What virus software?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening, my trial version of norton (latest version) is due to end in 2 days time so im looking at alternatives.

I havent had any problems with norton and like the security it provides when ordering and buying things of the net.

My question is will something like avg or avast offer me enough protection or is Norton more secure?

Thanks for any advice offered :help:

Well I use the FREE version and AVG and have done for years.

I find it's great - and it automatically updates itself every day - for FREE!

I also use the FREE version of Zone Alarm and, again, have done for years.

Why pay if you can get something good for FREE?

I will never buy Norton, the last time i used it it got so annoying telling me ever 5 seconds sometinhg was happening ARRRRHH.

Kaspersky internet security or AVG do the same job and cost less.

i have used avg in the past and had no problems but not sure how secure it is when buying stuff of the internet?

I have used free AVG for years and never had a problem, also use Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes and Lavasoft Ad-aware for spyware (all free).

I use Avast now, I have used Norton in the past but never again.

i have avast.......... fantastic it is'.

I am using Avast free version, delighted with it

I always used Norton until about 2 years ago when I switched to AVG (only due to cost). Had no problem with either of them really.

I use Kaspersky, its brilliant.
We got it from PC world and managed to get a 3 license setup for £19.99 in a branded price marked box, enough for the desktop, her netbook and my laptop.
The thing I really like about is the virtual keyboard and the safe sandbox for "ahem" questionable surfing/

I'm using nod myself...

:plus1:

Eset NOD32 for me as well... In all the years I've been using it, it's let absolutely nothing through! It's the best £24 a year I spend on my laptop! It sits there in the background doing exactly what it's supposed to and until it pops up to remind me about something (usually Windows Updates), I don't even know it's there! :)

Si

I used to use AVG, starting getting false postive's, switched to AVAST, much better.

I used Norton for years (both anti-virus & system tools) and it has slowly but surely gone downhill. The most reason version can reduce even a powerful pc to a crawl.

I use Krapspersky at work - not brilliant, but I think it is the business network version that causes the problem.

The best by far (and I've tried a good few) is Eset Nod32 - nothing gets past it & it is so quick that it has almost no impact on the PC. Tests have shown it to be many times quicker than Norton.

Phil

I used Norton for years (both anti-virus & system tools) and it has slowly but surely gone downhill. The most reason version can reduce even a powerful pc to a crawl.

I use Krapspersky at work - not brilliant, but I think it is the business network version that causes the problem.

The best by far (and I've tried a good few) is Eset Nod32 - nothing gets past it & it is so quick that it has almost no impact on the PC. Tests have shown it to be many times quicker than Norton.

Phil

How much does Eset Nod32 cost to buy?

Years and years ago I used Norton, but then found out it didn't detect the eicar antivirus test file. Tried a few others but I've been with Eset Nod32 these past 7 years or so and it's been grand. I'd recommend it to anyone, but if you want a free AV, then theres Avast, Avira, AVG amongst others. I keep a copy of ClamWin portable on my usb stick, very handy if I end up fixing someone elses PC and I don't know what state it'll be in.

1 Year licence Price (inc VAT): £29.95
2 Year licence Price (inc VAT): £44.91
3 Year licence Price (inc VAT): £62.86

Norton :puke:

I've used kaspersky for about 3 years now and I've never had any trouble. I would highly recommend.

Kaspersky at work, it's ok.
At home I use vipre, cost about £30 for all the pc's you have in the house. Very fast and doesn't hog the processor unduly.

I wouldn't bother mate

After reading how popular Eset Nod32 was here last night, and checking out reviews online this seemed like a really good product, so I downloaded the trial to give it a go, installation went fine, ran a scan and TBH I liked it, nice simple interface, although the scan wasn't fast compared to other anti virus scanners I've used in the past.

I never have any trouble with any utility's or software, however, I went to start my system this morning and couldn't do a bloody thing, as soon Eset Nod32 loaded that was it, couldn't disable it or anything as it just locked up the entire PC! after around 45 mins and numerous attempts to try and get into windows I had to put my windows disk in, boot from the CD and restore it back to the point before I installed it. (My system is now running fine again)

Might work OK for others, maybe I was just unlucky, but I'd never use software that mucks my system up like that again :cautious:

I work in IT and it's my job to to protect our network which consisits of just over 300 machines based in the UK, USA and India, we use Nod32 which is good, altho not the greatest at stopping /removing malware, and we have had a couple of bad updates from Nod which has causes us issues.

To remove malware we use a combination of Malwarebytes Antimalware (free) and Avira (free)

For our home users we are starting to recommend MS Security Essentials (free) which works well, in fact i'm testing running Forefront which is the business version of MS security essentials to replace Nod32 for our corporate protection.

My personal vote goes for MS security essentials

Chris

you get what you pay for, i use Kaspersky myself which as got internet surity and is better then the free stuff

Back