What the most popular lens you guys used for bird images

Cannot make my mind up between

400 f5.6

or

300ml f4 +1.4extender......

????
It's a difficult one,I've recently been using an old 300 f4 non IS with a 1.4 Kenko extender with good results, my 300 doesn't auto focus but I got it cheap,based on these results if I had the cash I'd go for the 300 f4 IS but probably only because it has IS.

That is the way I am leaning as well.

Gives more flexibility 300 and then 400+ with 1.4 extender.

Maybe "horses for courses"

It is always tempting to grab the 300mm f4 with or without a x 1.4TC as the IQ is good wide open and it is such a useful and versatile lens that is easy to use

For a long time a EF100-400 was my main wildlife lens, but as of last weekend I now own a second-hand 500mm.

I will be using mine for mainly vehicle safaris.

Sometimes walking safaris as well.

That is why I think the 300mm F4 might give me more flexibility. With the 1.4 ext for longer reach and birds in a bush....

Still cannot decide which way to go on the new camera as well.

Canon makes a lot of sense for amount of glass available.

But I do like the look of the Sony 77mk2. In which case it would be 70-400 + 1 more quality low light lens. The 70-200 f2.8 Tamron USD looks good but availability is low for the Sony format at a good price.

Choices.................................

Used to be my 500mm - still a great lens which i own, but my primary lens for bird images is my 800mm f5.6 L now ;)

14835379187_bfbdf958ba_z.jpg

Last edited:
I was the author of this thread and said

"I started with a 70 300m Nikon VR - which I still use hand held for quite a lot of shots
then a Nikon f4 300mm - I found this lens to be a big improvement over the zoom - it;s good hand held
then a Nikon 300mm f4 plus Nikon TC x 1.4 - need a tripod for this set up

I have just bought a used Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR and Nikon x 2 TC - still to use the lens and the TC"

now I can add

I have used the 300mm f2.8 VR with and without the TC's …… it is a great lens and I don't think I could ever part with it ……… it should be enough for me

Then ungraded my tripod

BUT I have just bought a Nikon 600mm f4 ll (non VR) ……… won't get it until I'm back in the UK in November

where will I go after this? ……….. I was tempted by the 500mm but they are few and far between for sale used

Cannot make my mind up between

400 f5.6

or

300ml f4 +1.4extender......

????

....I have had both these Canon L lenses and also the 1.4x III, all for over 6 months and used on a 70D (1.6x crop-sensor). I bought both lenses via TP Classified and was able to 'try-before-you-buy'. My first purchase was the 400mm and I have not found its lack of IS to be a problem at all. I already had the 1.4x III (used primarily on my Canon 70-200mm F/4L IS) but don't get on with it fitted to the 400mm unless tripod mounted - It becomes F/8 and loses AutoFocus. On the 70D, 400mm + 1.4x = 560mm and that is very very tricky to use without any Image Stabilisation when handheld. It might be just me but I don't enjoy that combo. Then the 300mm opportunity came up.

My favourite subject is dragonflies (I Admin 'UK Dragonflies & Damselflies' on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/561222590593478/ ) and so the 400mm is very limited for that as it only has a 3.5m (~12ft) minimum focus distance. The 300mm F/4L IS focusses down to 1.5m (~5ft) and so my thinking was that when combined with my Canon 1.4x it would give me the option of a 420mm reach and have IS and consequently render my 400mm obsolete and I could sell it. But what works in theory doesn't always work best in practice!

I was in no hurry to sell and so decided to use both for a few weeks (I shoot nearly every day) and then decide which to keep and which to sell. But what works in theory doesn't always work best in practice!! I quite quickly decided to keep both! The 300mm is perfect for dragonflies/butterflies etc and the 400mm good for birds. Both are as absolutely as sharp as you would expect but I don't like the 1.4x on my 300mm either. I don't know why but the 1.4x III delivers better results on my 70-200mm.

As usual it comes down to what subjects you photograph and so I value both lenses. Personally, I wouldn't buy a 100-400mm because I really dislike push-pull zoom barrels. I have no regrets whatsoever keeping both but if I was forced (screaming!) to choose only one it would probably be the 300mm because of dragonflies - The 5ft min focus feature is a deal-maker! I even use it more often on dragonflies than my Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro unless they are in the mood to allow me to get up much more close and personal, so I usually carry both.

I hope this information helps you in some way @Johnmac1956.

That is of great help thanks.

Interesting that you prefer both lenses minus the 1.4 TC. People do say that the TC and the 70-200 do go very well together both on the f/4 and f/2.8.

A lot of my time will be spent on vehicle based safaris,so I have also had a good luck at the 100-400.

I was in London today,a long way from my normal abode and took the opportunity to have a good look at lenses at Park Cameras near Oxford st.

Still not made my mind up,but certainly getting closer.

Was quite impressed by the smoothness and feel of the 100-400,I think it might be one of those love/hate things.

Canon EF500mm f4 for 95% of my bird pics. Hardly ever use my 300 f4 or 70-200 f2.8 u til recently when I tried to photograph dragonflys.

I have the Canon 400mm lens. I love it for birds in flight but really struggle taking non-blurry shots have anything at a great distance (spoonbills at our local reserve for example)

I was the author of this thread and said

"I started with a 70 300m Nikon VR - which I still use hand held for quite a lot of shots
then a Nikon f4 300mm - I found this lens to be a big improvement over the zoom - it;s good hand held
then a Nikon 300mm f4 plus Nikon TC x 1.4 - need a tripod for this set up

I have just bought a used Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR and Nikon x 2 TC - still to use the lens and the TC"

now I can add

I have used the 300mm f2.8 VR with and without the TC's …… it is a great lens and I don't think I could ever part with it ……… it should be enough for me

Then ungraded my tripod

BUT I have just bought a Nikon 600mm f4 ll (non VR) ……… won't get it until I'm back in the UK in November

where will I go after this? ……….. I was tempted by the 500mm but they are few and far between for sale used

Does anyone have experience of the kenko TCx 1.4 (nikon fit) with this nikon lens?

Does anyone have experience of the kenko TCx 1.4 (nikon fit) with this nikon lens?

I use to use the Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 with the Kenko TC 1.4x Converter and it worked really well IMHO, I sold it on here when I upgraded gear and changed lens sometime ago for £90 so you will be able to pick one up now I'am sure very cheaply and for the money its pretty damn good if you ask me

The Nikon will probably cost you twice the keno used
The Nikon TC's are built to be used with the Nikon lens and the TC14llE is built specifically to be used with the latest f300 f4 AF-S lens ….. they should always keep their value

started with a 400mm f5.6 L , still have it, since then bought a 500mm f4 L which was my main, now my main lens is going to be my 800mm f5.6 L, but i also own a 300mm f2.8 ii L as well which i do use with and without converters.

That's some serious amount of glass to have Graeme (y)

Di

Glad I found this thread. I shoot with a D800 and a 70-200 f4 and have been looking to upgrade with the addition of a Nikon x2 teleconverter. How well does this combo work?

Does anyone use either the Sigma 150-600Sport or the Tamron 150-600?

Cheers.

Glad I found this thread. I shoot with a D800 and a 70-200 f4 and have been looking to upgrade with the addition of a Nikon x2 teleconverter. How well does this combo work?

Does anyone use either the Sigma 150-600Sport or the Tamron 150-600?

Cheers.

Lots of info on both Sigma and Tamron here:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-owners-thread.577088/

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f5-6-3-di-if-vc-usd.521510/

Dave.

Started off with a 50-500 Sigma job and the tried an old Sigma 300 2.8 with TC's (I did not like this set up at all) I then progressed to a Canon 400 f5.6 a great lens nice and sharpe and fast focusing , I now though use a Tamron 150-600 lens and it's a great bit of kit gives a bit of extra reach compared to the 400 but added flexibility over the fixed 400.

Tim.

I have a canon l 100-400 and the f4 500, both are fine in my experience except the 500mm is quicker and the images are sharper, a lot is down to your budget

Back