What Tripod for long lens & Gimbal

I

Ian Wright

I have been reading through the threads and I am confused as to which tripod to go for.

I don't want to spend Gitzo money just yet as I am new to the hobby. I have been looking at a used KENRO TRIPOD 501C CARBON FIBRE. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well found spec that says Max load 14kg so that looks good for some heavy kit.

As for just how good it is in regard to rigidity, stability, low twist, and not affected by vibration.......etc, try to find some real world user reviews?

I don't want to spend Gitzo money just yet as I am new to the hobby

Understandable, really.

OTH, well chosen good stuff is always a good investment
and mediocre stuff is always a bad investment.

Say you find a used good stuff at say 2/3 of the new price
and divide it over ten years… pretty cheap and you still have
a resale value. Can't say the same things of a mediocre one.

Plus the tripod is nothing in the equation, the gear you're going
to trust safe on it IS!

Thank you folks. You are quite right Kodiak. Can anyone recommend a good one then and where I could perhaps find a used one in good condition?

Can anyone recommend a good one then and where I could perhaps find a used one in good condition?

My experience so far says that I would suggest
Gitzo Systematic 5 or 4… sure bets!

Count in a levelling base too!

I have seen a Sirui W-2204 Carbon Fibre Tripod on the bay which has an 18Kg loading. Selling here for £599 and from China / Hong kong £240 (ish) ..... I'm wondering if its worth a punt?

Selling here for £599 and from China / Hong kong £240 (ish) ..... I'm wondering if its worth a punt?

I just looked at it… 10 plíes CF is like 5 on Gitzo and
they have 6!!!

They say WATERPROOF proudly! Like saying the same
about umbrellas… what else to expect from an umbrella?

Buying these things is always getting easier but when it
come to service eventually ~…

No, I bought 4 Glitzo's at this point on this forum for my
students and I know they won't beg chinese for help.

BTW, what is your gimbal?

First point - forget weight ratings! There is no standard. I used to have a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 rated at 12 kilos, but it was quite happy with over 100 kilos = me! I, also, used to have a Manfrotto 055 rated at 8 kilos - yes it would support 8 kilos (just!) but I could push it down with one hand! Also weight ratings give you no idea on how well a tripod damps down vibration - far more important!

Gitzo prices? Well what are Gitzo prices? My most expensive, current, Gitzo is a GT4542LS which is more than up to the job for the longest lenses that Canon (and Nikon) currently make (I can say this because that is exactly what I use) and that was £375 direct from Gitzo UK. True there was a sale on - but Gitzo prices?

Often older models (still excellent tripods) can be found at silly prices. I mentioned the G1329 Mk2 above, yes it was an old model Carbon Fiber tripod, but it was absolutely fine with my 800mm F5.6 L IS and cost only £100! The most expensive used Gitzo that I have ever bought was my Traveller. Near mint at £140 including postage.

Keep a very keen eye on the used market - there are bargains to be had! If you simply cannot wait then the Sirui R series, GFeisol Elite, Benro and Induro equivalents look nice but they are awfully expensive!

These are worth a look - but don't go to silly money! Either would be fine for a 500mm F4 or 600 F4.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gitzo-GT3...872048?hash=item3f7cde21b0:g:ERoAAOSwY3BZHq4I

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gitzo-GT3...779352?hash=item4d5a60dd58:g:GbAAAOSwqWNZAKFf

The second one will need a "Top Plate" for your uses and they are not cheap so, maybe, just make an offer on that one. There will be plenty more along so don't rush!

Last edited:
All this talk of tripods got me to check which version Manfrotto I have :)

The legs are 144B, I think I have had it something in excess of 20 plus years! They are aluminium and have 3 section legs and though I had to Google it they weigh in (legs only i.e. without a head) at 2.75Kg.................I knew they 'felt' heavy :LOL: Not that great for hiking with :(

FWIW I have always found them to be rock solid especially so with the centre column at the lowest point but even with that extended it does well ~ NB the centre column is clamped tight with a single screw, if I recall last time I have remove it for cleaning after a windy beach visit a while, a pressure plate (semi-ring) to grip it across a wider area?

Do not discount FLM, they make excellent gear in Germany and offer a ten year warranty

Just noticed this on Wex "Benro Adventure TAD37C Tripod" normally £299 on offer at half price. What are your thoughts please folks.

I have watched this review

Right, it says in there that he doesn't use it much
and that he likes the movement dampening. He
says also the there are no bearings in that head
but, for the price and the origin (China), possibly
plastic bushings… that won't last as long for sure!

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the super quick reply Kodiak, very much appreciated.

I like the idea of the Carbon Fibre legs and probably wont get the head. Am I right in thinking I would just connect my Gimbal to the legs? Thanks.

Yes, the Beike just screws on top of the legs. It's 'ok' but I soon replaced mine with a lensmaster rh2.
Carbon fibre legs are not only a bit lighter, they dampen vibration better too.

Thanks Tom. I am really unsure what to do. Should I go for the "Benro Adventure TAD37C Tripod" at £139 from Wex just for the legs or do I splash out on a Manfrotto 057 Carbon Fibre 4 Section Tripod or the Gitzo GT2543L Mountaineer Series 2 Carbon eXact Long Tripod. I'm over 6 feet tall so the height of the Gitzo would suit best.

ps. Just spotted this lensmaster 2 online. Used and £79.. Worth it??

USED-RH2-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The best tripod I have every owned is https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/neotec-pro-photo-tripod
It one of very few that is built the right way up. Yes the fattest legs are at the bottom, what engineer would every build it with the thinnest legs at the bottom like most are?
This way you do not get water, grit, sand or mud up inside the legs. and its so fast to use.

Thanks Tom. I am really unsure what to do. Should I go for the "Benro Adventure TAD37C Tripod" at £139 from Wex just for the legs or do I splash out on a Manfrotto 057 Carbon Fibre 4 Section Tripod or the Gitzo GT2543L Mountaineer Series 2 Carbon eXact Long Tripod. I'm over 6 feet tall so the height of the Gitzo would suit best.

ps. Just spotted this lensmaster 2 online. Used and £79.. Worth it??

View attachment 102800
Snap the thing up right now! that's almost half price...
I'd go for a Gitzo if I had the funds, I have a cf Benro atm and very pleased with it, my other tripod is a manfrotto cf 443 which isn't the tallest.

Snap the thing up right now! that's almost half price...
I'd go for a Gitzo if I had the funds, I have a cf Benro atm and very pleased with it, my other tripod is a manfrotto cf 443 which isn't the tallest.

Oh dear (or words to that effect), it's sold already :-(

I think I have narrowed my choice of Tripod down to either : Gitzo GT2532 Mountaineer Series 2 Carbon eXact Tripod or Gitzo GT5543XLS eXact Carbon XL Ser.5.

Can I justify the GT5543 and the extra £300?

I think I have narrowed my choice of Tripod down to either : Gitzo GT2532 Mountaineer Series 2 Carbon eXact Tripod or Gitzo GT5543XLS eXact Carbon XL Ser.5.

Can I justify the GT5543 and the extra £300?

Series 3 no good? would have thought that was about right for your intended use

Series 3 no good? would have thought that was about right for your intended use

The

Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Series 3 Carbon eXact Long Tripod at £699 would be ok for me (I need the height) but there is a GT5543XLS (ex-demo) available for £804, so I thought for the extra £105 its a lot more tripod???

The

Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Series 3 Carbon eXact Long Tripod at £699 would be ok for me (I need the height) but there is a GT5543XLS (ex-demo) available for £804, so I thought for the extra £105 its a lot more tripod???

Lot more weight and bigger folded up size too, I had a 3540LS and with head and camera I was on tiptoes (I'm 6ft tall) to see the top LCD.
Using a gimbal I suspect the larger top plate of a systematic would be preferable to the mountaineer range

Lot more weight and bigger folded up size too, I had a 3540LS and with head and camera I was on tiptoes (I'm 6ft tall) to see the top LCD.
Using a gimbal I suspect the larger top plate of a systematic would be preferable to the mountaineer range

I have seen the Gitzo GT3542 Mountaineer Series 3 for £567 which I believe is a good price. It has a max height of 162cm but with the gimbal I think it might be tall enough? I'm 6'2".

I have seen the Gitzo GT3542 Mountaineer Series 3 for £567 which I believe is a good price. It has a max height of 162cm but with the gimbal I think it might be tall enough? I'm 6'2".

If that's with the centre column fully raised it will be far less stable hence my suggestion of the no column systematic range

Thanks Rich, I am going to go for the GT5543XLS......... the wallet wont be happy after the battering its had this week but hey were only here once :)

Thanks Rich, I am going to go for the GT5543XLS......... the wallet wont be happy after the battering its had this week but hey were only here once :)

Very true Ian, no pockets in a shroud, enjoy your great new tripod.

Go for the more expensive Gitzo. Then you will not want a more expensive tripod as you will be at the top of the scale.

I regret missing a series 5 on the sale of the old models that is why I said it. Now you can't blame the tripod if something is not right so you concentrate on that bit.

If you are looking at gitzos Park Cameras are worth a looking. They have a few at good prices. This 5 series tripod looks like it's a good compromise on maximum height and closed length.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/K3725...ction-series-5-systematic-carbon-fibre-tripod

I recently sold a gitzo GT3542XLS on here because I changed down to the LS version because of the closed length at 72cm was pretty long especially with a head attached too (I was at 85cm with the uniqball on top, with a gimbal you would be looking at over 90cm). When walking about I noticed it and out landscaping with lots of walking I noticed it. The 3 series gitzo GT3542LS holds my 200-400 f4 steady.

What you haven't said is what lenses you are planning on using. If it's not in the realms of 600mm f4 or 800mm f5.6 the 3 series gitzos would befine and lighter too.

Edit: just saw you had placed the order so you can likely forget the above.

Last edited:
If you are looking at gitzos Park Cameras are worth a looking. They have a few at good prices. This 5 series tripod looks like it's a good compromise on maximum height and closed length.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/K3725...ction-series-5-systematic-carbon-fibre-tripod

I recently sold a gitzo GT3542XLS on here because I changed down to the LS version because of the closed length at 72cm was pretty long especially with a head attached too (I was at 85cm with the uniqball on top, with a gimbal you would be looking at over 90cm). When walking about I noticed it and out landscaping with lots of walking I noticed it. The 3 series gitzo GT3542LS holds my 200-400 f4 steady.

What you haven't said is what lenses you are planning on using. If it's not in the realms of 600mm f4 or 800mm f5.6 the 3 series gitzos would befine and lighter too.

Edit: just saw you had placed the order so you can likely forget the above.
Hi Rob, It's for my 7D II with a Sigma 150-600 Sport.

The 5 series will be plenty big enough for that :)
Got to plan for the future you know ... I am sure a 600mm and a nikon D810 would make me get better photographs of birds (if I ever got off my rear end) :LOL: Ian will soon think the same for Canon etc. so the good tripod will come handy.

Thanks Charles, I have now ordered the GT5543XLS

The GT5543XLS that you have ordered is a bit of a monster. However nobody will ever accuse you of mot having enough tripod!

A 3 series will happily stay put with a 100 + kilo fattie (me!) on it so you will have to bring a friend if you want to know what your tripod is capable of!

It is certainly overkill but, if the weight and bulk are not an issue, then you will never need anything more rigid regardless of what lens you buy. For what it's worth the older version is, apparently, the choice for the Canon 1200 F5.6 L -:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0E-nZOlY_k

The best tripod I have every owned is https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/neotec-pro-photo-tripod
It one of very few that is built the right way up. Yes the fattest legs are at the bottom, what engineer would every build it with the thinnest legs at the bottom like most are?
This way you do not get water, grit, sand or mud up inside the legs. and its so fast to use.

And the worst I've ever owned. Fast to adjust the legs for sure, but otherwise the leg joints are wobbly, it's heavy, expensive, and the legs are not the right way up!

Back