt sure whether certain lenses lent themselves more to a certain type of photograph.

Not only portrait lens - I shoot them with it, but since it is my only lens for time being, I shoot dogs with it too. It's not same as 70-300VR, but I can get decent photos with it.

In photography you are not really limited s such - do whatever you want, however you want. As long as you are happy with result, that's all that matters.

Thanks Alastair .wasnt sure whether certain lenses lent themselves more to a certain type of photograph.
They do, but learning which is part of finding your style.

I could tell you to "Use lens X for shooting Y" but it wouldn't be a useful or helpful thing to do. Just go out, use your camera and lenses and experiment with changing the way you use them:
  • Short vs. long focal length
  • Near vs. far distance to subject
  • Near vs. far distance from the subject to the background

It can be useful to think wide-narrow field of view rather than short-long focal length.
  • Wide - choosing a wide field of view is Inclusive, it includes more in the frame (which can useful for establishing context).
  • Narrow - choosing a narrow field of view is Exclusive, it removes context from the frame.
You can then combine either of these with aperture for depth of field to increase/decrease isolation of a subject in the scene, along with the relative distance between the camera and the planes of subjects in the field of view.

Not only portrait lens - I shoot them with it, but since it is my only lens for time being, I shoot dogs with it too. It's not same as 70-300VR, but I can get decent photos with it.

In photography you are not really limited s such - do whatever you want, however you want. As long as you are happy with result, that's all that matters.

I'm struggling at the moment mate,ive come off the auto button and am finding it hard to get my head around anything!cant seem to get any decent pics......

I could tell you to "Use lens X for shooting Y" but it wouldn't be a useful or helpful thing to do. Just go out, use your camera and lenses and experiment with changing the way you use them:

It can be useful to think wide-narrow field of view rather than short-long focal length.
  • Wide - choosing a wide field of view is Inclusive, it includes more in the frame (which can useful for establishing context).
  • Narrow - choosing a narrow field of view is Exclusive, it removes context from the frame.
You can then combine either of these with aperture for depth of field to increase/decrease isolation of a subject in the scene, along with the relative distance between the camera and the planes of subjects in the field of view.

That's great,thanks for that Alastair.I'm just on a bit of a downer at the moment as nothing in doing seems to be working right.been out today twice trying the different lenses in different scenarios from portraits to landscapes to wildlife and I haven't got a single pic I like!!!:(

For starter, I would suggest reading up on modes your camera can work in.

Take aircraft for example - I'd usually shoot prop-driven birds in shutter priority at about 1/160th or slower, to avoid freezing its motion. For fast jets I'd use aperture priority and set it to about f/7.1 with 70-300VR.

For portraits I mainly use aperture priority - nice and easy control of depth of field. Just make sure that shutter speed will be adequate to avoid camera shake :D :D :D - you can see some of it in my thread that I just started :D.

And most important thing - relax and take it easy. The more p****d off you get, the lesser chance you will want to continue. Everything will come with time, ease off and have fun.

I am fairly consistent.
10-22 mm lens for exterior shots of churches in small churchyards and general shots inside churches
18-135 for individual items in the church
90 macro for details of carvings.
200-600 lens for when there are no churches around and I am photographing wildlife.

For starter, I would suggest reading up on modes your camera can work in.

Take aircraft for example - I'd usually shoot prop-driven birds in shutter priority at about 1/160th or slower, to avoid freezing its motion. For fast jets I'd use aperture priority and set it to about f/7.1 with 70-300VR.

For portraits I mainly use aperture priority - nice and easy control of depth of field. Just make sure that shutter speed will be adequate to avoid camera shake :D :D :D - you can see some of it in my thread that I just started :D.

And most important thing - relax and take it easy. The more p****d off you get, the lesser chance you will want to continue. Everything will come with time, ease off and have fun.

P****d off.......massively today with it.even said to my wife id had enough today.so decided to pack the camera away and read a bit.more of my photography for dummies book!:D
I got fed up trying capture my daughter cartwheeling any playing in the trampoline and it all being blurry!I'm not putting it back into auto though!lol.

If they come out blurry, it means your shutter speed is too low. If light is good (you can check by looking at your meter in viewfinder or on the screen), keep cranking it up slowly till you manage to freeze motion. It could be good idea to try holding camera still, just making sure your girl is in frame, or try and follow her - focus on the face and steadily track her movement. Another thing - depress shutter release button half way down, that way your camera will start focusing and if it's set to continous, it will keep focusing. Have a look in your settings, you'd use single servo for portraits, but 3d tracking for moving subject.

If you'd post a picture straight from the body on here, I'm sure you'd get some proper advice. Keep reading and keep playing with your camera, you will get there mate :).

P****d off.......massively today with it.even said to my wife id had enough today.so decided to pack the camera away and read a bit.more of my photography for dummies book!:D
I got fed up trying capture my daughter cartwheeling any playing in the trampoline and it all being blurry!I'm not putting it back into auto though!lol.
What do you mean by Auto? - the usual approach to that type of subject would be Tv mode setting a fast shutter speed. Full Manual would be hair shirt mode.

What do you mean by Auto? - the usual approach to that type of subject would be Tv mode setting a fast shutter speed. Full Manual would be hair shirt mode.

I'm determined to get away from using the auto option on the dail.I'm never going to learn if I stay on that .got to get my head around the appature and ss options!:confused:

I'm determined to get away from using the auto option on the dail.I'm never going to learn if I stay on that .got to get my head around the appature and ss options!:confused:
Then good luck. I'll leave you to your frustrations. The hair shirt option is something I prefer leave to ascetic hermit monks in remote island caves eating seaweed.

You won't learn anything by avoiding Av and Tv modes, and M will not improve either your skills or your images.

Last edited:
If they come out blurry, it means your shutter speed is too low. If light is good (you can check by looking at your meter in viewfinder or on the screen), keep cranking it up slowly till you manage to freeze motion. It could be good idea to try holding camera still, just making sure your girl is in frame, or try and follow her - focus on the face and steadily track her movement. Another thing - depress shutter release button half way down, that way your camera will start focusing and if it's set to continous, it will keep focusing. Have a look in your settings, you'd use single servo for portraits, but 3d tracking for moving subject.

If you'd post a picture straight from the body on here, I'm sure you'd get some proper advice. Keep reading and keep playing with your camera, you will get there mate :).

Thanks for all the advice major,I'm taking it all in so hopefully soon I will be posting more challenging questions!!:)

You are talking auto-exposure modes, and have fallen for the go-manual mantra.
Daftly IF there is a auto-setting o your camera most worth switching off, IMO, its more often the Auto-Focus... we managed without it for many many decades.and learned to exploit Depth of Field and aperture to get the best front to back depth of focus, ensure our subject was in the focus zone, or get shallow focus effects,, go read up.. you'll learn far more and do more to get more better or more creative shots than messing randomly with exposure settings, that only control how bright or dark the picture is, and within a stop of so either side, let you either cock-up the focus or get motion blurr.
Auto-exposure is an 'easement'; you will have probably five or more 'auto' exposure programs, for action, and portrait, landscape etc, as well as the green-box 'Pont and Shoot' mode, and THEN aperture and shutter priorty 'semi-auto' modes as well as 'program'... before full manual, make your own bad guess settings.
All the auto and semi auto modes rely on making settings for you based on the assumption your scene will reflect approx 18% of the light falling on it; and it will try and brighten any darker than average scene, or darken any brighter than average scene; knowing what you are looking at and assessig the scene by eye and judging for yourself whether its brighter or darker than average and dialing in a little compensation one way or the other will likely make far more difference than making completely alternative maual settigs, that are likely still based on centering the meter needle!
For where you suggest you are at; getting blurry photo's of your daughter's gymnastics; suggestion is you have jumped straight from green-box to full manual, and are making settigs pretty much at random.. motion blur implies the shutter speed is too low for the subject... 'sport' or 'action' auto would be far more aproriate to tell the camera more about your subject and to favour settgs that have faster shutters at the expense of wider apertures, rather than trying to guess what may be a fast enough shutter, and giving yourself more scope for foul up, specially f you dont really understand the exposure triange and the relationship between Aperture, Shutter and ISO..... let alone DoF.
Trying to capture Kwik-Kids, like that? I would likely select action mode, and probably over ride and ramp the ISO to allow faster shutter speeds, and keep the aperture reasonably tight to keep a good depth of focus around them; and I would probably go manual FOCUS to avoid the camera focus hunting or tracking lag.... I would also likely select a more moderate lens or lens length and frame 'wide' to give myself room around the subject. to be sure to get them in frame, and crop after if needs be, but also, again to try increase the Depth of Focus, to keep any movement both in focus as well as in the frame.
I have thousands of photo's of kids, my little bother's and cousins as well as my own, an awful lot taken on manual-focus film cameras; and it is a tradgedy of technology that an awful lot of cock-ups these days are actually made by it! Once upon a time you were lucky to have a interchangeable lenses, let alone 'zoom' lenses; but, now common place, and often with enormous amounts of zoom range; that incline us to zoom in right on the subject, chop out all the 'context' around them, as well as making focus ore ctical reducing the depth-of-focus, at the same time limiting the lens often to tighter apertures beggig slowr shutters...
IF there is a tip in there.. it's 'back-off'.. especially from kids! Don't try and get frame filling action.. you will likely just get more frame over-filling blurr! Stand back, grater your camera to subject distance more DoF you will get around them, wherever the lens, whatever the aperture settings; do'nt try and get close on the zoom; stay back, use more moderate angle lens; get context around the subject; give the camera a chance to meter on a wider area of scene, and better chance to make a better guess at what settings would get a better exposure, give the subject room to 'breath' and some area of tolerance around them for their movement.. and gve yourself a better chance of getting a decent capture, even if the subject isn't as prominant in the frame as you'd hope, straight out of camera... almost every digital camera I have had since 2003sh has had more pixels than ca be shown on a screen or make a print on a bit of A4 out the ink-jet, and had to be 'shrunk' to to display.. and on cameras of the last ten years enormousely so!
My current DSLR has a pixel resolution of I think 24Mpix; I have to down-size almost everything to around 1Mpix for almost all display purposes, there is an awful lot of scope to 'zoom in' on screen or crop in post process! You really don't 'need' to zoom n that tight and make life hard for yourself, at the start, very often!
Camera holding? Another tip; correct holding, bracing with the elbows, using the optical view-finder rather than the view screen on the back and holdig the camera at arms length wobbling about in the breeze; learning to 'pan' and track your subject as they move to help keep them still i the frame; these are all things that will help take better shots, partcularly kwik-kiddie shots, that are NOT to be found in the exposure settngs....
A-N-D comes back.. the automatic exposure settings are an easement... and dealing with Kwik-Kids, its an actual certifiable BONUS to have the ruddy things making thse settigs for you n fractions of a second, so you dont 'miss the action' and let you concentrate on the framing, keeping kwik kid i the frame, and paying attention to Focus and Depth of Field.
Auto Exposure is one of the things a cameras automation IS actually rather good at! Give or take a 'little' exposure comp in trickeir lightng or scenes; auto-focus is somethig they ted to be rather poor to average on, but either way, knowng what the camera s trying to do for you, and gving it as much help as possible, i where most will be found..
Simply dismissing the green-box auto, because.. well, that's the mantra, and without knowing why or whe a manual setting may be better, less still what manual settings might.. is pretty much an abomination...
Yup, plenty of reading up may be required... BUT here and now, dont stop takng photo's because you REFUSE to us 'auto'.. use the damn thing! IF you want to be a bit more proficient, pic an icon auto mode like sport or portrait that better seems to suit the subject; but DONT just arbiterly dismiss the green-box, 'because'.
Crickey.. if Manual Exposure s SO great, why the heck did I bother investing however many umpety thousand quid in a fancy all singing, all dancing, auto-every ruddy thing electrc-picture-maker.. when I could have just picked up my old ALL manual, clock-work Zenith film camera,that is so obviously 'better' by not having an 'auto' setting... used the cash to buy loads of film, and NOT had to worry about batteries going flat?
There s NO SHAME is using Auto; there is a heck of a lot of expert programming gone into even the cheapest electronic cameras of today to make setting choices for you, and the camera probably has a far better idea of what's better or not than you do right now.. and it Is one of the things it is actually pretty good at... but IT doesn't know what its looking at.. it doesn't know what you wat in the frame.. THAT is the bt oly you know about, and can be any darn good at.. so do the stuff YOU do best, let the camera do the stuff it can do best, and learn to get the best fro the camera by working with the camera helping it out where you can, picking a more appropriate auto-mode, rather than just rejecting them all, and maybe dialing in a little exposure comp if helpful..
Oh, and yes, the "Go Manual you MUST" mantra irks me!
Lets just throw however many thousand hours of very carefully consdered expert programming down the drain, and make every camera as user unfriendly as a 1950's Russian brick, that takes film... and then start worrying about focus accuracy and focus speeds ad red-dot schemes!?!?! Crazy!
GO TAKE PHOTO'S
Use what works for you! If that's green box P&S so what? Its the results that matter at the end of the day! And you wont get ANY refusing to use the camera, or spending all day reading the book or faffing with buttons and menu's! You'll get them by looking through the ruddy thing, pointing it at something photo-worthy, and pressing the button!
Stuff the Settings... go make pictures!

This
And boiled down
The choice of lens is determined by the field of view and perspective you want. Play around with that, do the "same shots" with different focallenghts and note how they differ.
You might want to show a huge mountain behind a lodge in the alps? Perhaps best done with a telelens. An invironmetal portrait of a carpenter or a street artist? Might grap a wideangle. Closups of fungie? A macrolens or an ultrawide up really close?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen this first thing. What do you want to take pictures of. The 18-55 is good for close up and maybe landscape the 50 I would use for portrait work and the long lens maybe wildlife. But go back what do you want to take pictures of

Just seen this first thing. What do you want to take pictures of. The 18-55 is good for close up and maybe landscape the 50 I would use for portrait work and the long lens maybe wildlife. But go back what do you want to take pictures of

Hi there,thanks for the reply.im still trying to find what i actually like.it varies at the moment from my children and dogs,to roaming the local fields for wildlife!.but living in the Cotswolds I've got some stunning buildings local too.so at the moment in switching and practising between the lenses I have.

Deleted due to bad IQ on attached files

Last edited by a moderator:
Then good luck. I'll leave you to your frustrations. The hair shirt option is something I prefer leave to ascetic hermit monks in remote island caves eating seaweed.

You won't learn anything by avoiding Av and Tv modes, and M will not improve either your skills or your images.

Exactly. I met an enthusiastic amateur a while back. He was struggling hard to get his full manual settings right. Most of his shots were rubbish due to bad settings, plus it took him so long he was missing lots of shots. I tried to suggest that so long as his camera in auto was doing better then he could, then he should be using it as an example and a tutor. He explained that his teacher, who was so experienced he could guess exposures correctly first time without ever needing an exposure meter, had told him that all he needed was more practice. Turned out he'd been practicing for three years, and was quite certain that his failure to learn was simply that he hadn't been practicing enough. Also turned out that he hadn't ever read through the camera manual, didn't even know where it was now. His teacher had told him only dummies needed to read the manual. Poor man. I hope he's either given up photography or realised that his revered teacher has feet of clay. :-(

You are talking auto-exposure modes, and have fallen for the go-manual mantra.
Daftly IF there is a auto-setting o your camera most worth switching off, IMO, its more often the Auto-Focus... we managed without it for many many decades.and learned to exploit Depth of Field and aperture to get the best front to back depth of focus, ensure our subject was in the focus zone, or get shallow focus effects,, go read up.. you'll learn far more and do more to get more better or more creative shots than messing randomly with exposure settings, that only control how bright or dark the picture is, and within a stop of so either side, let you either cock-up the focus or get motion blurr.
Auto-exposure is an 'easement'; you will have probably five or more 'auto' exposure programs, for action, and portrait, landscape etc, as well as the green-box 'Pont and Shoot' mode, and THEN aperture and shutter priorty 'semi-auto' modes as well as 'program'... before full manual, make your own bad guess settings.
All the auto and semi auto modes rely on making settings for you based on the assumption your scene will reflect approx 18% of the light falling on it; and it will try and brighten any darker than average scene, or darken any brighter than average scene; knowing what you are looking at and assessig the scene by eye and judging for yourself whether its brighter or darker than average and dialing in a little compensation one way or the other will likely make far more difference than making completely alternative maual settigs, that are likely still based on centering the meter needle!
For where you suggest you are at; getting blurry photo's of your daughter's gymnastics; suggestion is you have jumped straight from green-box to full manual, and are making settigs pretty much at random.. motion blur implies the shutter speed is too low for the subject... 'sport' or 'action' auto would be far more aproriate to tell the camera more about your subject and to favour settgs that have faster shutters at the expense of wider apertures, rather than trying to guess what may be a fast enough shutter, and giving yourself more scope for foul up, specially f you dont really understand the exposure triange and the relationship between Aperture, Shutter and ISO..... let alone DoF.
Trying to capture Kwik-Kids, like that? I would likely select action mode, and probably over ride and ramp the ISO to allow faster shutter speeds, and keep the aperture reasonably tight to keep a good depth of focus around them; and I would probably go manual FOCUS to avoid the camera focus hunting or tracking lag.... I would also likely select a more moderate lens or lens length and frame 'wide' to give myself room around the subject. to be sure to get them in frame, and crop after if needs be, but also, again to try increase the Depth of Focus, to keep any movement both in focus as well as in the frame.
I have thousands of photo's of kids, my little bother's and cousins as well as my own, an awful lot taken on manual-focus film cameras; and it is a tradgedy of technology that an awful lot of cock-ups these days are actually made by it! Once upon a time you were lucky to have a interchangeable lenses, let alone 'zoom' lenses; but, now common place, and often with enormous amounts of zoom range; that incline us to zoom in right on the subject, chop out all the 'context' around them, as well as making focus ore ctical reducing the depth-of-focus, at the same time limiting the lens often to tighter apertures beggig slowr shutters...
IF there is a tip in there.. it's 'back-off'.. especially from kids! Don't try and get frame filling action.. you will likely just get more frame over-filling blurr! Stand back, grater your camera to subject distance more DoF you will get around them, wherever the lens, whatever the aperture settings; do'nt try and get close on the zoom; stay back, use more moderate angle lens; get context around the subject; give the camera a chance to meter on a wider area of scene, and better chance to make a better guess at what settings would get a better exposure, give the subject room to 'breath' and some area of tolerance around them for their movement.. and gve yourself a better chance of getting a decent capture, even if the subject isn't as prominant in the frame as you'd hope, straight out of camera... almost every digital camera I have had since 2003sh has had more pixels than ca be shown on a screen or make a print on a bit of A4 out the ink-jet, and had to be 'shrunk' to to display.. and on cameras of the last ten years enormousely so!
My current DSLR has a pixel resolution of I think 24Mpix; I have to down-size almost everything to around 1Mpix for almost all display purposes, there is an awful lot of scope to 'zoom in' on screen or crop in post process! You really don't 'need' to zoom n that tight and make life hard for yourself, at the start, very often!
Camera holding? Another tip; correct holding, bracing with the elbows, using the optical view-finder rather than the view screen on the back and holdig the camera at arms length wobbling about in the breeze; learning to 'pan' and track your subject as they move to help keep them still i the frame; these are all things that will help take better shots, partcularly kwik-kiddie shots, that are NOT to be found in the exposure settngs....
A-N-D comes back.. the automatic exposure settings are an easement... and dealing with Kwik-Kids, its an actual certifiable BONUS to have the ruddy things making thse settigs for you n fractions of a second, so you dont 'miss the action' and let you concentrate on the framing, keeping kwik kid i the frame, and paying attention to Focus and Depth of Field.
Auto Exposure is one of the things a cameras automation IS actually rather good at! Give or take a 'little' exposure comp in trickeir lightng or scenes; auto-focus is somethig they ted to be rather poor to average on, but either way, knowng what the camera s trying to do for you, and gving it as much help as possible, i where most will be found..
Simply dismissing the green-box auto, because.. well, that's the mantra, and without knowing why or whe a manual setting may be better, less still what manual settings might.. is pretty much an abomination...
Yup, plenty of reading up may be required... BUT here and now, dont stop takng photo's because you REFUSE to us 'auto'.. use the damn thing! IF you want to be a bit more proficient, pic an icon auto mode like sport or portrait that better seems to suit the subject; but DONT just arbiterly dismiss the green-box, 'because'.
Crickey.. if Manual Exposure s SO great, why the heck did I bother investing however many umpety thousand quid in a fancy all singing, all dancing, auto-every ruddy thing electrc-picture-maker.. when I could have just picked up my old ALL manual, clock-work Zenith film camera,that is so obviously 'better' by not having an 'auto' setting... used the cash to buy loads of film, and NOT had to worry about batteries going flat?
There s NO SHAME is using Auto; there is a heck of a lot of expert programming gone into even the cheapest electronic cameras of today to make setting choices for you, and the camera probably has a far better idea of what's better or not than you do right now.. and it Is one of the things it is actually pretty good at... but IT doesn't know what its looking at.. it doesn't know what you wat in the frame.. THAT is the bt oly you know about, and can be any darn good at.. so do the stuff YOU do best, let the camera do the stuff it can do best, and learn to get the best fro the camera by working with the camera helping it out where you can, picking a more appropriate auto-mode, rather than just rejecting them all, and maybe dialing in a little exposure comp if helpful..
Oh, and yes, the "Go Manual you MUST" mantra irks me!
Lets just throw however many thousand hours of very carefully consdered expert programming down the drain, and make every camera as user unfriendly as a 1950's Russian brick, that takes film... and then start worrying about focus accuracy and focus speeds ad red-dot schemes!?!?! Crazy!
GO TAKE PHOTO'S
Use what works for you! If that's green box P&S so what? Its the results that matter at the end of the day! And you wont get ANY refusing to use the camera, or spending all day reading the book or faffing with buttons and menu's! You'll get them by looking through the ruddy thing, pointing it at something photo-worthy, and pressing the button!
Stuff the Settings... go make pictures!

Thanks for that great reply Mike.when I say I don't want to use the "auto" option all the time I didn't mean the semi auto modes like the portraite/landscape/sports and the like.I was just being lazy and using the fully auto option and figured I need to learn what the other option do so I can fully understand my camera.
Your post makes lots of sense,thanks for that.

The focal length changes the viewing field of the lens.
A perfect zoom lens covering everything from a degree or two to 180 degrees would satisfy every need.
But that is impossible.
The focal length and field of view, is therefor divided up into various zoom ranges that between them cover every possibility.
The actual lenses that you choose will depend on your interests. And very few of us have interests that need or cover the whole range.

Single focal length lenses involve fewer compromises in their construction, and are often available in higher qualities and wider apertures than zoom lenses.
However the best zooms are so good that few people can tell the difference at normal image sizes.
What people do notice is the relative size and weight of single focus lenses compared to zooms.
They also notice the comparative wider apertures and light gathering power of single focus lenses.

Almost every one makes compromised to end up with the choice of lenses that they purchase.
It is best to start with a basic normal range zoom, as you have done, and only purchase other lenses when you find that you can not do what you need to do with your existing ones.
that way at least you should minimise your Mistaken purchases, and end up with a workman like kit.

Last edited:
As a number of people have intimated, it really does come down to what you are shooting, and how you want to shoot it. For instance, I tend to use my Fuji 10-24 as a walkabout lens, but when I'm out shooting wildlife, with my 100-400 on my X-T2, my X-T1 generally has my 60mm Macro sitting on it, just in case I notice something worthwhile while moving around.

Different people use different lenses for different jobs, it's all down to what you want to recreate...

Thanks for that great reply Mike.when I say I don't want to use the "auto" option all the time I didn't mean the semi auto modes like the portraite/landscape/sports and the like.I was just being lazy and using the fully auto option and figured I need to learn what the other option do so I can fully understand my camera.
Your post makes lots of sense,thanks for that.
OK, for 'clarity';
a3f67e5800ece9d3a97ae607f65b90f3.jpg

The 'green box' auto, is the 'default' full auto, point and shoot exposure program. The icon modes anti-clockwse of that are ALSO all FULLY automatic exposure programs; but tailored to better suit different subjects as denoted by the icon. frist circle with a lighting strike in it, disables the flash; so promts the program to select higher ISO's and wider apertures and slower shutter speeds, rather than add light. Woman in the hat, is 'portrait'; it's program will favor less aperture for a shallower DoF around that subject, and probably a brighter exposure assessement based oskn tones and likely face shaddow. Mountains in the box; is 'landscape'. That program will likely favour tighter apertures, in order to maximise front-toback DoF in the scene and get near and far scenary all n sharp focus, whilst it will likely let shutter speeds drop, as mountains dont ted to move very far or fast so unlikely to crate motion blur. Next is the kid in a hat, or full length portrait; Here the program will likely favour a little less aperture to keep more of the subject in the DoF zone; running man next is 'sport', so program assumes stuff will likely be moving a bit fast, so favour faster shutter speeds in order to avoid subject blur; the tulip is 'macro', for very close focus subjects, agan it will lkely tweek the exposure to account for likely lghting anomoles over such small area of scene, and probably favour smaller apertures to get a decent DoF at such close rage where they can otherwse be razor blade thin. Next box s 'night-time' which again props a shft in the program to not try ad compensate exposure so much, trying to make a predominantly 'dark' scene brighter than it is, assuming 18% grey 'average'.... THAT is 'sort' f how they work. They are ALL fully automatic exposure programs; you do NOT make individual exposure settings. Camera chooses settings from exposure metering, entirely to 'program'; all the icons do is give the camera a better clue which settings may be more suitable for a situation, as YOU look at it.
A is aperture priory; 'semi-auto'. You set the apertre you think best, camera sets the shutter speed to balence the meter needle against it. S is shutter priority, same deal other way about; you set the shutter speed you want, camera selects the aperture to balence the meter needle. 'M' is full manual; you set both shutter and aperture; all the camera does s give you a bar display the view-finder to tell you whether those settigs youchose are likely to resutt n over or under exposure, compared to the cameras meter readig and assumption of 18% average reflected light. 'P' is a mongrel.It's an fully auto-mode, but one where in the menu's you set thresholds to tell it when to stop dropping shutter speed or upping the ISO to balence the needle, before you start
So there s only ONE 'manual' mode; and that s the 'M' settngs. A&S are semi-atuo, P s a user programmemed fully auto; all the others are fully-auto, to pre-deturmined 'program'. Icon settngs being situation dependent, allowing yo to gve the camera better clue which program would be better; green-box is the default, best guess fully auto mode... got that?.
There is only ONe 'manual' mode, and that's 'M'. Everything else is auto.

Hi there,thanks for the reply.im still trying to find what i actually like.it varies at the moment from my children and dogs,to roaming the local fields for wildlife!.but living in the Cotswolds I've got some stunning buildings local too.so at the moment in switching and practising between the lenses I have.

You have an 18-55 'kit' zoom... Here and now that is likely the ONLY lens you need experiment with. It's actually a great lens for the money.. ie less than free when they give it away in 'kits' often cheaper than the camera body only! In the last five years, since grudgingly went Digtal SLR, and tried building p a kit with the same sort of range of versatility as my film cameras, THAT is actually my most used, first go to lens; there's more quids worth of 'other' lenses n the bag than camera! And seriously, look in the bag, ad am embarrassed have spent SO much money o other lenses to hardly get used, and yet STILL have that lowly 18-55 on the front most of the time... it is a great lens, and for what you suggest you are doing 'brilliant'.

The 70-300; you don't say which one it is, the much vaunted Sigma, perhaps? As a GP telephoto, it is a very well regarded lens; if the Siggy, it's actually a 'budget' full frame lens, so a lot of the applause it gets for use on APS-C sensor cameras comes from the crop factor stretching its effective focal length, and only making a picture fro its 'sweet-spot' in the center of the mage circle. But.. such techno-nerdery probably isn't all that pertinent to you here and now.

MY STORY; To get some useful added reach, I bought the Nikon 55-300 'kit' tele wth my DSLR.. it's not a fantastic lens, but it is useful, and on a crop sensor body, with the 'tele-magnifying' effect of the crop factor, that 'gap' between where the 18-55 runs out and the 70-300 starts is that bit more critical, AND I find I more often am using the longer lens, down in that 'gap' region and the shorter focal lengths of it's zoom range.. in rationalizing the glass-I-got, acquiring a fish-eye was first indulgence, after having one for my film cameras; little used, but if hadn't got one, early on, I figured I would forever be putting off ad putting off! Next came a UWA 8-16, as I had always favored the wider lenses on my film cameras, and that gt e down and beyond the range I had for film. That 'sorted'.. I look at the 18-55 ad as said feel embarrassed its the cheapest lens have yet the most oft used... and ponder what would make a good 'upgrade'... so far it has dodged three Christmas present lists... and still remains!!!

I days of yore, on manual focus fl cameras, 50mm was the 'standard' normal angle lens.... most compacts had a fixed 35mm lens, which was probably the more useful all round general purpose lens on a 'full-frame'. The 50mm was what came with SLR's, and a lot of academic exercises were written around, and was often the ONLY lens many folk ever had. When zoom lenses started to become popular, the pretty meagre range of a 2x zoom 35-70, was the favoured 'stadard' lese offering justthat bit more wide and that bit more tele ether side of standard.

Translating to Digital, with smaller APS-C sized sensors; the 'normal' angle of veiw a 50mm provided on film s actually about 35mm give or take, ad the 18-55 'kit' lens has an effective zoom rage, of 27-82mm on a film camera; it is a VERY useful zoom range, with even that bit extra ether side, of a less common 28-80 'standard-zoom' for a film camera. With that sort of range of 'framing', it is no wonder it s my most used lens, and it really does cover that 'most used' range of framing angles

Little aside about the 50mm prime; as mentioned these were often the 'kit' ens that came with old film SLR's. They were often very good lenses, and commonly had particularly 'fast' widest apertures.But, they were often rapidly side-lined n favour of alternate lenses, as folk built their kit, ad aquird a greater range of primes or a zoom or two. Personally, in my ow 'film' career, I had a fatastic 50mm Zoiko f1.4 for my Olympus SLR's as well as a couple of the lesser f1.8 examples.. ALL of which were effectively given away 'in the day' as they just weren't used. I still have the rather lovely Ziess 50 for my M42 fit film camera, but even that was and remains little used, and for walk-about, the Pentacon 28mm 'wide angle' far more often found on its mount. On the Olympus's a 35-70 or 28-80 were the most used lens, covering the range of three primes. HOWEVER; as Digital Cameras came in, often able to mount older film era lenses,those 'old' 50mm primes became re-popularised as Digital-Era folk discovered 'primes' ad read 'old' film era tutorials that were written around film era 'standard' 50mm lenses.. BUT the 'crop factor' that shifted a 50mm lens from a 'normal' angle of view to that of a 'tele' in the 75mm range, was either over-looked, ignored or accepted.. but that 'vogue' to start using 'old' prime lenses from film cameras has re-popularized the prime, and lead Nikon to actually offer thier 'budget' AF-35mm for digital, that does have that 'normal' angle of view on an APS-C camera as a 50 had on film, with a rather 'fast' f1.8 maximum aperture.

Oh-Kay.. when daughter started chucking water-filled balloons about in close proximity to my rather expensive electric picture maker, for her GCSE photo course; I bought her a second hand D3100 and a 35mm prime, if only to save my camera getting drowned! the 35mm prime, on an APS-C digital, is a close equivalent to an old film camera with a 50, and was great for her school photo' stuff, followng the accademic excersises set, with a lot of legacy of the film era and a film camera and 50 combo. I later got her the 50mm prime, when she started doing more studio portrature; as it des sort of equate to the perspectve flatterg framing of short tele's for flm; BUT for a lot of stuff, on digtal, 50mm IS a bit neither nor. Its not a standard angle lens, nor is it particularly tele-photo, and it is a bit 'suck' up at the tele end of the kit 18-55 and only offers the fast aperture for shallow focus effects in compensation for it. For where you are at, great a lens as it may be, I thik that ne is likely a distraction to doing very much. If you want to start playng primes; the 35mm would be the more useful, I suspect, but either way; for where you are at, they are something likely to hider rather than help you at the moment.

The 70-300 tele; probably a very good lens; and if you were birding or trying to get close up 'action' of out-door sports, would be very good; though, for a lot of things say school sorts-day, that gap between 55 & 70, could likely be the bit you miss, and the bit from, maybe 180 to 300, not dong a lot for you, bar encouraging you to use too much zoom, cut out context, and generally make life hard for yourself, making focus that much more critical....

On film; my 'long' tele was (and still IS actually!) a rather nice Vivitar Series 1, 70-210. That has the equiv angle of view of 43mm-140mm on a crop-sensor digital camera. I did/do have longer, but believe me, for school sports day, snapping my sons socker matches; catchng shots of my daughter's ice skating, etc etc etce, THAT was my go-to glass, and had more than enough 'reach' to get in on the action and fill the frame with subject. That DOES actually beg suggestion that a modern 18-140 'super-zoom' IS probably a damn useful all round general purpose 'do-it-all' lens, and IF were to upgrade the 18-55 kit, one of the would like as not be a good bet, and not just mae the 18-55 redndant, but the 550-300 too, for all that 'extra' zoom gets used!

But, lakng that first half of the zoom range at the wide-end, that does sort of suggest that you probably DONT need to reach for the 70-300 very often, if at all, AND if you are on the learnig curve, I WOULD strngly reccomend that you leave it o the shelf or the bag; and conentrate on making the most of the 18-55 'standard' lens, for ow. and concetratng on getting the picture; avoiding moton blur, controllng DoF, and basics of thngs like camera holding, panning, tracking and all teh other stiff that is outside the camera and doesn't beg twiddling buttons or knobs!

Again; learning i the film era, we didn't have them! We had a shutter release and a film advance, and a focus ring to worry about! THAT was enough!.Making better pictures was to be found looking THROUGH the camera not at t!

In conclusion then:Of what you have; the 18-55 kt lens is probably the most useful, usable and versatile lens you have, and likely far more than you really 'need' for most of what you are dong, and more. And I would recommend you put t on the camera, and leave it there as a first course choice, and NOT look for reasons to try the others you have, but, WHEN you start running up against the buffers of what you can do with the 18-55, by zooming with your feet, getting close by getting close or getting it all in by backing off; looking for better angles moving around your scene, looking for alternate angles, crouching down, or getting up high, etc etc etc rather than trying to make the shot with the zoom ring from wherever you happen to be stood; Then you might ponder swapping lenses.

For NOW, in a welter of confoundmet over exposure settings and alternate lenses and what lenses to use for dfferent subjects? KISS me! Keep-It-Simple-Stupid! Eliminate the variables. Stick to the ONE lens, the 18-55. It is still far more than we ever had starting out with film cameras! And it covers that most used, most useful range from wide angle to mild tele-photo either side of 'normal', And you could likely get better results eliminating even that complication; sticking to say 30 or 30mm or 35mm wide angle, and trying to use it like a prime!! NOT touching the zoom-ring, and worrying about framing with your feet; gettig up close, moving back, gettng high, getting low, ad concetrating on compesition... as said, Sod the settings, worry about getting good photo's! Camera knows sod all about what its pointing at, only YOU know that; concentrate on that bit only you can do, and let the camera do the stuff it probably does better, right now.

Back to the exposure settng dial? That green box.. hated by many, is bludy useful! IF you cant decide which alternate icon, gives the camera a little better idea what exposure settings may or may not be more or less apt for the subject YOU are looking at; USE the ruddy green box! That is what it is there for!

Stop looking at the camera and all the gadgets in the bag and making things more complicated than they need. Keep it simple; expect failure, and dont blame the camera for your mistakes. Don't look to the hardware to solve your problems; look to learn, but most important, practice, practice practice! And remember, great photo's happen OUTSIDE the camera, not in it! Look THOUGH, not AT it!

OK, for 'clarity';
a3f67e5800ece9d3a97ae607f65b90f3.jpg

The 'green box' auto, is the 'default' full auto, point and shoot exposure program. The icon modes anti-clockwse of that are ALSO all FULLY automatic exposure programs; but tailored to better suit different subjects as denoted by the icon. frist circle with a lighting strike in it, disables the flash; so promts the program to select higher ISO's and wider apertures and slower shutter speeds, rather than add light. Woman in the hat, is 'portrait'; it's program will favor less aperture for a shallower DoF around that subject, and probably a brighter exposure assessement based oskn tones and likely face shaddow. Mountains in the box; is 'landscape'. That program will likely favour tighter apertures, in order to maximise front-toback DoF in the scene and get near and far scenary all n sharp focus, whilst it will likely let shutter speeds drop, as mountains dont ted to move very far or fast so unlikely to crate motion blur. Next is the kid in a hat, or full length portrait; Here the program will likely favour a little less aperture to keep more of the subject in the DoF zone; running man next is 'sport', so program assumes stuff will likely be moving a bit fast, so favour faster shutter speeds in order to avoid subject blur; the tulip is 'macro', for very close focus subjects, agan it will lkely tweek the exposure to account for likely lghting anomoles over such small area of scene, and probably favour smaller apertures to get a decent DoF at such close rage where they can otherwse be razor blade thin. Next box s 'night-time' which again props a shft in the program to not try ad compensate exposure so much, trying to make a predominantly 'dark' scene brighter than it is, assuming 18% grey 'average'.... THAT is 'sort' f how they work. They are ALL fully automatic exposure programs; you do NOT make individual exposure settings. Camera chooses settings from exposure metering, entirely to 'program'; all the icons do is give the camera a better clue which settings may be more suitable for a situation, as YOU look at it.
A is aperture priory; 'semi-auto'. You set the apertre you think best, camera sets the shutter speed to balence the meter needle against it. S is shutter priority, same deal other way about; you set the shutter speed you want, camera selects the aperture to balence the meter needle. 'M' is full manual; you set both shutter and aperture; all the camera does s give you a bar display the view-finder to tell you whether those settigs youchose are likely to resutt n over or under exposure, compared to the cameras meter readig and assumption of 18% average reflected light. 'P' is a mongrel.It's an fully auto-mode, but one where in the menu's you set thresholds to tell it when to stop dropping shutter speed or upping the ISO to balence the needle, before you start
So there s only ONE 'manual' mode; and that s the 'M' settngs. A&S are semi-atuo, P s a user programmemed fully auto; all the others are fully-auto, to pre-deturmined 'program'. Icon settngs being situation dependent, allowing yo to gve the camera better clue which program would be better; green-box is the default, best guess fully auto mode... got that?.
There is only ONe 'manual' mode, and that's 'M'. Everything else is auto.

You have an 18-55 'kit' zoom... Here and now that is likely the ONLY lens you need experiment with. It's actually a great lens for the money.. ie less than free when they give it away in 'kits' often cheaper than the camera body only! In the last five years, since grudgingly went Digtal SLR, and tried building p a kit with the same sort of range of versatility as my film cameras, THAT is actually my most used, first go to lens; there's more quids worth of 'other' lenses n the bag than camera! And seriously, look in the bag, ad am embarrassed have spent SO much money o other lenses to hardly get used, and yet STILL have that lowly 18-55 on the front most of the time... it is a great lens, and for what you suggest you are doing 'brilliant'.

The 70-300; you don't say which one it is, the much vaunted Sigma, perhaps? As a GP telephoto, it is a very well regarded lens; if the Siggy, it's actually a 'budget' full frame lens, so a lot of the applause it gets for use on APS-C sensor cameras comes from the crop factor stretching its effective focal length, and only making a picture fro its 'sweet-spot' in the center of the mage circle. But.. such techno-nerdery probably isn't all that pertinent to you here and now.

MY STORY; To get some useful added reach, I bought the Nikon 55-300 'kit' tele wth my DSLR.. it's not a fantastic lens, but it is useful, and on a crop sensor body, with the 'tele-magnifying' effect of the crop factor, that 'gap' between where the 18-55 runs out and the 70-300 starts is that bit more critical, AND I find I more often am using the longer lens, down in that 'gap' region and the shorter focal lengths of it's zoom range.. in rationalizing the glass-I-got, acquiring a fish-eye was first indulgence, after having one for my film cameras; little used, but if hadn't got one, early on, I figured I would forever be putting off ad putting off! Next came a UWA 8-16, as I had always favored the wider lenses on my film cameras, and that gt e down and beyond the range I had for film. That 'sorted'.. I look at the 18-55 ad as said feel embarrassed its the cheapest lens have yet the most oft used... and ponder what would make a good 'upgrade'... so far it has dodged three Christmas present lists... and still remains!!!

I days of yore, on manual focus fl cameras, 50mm was the 'standard' normal angle lens.... most compacts had a fixed 35mm lens, which was probably the more useful all round general purpose lens on a 'full-frame'. The 50mm was what came with SLR's, and a lot of academic exercises were written around, and was often the ONLY lens many folk ever had. When zoom lenses started to become popular, the pretty meagre range of a 2x zoom 35-70, was the favoured 'stadard' lese offering justthat bit more wide and that bit more tele ether side of standard.

Translating to Digital, with smaller APS-C sized sensors; the 'normal' angle of veiw a 50mm provided on film s actually about 35mm give or take, ad the 18-55 'kit' lens has an effective zoom rage, of 27-82mm on a film camera; it is a VERY useful zoom range, with even that bit extra ether side, of a less common 28-80 'standard-zoom' for a film camera. With that sort of range of 'framing', it is no wonder it s my most used lens, and it really does cover that 'most used' range of framing angles

Little aside about the 50mm prime; as mentioned these were often the 'kit' ens that came with old film SLR's. They were often very good lenses, and commonly had particularly 'fast' widest apertures.But, they were often rapidly side-lined n favour of alternate lenses, as folk built their kit, ad aquird a greater range of primes or a zoom or two. Personally, in my ow 'film' career, I had a fatastic 50mm Zoiko f1.4 for my Olympus SLR's as well as a couple of the lesser f1.8 examples.. ALL of which were effectively given away 'in the day' as they just weren't used. I still have the rather lovely Ziess 50 for my M42 fit film camera, but even that was and remains little used, and for walk-about, the Pentacon 28mm 'wide angle' far more often found on its mount. On the Olympus's a 35-70 or 28-80 were the most used lens, covering the range of three primes. HOWEVER; as Digital Cameras came in, often able to mount older film era lenses,those 'old' 50mm primes became re-popularised as Digital-Era folk discovered 'primes' ad read 'old' film era tutorials that were written around film era 'standard' 50mm lenses.. BUT the 'crop factor' that shifted a 50mm lens from a 'normal' angle of view to that of a 'tele' in the 75mm range, was either over-looked, ignored or accepted.. but that 'vogue' to start using 'old' prime lenses from film cameras has re-popularized the prime, and lead Nikon to actually offer thier 'budget' AF-35mm for digital, that does have that 'normal' angle of view on an APS-C camera as a 50 had on film, with a rather 'fast' f1.8 maximum aperture.

Oh-Kay.. when daughter started chucking water-filled balloons about in close proximity to my rather expensive electric picture maker, for her GCSE photo course; I bought her a second hand D3100 and a 35mm prime, if only to save my camera getting drowned! the 35mm prime, on an APS-C digital, is a close equivalent to an old film camera with a 50, and was great for her school photo' stuff, followng the accademic excersises set, with a lot of legacy of the film era and a film camera and 50 combo. I later got her the 50mm prime, when she started doing more studio portrature; as it des sort of equate to the perspectve flatterg framing of short tele's for flm; BUT for a lot of stuff, on digtal, 50mm IS a bit neither nor. Its not a standard angle lens, nor is it particularly tele-photo, and it is a bit 'suck' up at the tele end of the kit 18-55 and only offers the fast aperture for shallow focus effects in compensation for it. For where you are at, great a lens as it may be, I thik that ne is likely a distraction to doing very much. If you want to start playng primes; the 35mm would be the more useful, I suspect, but either way; for where you are at, they are something likely to hider rather than help you at the moment.

The 70-300 tele; probably a very good lens; and if you were birding or trying to get close up 'action' of out-door sports, would be very good; though, for a lot of things say school sorts-day, that gap between 55 & 70, could likely be the bit you miss, and the bit from, maybe 180 to 300, not dong a lot for you, bar encouraging you to use too much zoom, cut out context, and generally make life hard for yourself, making focus that much more critical....

On film; my 'long' tele was (and still IS actually!) a rather nice Vivitar Series 1, 70-210. That has the equiv angle of view of 43mm-140mm on a crop-sensor digital camera. I did/do have longer, but believe me, for school sports day, snapping my sons socker matches; catchng shots of my daughter's ice skating, etc etc etce, THAT was my go-to glass, and had more than enough 'reach' to get in on the action and fill the frame with subject. That DOES actually beg suggestion that a modern 18-140 'super-zoom' IS probably a damn useful all round general purpose 'do-it-all' lens, and IF were to upgrade the 18-55 kit, one of the would like as not be a good bet, and not just mae the 18-55 redndant, but the 550-300 too, for all that 'extra' zoom gets used!

But, lakng that first half of the zoom range at the wide-end, that does sort of suggest that you probably DONT need to reach for the 70-300 very often, if at all, AND if you are on the learnig curve, I WOULD strngly reccomend that you leave it o the shelf or the bag; and conentrate on making the most of the 18-55 'standard' lens, for ow. and concetratng on getting the picture; avoiding moton blur, controllng DoF, and basics of thngs like camera holding, panning, tracking and all teh other stiff that is outside the camera and doesn't beg twiddling buttons or knobs!

Again; learning i the film era, we didn't have them! We had a shutter release and a film advance, and a focus ring to worry about! THAT was enough!.Making better pictures was to be found looking THROUGH the camera not at t!

In conclusion then:Of what you have; the 18-55 kt lens is probably the most useful, usable and versatile lens you have, and likely far more than you really 'need' for most of what you are dong, and more. And I would recommend you put t on the camera, and leave it there as a first course choice, and NOT look for reasons to try the others you have, but, WHEN you start running up against the buffers of what you can do with the 18-55, by zooming with your feet, getting close by getting close or getting it all in by backing off; looking for better angles moving around your scene, looking for alternate angles, crouching down, or getting up high, etc etc etc rather than trying to make the shot with the zoom ring from wherever you happen to be stood; Then you might ponder swapping lenses.

For NOW, in a welter of confoundmet over exposure settings and alternate lenses and what lenses to use for dfferent subjects? KISS me! Keep-It-Simple-Stupid! Eliminate the variables. Stick to the ONE lens, the 18-55. It is still far more than we ever had starting out with film cameras! And it covers that most used, most useful range from wide angle to mild tele-photo either side of 'normal', And you could likely get better results eliminating even that complication; sticking to say 30 or 30mm or 35mm wide angle, and trying to use it like a prime!! NOT touching the zoom-ring, and worrying about framing with your feet; gettig up close, moving back, gettng high, getting low, ad concetrating on compesition... as said, Sod the settings, worry about getting good photo's! Camera knows sod all about what its pointing at, only YOU know that; concentrate on that bit only you can do, and let the camera do the stuff it probably does better, right now.

Back to the exposure settng dial? That green box.. hated by many, is bludy useful! IF you cant decide which alternate icon, gives the camera a little better idea what exposure settings may or may not be more or less apt for the subject YOU are looking at; USE the ruddy green box! That is what it is there for!

Stop looking at the camera and all the gadgets in the bag and making things more complicated than they need. Keep it simple; expect failure, and dont blame the camera for your mistakes. Don't look to the hardware to solve your problems; look to learn, but most important, practice, practice practice! And remember, great photo's happen OUTSIDE the camera, not in it! Look THOUGH, not AT it!
Thanks Mike,I have the Nikon vr 70-300mm. Thanks for the reply.

Hello Mate,

From wide lenses range available, here are the individual range that are used for particular purpose. 24-35 is normally used for landscapes, 35-85 is used for general purposes, 85-135 is for portraits and more than that is for close shots or actions

Morning all!.is there any information out there regarding which lens are suitable for what photography? Info for a complete newbie so to speak.
For instance I have for my Nikon,the kit lens 18-55mm, a 50mm and a 70-300mm.
What would you say the best uses for these lenses are?.any info in the simplest of explanations would by great :oops: :$:)

I think.. and please don't take offence.. that you, like many other photography enthusiasts, are starting from the wrong end. Don't ask what to photograph with what gear. Instead, photograph what you are interested in, whatever gives you a buzz. And photograph it with whatever kit you've got. You'll soon start to develop a feeling for what works within your style, and what the limitations of that kit are.

fwiw I shoot portraits at everything from 17mm to 200mm and incidental stuff with whatever lens I happen to have on at the time. When I'm out and about at family events I don't take a millions lenses, I just choose one and work within its limits. Ok, so I might miss a few shots. Big deal, no one cares except me.

I'm struggling at the moment mate,ive come off the auto button and am finding it hard to get my head around anything!cant seem to get any decent pics......

Post some stuff in the critique forums here. You'll get a lot of useful advice (as well as some completely random stuff!!!)

As a VERY rough guide, for your camera (guessing at a Dx crop body due to the 18-55 kit lens listed) 35mm or so is the "standard" focal length which offers an angle of view and perspective close to what your eyes see. Anything significantly shorter (say 24-28mm or less) can be considered a wide angle and anything significantly longer can be seen as a telephoto.

Back