What virus software?

Not sure why someone would recommend turning off Windows Defender when adding a wireless router....

Most AV products also have Anti Spyware functionality too, in which case you don't need defender running, but if you are not sure, then best o let it do its thang.

no reason at all to turn defender off really..

although it seems like MS Security Essentials envelops defender? at least on the gf vista machine defender it seems to? so defender may need turning back on in order for SE to work?

Have used the free version of AVG for what seems like donkeys years and have never experienced any problems and have made many internet purchases.

AVG or Avast if your looking for free.

If you want to pay......NEVER EVER GET NORTON!!! I would rather down load a virus to destroy my computer

McAfee is what you want :)

My dad is IT boss at Hartlepool Power Station and McAfee is what all their systems have on them. He has just been on a IT security meeting etc and they recommended AVG and Avast for the free ones etc....

Now you need to install your new Antivirus application. ...Most AV products also have Anti Spyware functionality too, in which case you don't need defender running, but if you are not sure, then best o let it do its thang....John.

thanks....MD S Essentials installed

Defender ON - updated and running

now my "Uninstall hardware" tray icon has disappeared ...............:shrug:

I hate Bill Gates................:bat:

mcafee is just as bad as norton.. ran it for 4 years at my last job and it was appauling.

the safely remove hardware icon only appears when there is something plugged in like a USB drive?

the safely remove hardware icon only appears when there is something plugged in like a USB drive?

thanks - back on showing the "dongle" for the wireless router
did a Full Scan with MS SEssentials --- all ok now

Back