What Was The First Single Record You Bought?

Joe, you're either younger than I had you down as or you bought your first single when you were older than most people :thinking:

I'm 33 and I bought this when I was 15. so maybe both?

I hav a brother and two sisters all older so I had a lot of music which they bought, plus I didn't really listen to music till I was in my teens

I'm 33 and I bought this when I was 15. so maybe both?
Yeah, I guess both!

I've got two older sisters and they both kept me stocked with music till they started going clubbing and buying the "music" played in clubs - our CD collections drifted apart fairly rapidly from that point :LOL:

Yeah it was great, took me years to work out the real meaning of the song though...................... oh how naive i was back then :LOL:
I just looked up the lyrics :eek: I'd never twigged before! "Es are good" :bonk:

Breakin' the law by Judas priest with free iron on patch!

I had that and promptly ironed the patch onto a sleeveless denim jacket, lettering on the patch started to fade so it was embroidered on. Still have the record and still have the jacket too.
First single I bought for myself was ELO Turn to Stone. Used to buy albums before that. Had around 500 albums at one point but sold a few after I got married and they were taking up too much room, ended up making a record cabinet out of a wardrobe to store them and the 300+ singles I had plus the CD's. Very seldom buy music anymore, just a few specific bands.

Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen by Neil Sedaka in January 1962 for my then girlfriend and now my wife of <cough> years! :)

Only ever bought one single.

I was 15 and had enough hard earned pocket money to buy my first LP, Pink Floyd's Meddle.

Had enough left over for a single so bought John Lennon's Power to the People.

No idea what happened to that single, and I'm now on my 3rd. copy of Meddle.

Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC was the first 7" I bought.

Oh god there is no way I can remember the exact 1st single but was probably one of the following as I had very few singles I was always an album person from a very young age.

Whichever of these quality songs :bonk: is the earliest is probably my 1st

My Dingaling - Chuck Berry
Lily the Pink - The Scaffold
Ernie - Benny Hill

1st Album by the way was Mary Poppins :bang:

First 7" Blockbuster The Sweet , I can still hear my dad now, why is the guitarist wearing lipstick

First and only 12" Closer to the heart, Rush

First 7" was "let it be" by Ferry Aid.

First album was either Erasure's "Two-ring Circus" on double cassette or "Zoolook" by Jarre on LP

Stranglers best band on the planet until Hugh Cornwall left......

Seen them live 5 times, shook Jean-Jacques hand at their post-Hugh comeback gig at Broughton, Milton Keynes :D

and first single....

Alvin Stardust - Red Dress :help:

7" - Eighth Day, Hazel O'Connor. Never did get round to seeing Breaking Glass though! Apparently it's crap, anyway :)
12" Vienna - Ultravox.
Just out of curiosity, I googled Vienna and I'd forgotten this bit: (Soucre: Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ions-favourite-number-two-single-8433924.html )
"it was kept from the chart summit in 1981 by Joe Dolce's "Shaddup You Face", which has long been considered one of the biggest chart injustices of all time."

Last edited:
Gene Genie by David Bowie, it must have been about 1972-73 and I remember saving my pocket money to buy it. :D

I couldn't afford proper records when I was young. I had to make do with the Top of the Pops albums!

Steve.

Steve, out of interest, I notice from your sig. you're into Rockabilly.

I once went to a gig by Roddy Radiation and the Tearjerkers. It was awesome.

It was only later I realised Roddy was one of The Specials.

Did you ever come across them?

Steve, out of interest, I notice from your sig. you're into Rockabilly.

Yes. I'm in a couple of rockabilly bands

I once went to a gig by Roddy Radiation and the Tearjerkers. It was awesome.

Did you ever come across them?

I haven't come across them but I have just listened to a few tracks on YouTube. Good stuff.

Looks like they would be a good band live - as you found out.

Steve.

Last edited:
Sugar Baby Love by the Rubettes & had a chat with the girl in Woolies about how good it was. Still have Born to be alive by Patrick Hernandez that I borrowed from Beverley Hall back in 1981. Wonder if she wants it back?

Yes. I'm in a couple of rockabilly bands

I haven't come across them but I have just listened to a few tracks on YouTube. Good stuff.

Looks like they would be a good band live - as you found out.

Steve.

My mates brother was 'H' Howard who played guitar with Roddy Radiation in the Ska Billy Rebels until he succumbed to the booze

Jeepster T.Rex.

Funny over the last 4 years been to see the Stranglers and the venue in Manchester was chokka blok with all ages.

Bauhaus reform few moons back 2005 and The Mission and saw the Cult in middleborough and the place rocked. and 18month back Gary goth Numan.... Total mind blow......

Oh and endless Sisters of Mercy when ever we find them playing.

Last edited:
Cool For Cats - Squeze on 7" Pink vinyl, which i still have somewhere

I'd been taping stuff off the charts for a couple of years content with not buying any records, then I heard 'Are Friends Electric', and absolutely had to have it.

Back