What virus software?

i've used norton & mcafee previously with good results,i'm currently using kaspersky,which is ok, only using this as barclays offer it for free to internet banking customers

(y) for Microsoft Security Essentials

works a breeze, uses sod all system processes. Just does it, without you knowing!

Avira, not been using it long, but seems Ok so far, it replaced MCafee which suddenly decided not to let me have access to my hard disks ! It had to go.

Iv'e tried a few in the past..Norton :thumbsdown:..AVG..which was good but started to slow things up a bit and after reading these posts on here i decided to try Avast,free version,ran it for a week or so and it worked well,no system slowdown etc. and now i have in the last couple of days have paid for the full internet protection..and am really happy with it..(y)

I've used avg/free for years but recently started having issues with the latest versions so I switched to avast/free which I find works just as well for when I venture into XP :spit:

Remember, the greatest anti-virus/anti-malware tool you have, by far, is the common sense of the person on the keyboard.

Here's another vote for Avast - (y)

Used Norton for two years and the first time it happened I didn't twig it, but when it happened on the second year - Definitely know it was Norton!

Totally screwed my machine up - It was at the point when it starts remind you EVERYTIME you start, you only have "? Days left to renew your subscription" ...... :thumbsdown:

Started running slow, wouldn't connect to the internet, freezing - absolute nightmare, first time its happened I splatted and re-installed everything, second time too - got rid of Norton, had no problems for quite a while now.

Could only have been Norton, hadn't changed, installed anything else.

Although we use NOD32 at work and on my hoime machines, I always recommend Microsoft Security Essentials now as I kind of lost faith with AVG and found Avaast be be annoying. Had no issues with MSE so far on any machines I've tested it on.

Another vote for AVG here, been using it for over 6 years now and never any problems.

HATE Norton, had to help a load of friends who cant get it off their computers. i mean, if you dont want norton on your machine, you just uninstall it, right! WRONG! after messing about for ages, you then find out that if you do want to uninstall, you have to download and run a norton removal tool from the norton website. Why they have to make it so difficult for us to get their software off our machines, when we have to shell out a £30 subscription a year to them for it in the 1st place. hmm.

I use Kaspersky it's free if you bank with Barclays

hows it working out? personally id LOVE to bin off sophos at work.. especially if its cost effective.

only got it running on 10 machines at the mo, but works well and it's caught everything i've thrown at it so far (better detection rate than nod)

Typical MS ***, you have a collection server, database server, management server, it ties into AD / Group policys and WSUS, so not really all that simple to setup, but once its going in theory you'll never have to install AV again as it's all automatically pushed via policys etc.

if you want any more info PM me

Chris

Typical MS ***, you have a collection server, database server, management server,

thats fine so does sophos..

it ties into AD / Group policys and WSUS, so not really all that simple to setup, but once its going in theory you'll never have to install AV again as it's all automatically pushed via policys etc.

sounds good, we already have WSUS set up too.

thats fine so does sophos..

sounds good, we already have WSUS set up too.

forgot one thing, you'll need SLQ server as well, full version not just the express editions

Nod32 is the best QV I have used so far and I have used a lot both at home and work.

I use Kaspersky, its on offer for £24.99 at pc world.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/293068

Kaspersky has done nothing but cause us problems with our clients - absolutely killing the performance of Dual Core 4GHz of RAM PCs :puke: My boss won't admit it though... erm personally I don't use any antivirus or as I'd like to call it 'Common sense corporate editions' - but for normals i would suggest avast. It has a gimmicky interface but it does a good job.

I used AVG Free for many years, but found the newer versions were too bulky and taking up a lof of system resources. So I tried Avast briefly, seemed quite good but it caused problems with firefox not closing properly etc, so I tried Microsoft Security Essentials after hearing so many positive reviews.

So far it has been great, uses very little system resources and has already detected a trojan on my portable hard-disk I aquired from a University PC! :)
Highly Recommended.

I used Avast (free) until recently when a virus got into my address book which sent out spurious emails under my name. Now using Spywaredoctor (subscription) so hopefully will not accur again.

Nod32 V4 - Small footprint, no draw on system resources an lightning quick!

I am covered by the companies 50 user 3 year license so double bonus :)

I used Avast (free) until recently when a virus got into my address book which sent out spurious emails under my name. Now using Spywaredoctor (subscription) so hopefully will not accur again.

do you know for sure it was a virus? its entirely possible to spoof a senders address without even touching their machine..

id be careful just running Spywaredoctor, that is not a virus package.

To remove malware we use a combination of Malwarebytes Antimalware (free) and Avira (free)
For our home users we are starting to recommend MS Security Essentials (free) which works well, Chris

Chris.....
running Vista Home Premium
Malwarebytes - paid subscription
running AVG Free
had MS Defender - now disabled

just downloaded and installed MS S Essentialsis -- is ok to leave the above two running at the same time ?

connected to web via Thompson wireless Router

thanks

If you're a microsoft user Microsoft Security Essentials is both free and very good - its not intrusive at all (which is perhaps the opposite of what you would expect from microsoft). With that and the Microsoft firewall I have had no spyware of viruses on my PC and im a heavy internet user and download regularly.

Chris.....
running Vista Home Premium
Malwarebytes - paid subscription
running AVG Free
had MS Defender - now disabled

just downloaded and installed MS S Essentialsis -- is ok to leave the above two running at the same time ?

connected to web via Thompson wireless Router

thanks

as neil said generally dont have 2 running together, so i'd disable avg as that may well cause you issues

with malwarebytes *** we've had no issues running it alongside other av's, altho to be fair that not usually having the real time protection running, we just use it to do a manual scan every now and then

Chris.....

thanks

Only ever run one AV product, ideally one that scans for spyware/adware and rootkits. Or you need more than one scheduled scan which seems inefficient to me.

thanks all ....seems a BIG step for me cos I used AVG for so long but....

would you please confirm that MD S Essentials is the way to go and therefore disable AVG ?

thanks....................john

would you please confirm that MS Essentials is the way to go and therefore disable AVG ?

Have to agree with Neil, it's less bloated and seems to work very well surprisingly.
Only had it installed on my system for a day, but I would certainly recommend it over other free virus scanners.

I'm quite impressed with it, simply because it's so easy on the system, unlike other scanners it has a pretty small memory footprint,
and the detection rate from what I've read is pretty much on par with other products anyway.

thanks all ....seems a BIG step for me cos I used AVG for so long but....

would you please confirm that MD S Essentials is the way to go and therefore disable AVG ?

John,

You need to fully uninstall AVG and then restart the machine before installing any new AV poducts.

Uninstall it using the Control Panel, don't try it by deleteing files etc.

John.

I used to use avg and switched to nod32 on someone's recommendation - i loved that it never slowed my machine down. I loved it right until I got a virus, which I had to pay to get removed, and then switched to sophos.
Sophos REALLY slows my pc down when it's scanning, but I have had no virus problems.
However, sophos on my laptop has stopped updating and I now need to get THAT sorted.

A

I used to use avg and switched to nod32 on someone's recommendation - i loved that it never slowed my machine down. I loved it right until I got a virus, which I had to pay to get removed, and then switched to sophos.

:thinking:
I take it you were using a trial which had expired so you couldn't get any newer definitions?

i actually uninstalled the corporate supplied sophos we have in favour of avast as it let a few nasties through..

unfortunately i cant get management to bin it off as they wont pay out for a replacement.

is PC life ever easy ??

ok...uninstalled AVG through CPanel
IE8 popped up saying couldn't find server ... suppose it was sending a report to AVG?
(couldn't connect cos I disconnected wireless router while i fiddled around.....:) )
then asked to reboot..ok...hung ....wouldn't shut down...........
waited 10mins - hard reboot (if that's the right term?)

all ok except tray icon now says "Defender not ON"
I had turned Defender OFF as instructed by my PC builder when I added a wireless router

what to do now ??...........:thinking:

Now you need to install your new Antivirus application. This will most likely require, or at least ask for , a reboot too.

Not sure why someone would recommend turning off Windows Defender when adding a wireless router....

Most AV products also have Anti Spyware functionality too, in which case you don't need defender running, but if you are not sure, then best o let it do its thang.

John.

Back