What New Gear Have You Purchased This Week?

Placed an order today for:

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Canon 50mm /1.4
Lightroom 5

Holy moly
Just thought I might try Amazon and see how much their Lightroom 5 is. Its £32.01 cheaper than Wex Photographic!!! Just cancelled the item and bought it from Amazon.

Sigma DP3 Merrill,lens hood,manfrotto pixi mini tripod and some sparkling wine to appease the mrs!!

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II lens!
Desperate for it to arrive :wideyed::love::coffee:

Hi all, just got another cheap lens, nikon 50mm F1.8, got it with a nikon F301, both for just 36.50 euros, does nice Bokeh.
and some cpl filters cos its very hazy here in the summer.
View attachment 6203

Canon EF 500 f/4L IS II USM, Extender EF 1.4 III and a set of Lens Guards from WWS for the 500 and five others. WWS even threw in covers for my Extenders as freebies. Nice thought!!!!!

My brand new Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM lens came today.
I'm just gutted that it's dark out & I haven't seen my new baby perform in daylight yet. Impressed with the low light results so far however! Hired this lens in late 2012 & have missed it ever since.

Canon 5d mk1.
On the lookout for a better carbon fibre tripod. 190 maybe seen one for £169.
Plus ball head to match

Fuji 18mm f2 off the forum for £175 and a Fuji XF1 from Currys for £111 (mates business account :)).

The XF1 images are spot on for the money.

I odered a Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment for my Canon 550D. I also ordered and received today "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman and "Understanding Exposure", 3rd ed. by Bryan Peterson. I'm hoping to avoid asking "stupid questions" as complained about in another forum on this site. I'm also re-reading "Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D Digital Field Guide" by Charlotte K. Lowrie.

I odered a Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment for my Canon 550D. I also ordered and received today "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman and "Understanding Exposure", 3rd ed. by Bryan Peterson. I'm hoping to avoid asking "stupid questions" as complained about in another forum on this site. I'm also re-reading "Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D Digital Field Guide" by Charlotte K. Lowrie.
The way I see it, if you don't know the answer then it's not a stupid question.

I have to say I've had a good week on the gear front - lots of new goodies to play with for work... humour me here, I'm excited;

D750
D7100
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 vr2
17-35mm f/4 Tokina
2x TC
60mm macro
Pair of SB700 flashguns
Manfrotto 055
Manfrotto 055m8 head

Lens-wise it not a massive change from my other setup but both bodies are very much improvements over my pair of (battered) D7000 bodies. The D750 is getting the lion's share of the use, but the D7100 will come in handy when I start filming.

I have to say I've had a good week on the gear front - lots of new goodies to play with for work... humour me here, I'm excited;

D750
D7100
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 vr2
17-35mm f/4 Tokina
2x TC
60mm macro
Pair of SB700 flashguns
Manfrotto 055
Manfrotto 055m8 head

Lens-wise it not a massive change from my other setup but both bodies are very much improvements over my pair of (battered) D7000 bodies. The D750 is getting the lion's share of the use, but the D7100 will come in handy when I start filming.

(y) enjoy :D

A very very nice Olympus OMD EM-1 at the old price of £689 :p happiness

Bought couple of books.. understanding exposure and the photographers eye. Also a hoya pro 1 filter for my sigma 17 50 f2.8 lens

D750
D7100
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 vr2
17-35mm f/4 Tokina
2x TC
60mm macro
Pair of SB700 flashguns
Manfrotto 055
Manfrotto 055m8 head

That's a really nice new stash of gear Pat. Interesting that you plumbed for the Tokina, was that based upon price? I still want something longer than 85mm but don't like the focus breathing issue with the 70-200 might wait for one of the impending 135 releases to surface but keep contemplating the zoom, no major rush for me though.

Last week took delivery of a Yongnuo trigger set (2 x YN-622N transceivers and a YN-622N-TX). This week a Godox 80 x 80 softbox turned up. All I've got to do now is figure out how to take portraits.

Wife ... stand in the middle of the room and try to look gorgeous.

The canon 24-70 2.8 ii came last week and an lp-e6 for £45 from Amazon before you can't get them anymore, the new one (lp-e6n?) is £80, I wasn't paying that for a battery!... hoping to get a 600 ex rt and some other lighting bits soon.

Last edited:
That's a really nice new stash of gear Pat. Interesting that you plumbed for the Tokina, was that based upon price? I still want something longer than 85mm but don't like the focus breathing issue with the 70-200 might wait for one of the impending 135 releases to surface but keep contemplating the zoom, no major rush for me though.

The tokina was a second choice because of stock at Jessops - I'd originally gone for a Nikon version but it wasn't available and I needed the kit quickly. I have faith in Tokina stuff so no sweats. I was toying with getting the 14-24 f/2.8 but with no filter attachment, it wouldn't have worked for video.

RE: 70-200mm - I have both versions but haven't tried the mk1 on FX to compare with the new model. Newer version is certainly quieter when VR is on but its early days :)

Last edited:
The tokina was a second choice because of stock at Jessops - I'd originally gone for a Nikon version but it wasn't available and I needed the kit kit quickly. I have doth in Tokina stuff so no sweats. I was toying with getting the 14-24 f/2.8 but with no filter attachment, it wouldn't have worked for video.

RE: 70-200mm - I have both versions but haven't tried the mk1 on FX to compare with the new model. Newer version is certainly quieter when VR is on but its early days :)

I ended up going with the 16-35 purely for the filter aspect but wanted the 14-24 really, had to be practical for a change.

D750
D7100
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 vr2
17-35mm f/4 Tokina
2x TC
60mm macro
Pair of SB700 flashguns
Manfrotto 055
Manfrotto 055m8 head

Crikey Pat, I bet you had a lot of fun picking all that lot up! Did you get it all from the same retailer and if so, I hope they gave you a bloody good discount lol! Can I be cheeky and ask what the damage was, hopefully it will make the £1400 I've just spent on the new 7d mark 2 seem a lot less painful!

The bodies are different formats if I understand. What made you choose one FF and one crop body?

PS, I love the photo but can't work out whether it's a shop display or your own!!!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Http://www.andykeeblephotography.com

Last edited:
Crikey Pat, I bet you had a lot of fun picking all that lot up! Did you get it all from the same retailer and if so, I hope they gave you a bloody good discount lol! Can I be cheeky and ask what the damage was, hopefully it will make the £1400 I've just spent on the new 7d mark 2 seem a lot less painful!

The bodies are different formats if I understand. What made you choose one FF and one crop body?

PS, I love the photo but can't work out whether it's a shop display or your own!!!

Andy

Yes, lots of fun choosing and then subsequently opening the boxes :)

My work paid for it because I've been using my own kit. We ended up going through jessops - the retail price was something like £8800 but it came in a tad over £8000, so a substantial saving. The photo is the cupboard next to my desk, which is a bit of a dumping ground for fishing stuff usually but is now filled with gold boxes!!! :)

The reason I went with an FX and DX combo was for several reasons - I could have spent a lot more of work's money but I'm not greedy, plus the D7100 is s backup body and a second body for static video, so I wasn't as fussed about the sensor qualities. Plus, with a 2xTC and the 70-200mm, I can get more reach fur those times when the D750 won't be as good. I've got two D7000 bodies already and j like them, so I thought why move too far from what I know.

A Canon 1.4 extender III…. used yesterday at Slimbridge. Will be working on the images tomorrow… :clap:

Yes, lots of fun choosing and then subsequently opening the boxes :)

My work paid for it because I've been using my own kit. We ended up going through jessops - the retail price was something like £8800 but it came in a tad over £8000, so a substantial saving. The photo is the cupboard next to my desk, which is a bit of a dumping ground for fishing stuff usually but is now filled with gold boxes!!! :)

The reason I went with an FX and DX combo was for several reasons - I could have spent a lot more of work's money but I'm not greedy, plus the D7100 is s backup body and a second body for static video, so I wasn't as fussed about the sensor qualities. Plus, with a 2xTC and the 70-200mm, I can get more reach fur those times when the D750 won't be as good. I've got two D7000 bodies already and j like them, so I thought why move too far from what I know.

Pat, I hope you took your time and savoured each box, let's face it, you probably won't have another chance to buy in bulk again, unless you have a big Lotto win!

That's a fantastic saving mate, did you use Jessops in Birmingham and if so, what's the store like?

I've not been on the forum for a few months and the last time we spoke you had just lost your job at DH magazine. Congratulations on the new job mate, is it along similar lines to the fishing magazine?

Cheers mate and Happy New Year:)

Andy

Back