What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

No use for it, don't even do landscapes but I always feel like I need an 11-24 when ever I see them on YouTube or for sale, it would never leave my bag after the first week

A Panny 45-175 so I can get some good shots of giraffes when I'm swanning about on the Highveld this November :cool:

Last edited:
Seen a Sony a6000+lens for cheap so tempted to move onto that from my nikon d7000.

Format hitech filter kit. Need to start getting out and figure out what all this filter lark's about :)

Probably the only thing I'd buy is a Canon Eos1d X my II, although I'm not sure I'd buy able to carry it and my Sigma 300-800mm to the car - let alone around a nature reserve!

Probably the only thing I'd buy is a Canon Eos1d X my II, although I'm not sure I'd buy able to carry it and my Sigma 300-800mm to the car - let alone around a nature reserve!

Need one of the beach trolley things to cart it all around perhaps?! Or 6months in the gym? :)

a canon 1300D well not for me but for my lad,

Really lusting over some primes. Canon's 85/1.8 and the 135/2 in particular...

Must also get a 35 to fill the gap between my 21 and 50. Would love the f/1.4 but it is a stretch for the amount of use I will be getting out of it.

Just flogged my Canon 7d mkii to MPB (hated the images it produced with a passion) - money was in the bank for a day before I went looking for a Canon 15mm f/2.8 EF fisheye - MPB had the best condition ones I could find so they've got a large chunk of the 7d cash back - should arrive tomorrow

Either a flash, or a zoom lens. Would love both, but no spare cash for either. :(

Oh yes, another flash would also be nice!

But as for lusting over it must be a Canon EF 135/2L...

My next photography related purchase?

Some talent

Shame I can't find anywhere selling it at a knock down price.

You are clearly not playing enough. Play more, make more mistakes and gather some corkers in the process too...

10% Inspiration / 90% Perspiration;)

I've been struggling with gear snobbery. The glitter of top quality photographs impels me towards improving the IQ my gear is capable of. There are some weak lenses in my arsenal. On the other hand I should be saving up for my next camera body upgrade. My aging camera body was bought second hand five years ago. Its successor is now due for replacement by the successor of the successor, rumoured to be undergoing experimental tests and a few to several months from arrival in the market.

An improved lens will improve the IQ of some of my shots requiring the talents of a lens of that particular kind, which while interesting and exciting will not, to be honest, improve the general quality of my whole photographic output by much. A camera upgrade will on the other hand improve the quality of quite a lot of my output. Some of those dim light too noisy images I now struggle with in post processing and eventually sadly reject will pass the bar of publishable acceptability. The size to which I can print my very best images while observing my fetish for detail resolution can be expected to increase.

On the other hand, however, I'm uncomfortably aware that by far the biggest reason I don't have more photographs of publicly applaudable quality is not because I don't have a good enough camera or lenses. Embarrassingly it's often because I have too much gear. I had the wrong lens on the camera and hadn't the time to change it. Or I'd left the appropriate lens at home because my bag was already too heavy. Or I'd got tired lugging the gear around and simply couldn't be bothered.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that bang for buck in terms of improving the quantity and quality of my best publishable photography would be buying something which will make it easier and quicker to get my photographic act together when presented with a photographic opportunity. Something like a gear bag will designed for rapid access, or a little lightweight tripod so easy to carry around that I usually do carry it around. But those sensible useful purchases won't assuage the gear snobbery component of my GAS...

I've been struggling with gear snobbery. The glitter of top quality photographs impels me towards improving the IQ my gear is capable of. There are some weak lenses in my arsenal. On the other hand I should be saving up for my next camera body upgrade. My aging camera body was bought second hand five years ago. Its successor is now due for replacement by the successor of the successor, rumoured to be undergoing experimental tests and a few to several months from arrival in the market.

An improved lens will improve the IQ of some of my shots requiring the talents of a lens of that particular kind, which while interesting and exciting will not, to be honest, improve the general quality of my whole photographic output by much. A camera upgrade will on the other hand improve the quality of quite a lot of my output. Some of those dim light too noisy images I now struggle with in post processing and eventually sadly reject will pass the bar of publishable acceptability. The size to which I can print my very best images while observing my fetish for detail resolution can be expected to increase.

On the other hand, however, I'm uncomfortably aware that by far the biggest reason I don't have more photographs of publicly applaudable quality is not because I don't have a good enough camera or lenses. Embarrassingly it's often because I have too much gear. I had the wrong lens on the camera and hadn't the time to change it. Or I'd left the appropriate lens at home because my bag was already too heavy. Or I'd got tired lugging the gear around and simply couldn't be bothered.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that bang for buck in terms of improving the quantity and quality of my best publishable photography would be buying something which will make it easier and quicker to get my photographic act together when presented with a photographic opportunity. Something like a gear bag will designed for rapid access, or a little lightweight tripod so easy to carry around that I usually do carry it around. But those sensible useful purchases won't assuage the gear snobbery component of my GAS...

No such thing as too much gear!:D

But seriously, what body do you shoot currently? I would personally always upgrade lenses first and only upgrade the camera body when it is REALLY necessary...

Back