What would you do??................

Name
Tracey
Edit My Images
Yes
ok, im new here...been reading through lots of posts, but not really replied to anything coz im a total noob who doesnt know anything!!

just out of interest (inspired by a thread ive read on here) how many of you would take this up? and what are your thoughts on it?

if someone asked you to photograph a wedding for free and provide a cd of images without watermarks on?

Ok so by reading some posts..some of you hate the idea n think people are trying to get a free photographer. but what if it takes place in a zoo? and your able to photograph animals too once the zoo is closed to the public (so your not fighting for a good photo position?)

What would you expect in return? (obviously directed at non-proffesionals who otherwise would charge £2000:eek:)

would you see it as a good opportunity for an interesting portfolio (its not everyday someone gets married in a zoo!) or would you be put off?

As another total noob, I would run and hide in case I fouled it up. It's a nice idea to have an access all areas pass to a closed zoo, but unless you are 100% sure of you skills it's a helluva risk.

even if there was 2 other photographers there (for all angle shots) and the couple were more interested in tons of momentos of the day rather than amazing posed shots? would you do it then?

At the moment I would do any event for free, just for the practice and they could have unwatermarked images for free too. But if it was a wedding I would insist apon a pro tog there too, so the important shots wernt missed by my cockups.

each to his/her own.. i wouldnt do what a dozen photographers on a messageboard would do... what do YOU want to do.. Seems to me like your well up for it.. so give it a go :)

the usual.. so long as bride and groom are aware of what they may or may not get :)

BTW having been to chester zoo.. not seen much of anyone struggling for a good photo position unless its feeding time :)

ok....let me make a HUGE confession.......

it was me who was thinking of getting married in chester zoo in a couple of years.
i just wanted to get thoughts coz didnt want to be branded as a cheap skate lol...the truth is....chester zoo is dear enough to hire without a photographer...so was trying to get 3-4 photographers who wanted the opportunity of portfolio shots etc.

just want as many photos of the day as poss on a disc....not bothered if they not perfect...chances are some out of 4 photographers set of pics r guna b good!

if u did this....would you expect something in return? i just havnt got the money to pay for a proffesional who can only be stood in one place at a time if you know what i mean.
do u think its cheeky to ask?

Its not cheeky to ask.. its a good idea.. IMHO :) But .. most photographers who would take on a task have there own nich (is that spelt right?) you would be looking for photographerS who are interested in weddings AND wildlife.

You will get a few moaning.. but if you understand the possibilities of not getting the important pics you wanted and possibly dissapointed... But gambled against a great backdrop and probably loads of good pics and more than what you wanted...

Theres a saying that you cant get shot for asking... well its not strictly true around here.. But i would say go for it.. your bound to get a few takers ...

PS .. think students:)

Is it cheeky to ask, a little but if you don't ask...

What would I expect for the day?
Expenses and dinner for starters :) But that is me and I'm not a wedding tog. If you think about what you are offering then you are quite likely to attract some nature togs who fancy a pop at a wedding.

I would urge you to look at even the basic packages for wedding photographers. You are in a very unique location for a wedding and I think you would do well to make sure that you have the best possible chance of getting top shots. Sounds like it will be one to remember!

I'm not saying you won't through asking - but is it worth the risk?

thank-u so much....thought i was going to get screamed at n called a scrounger or something lol....its just that chester zoo is where we went on our first 'date' and i just LOVE animals n im a big kid!! love zoos!

just thought it would be interesting for people to take pics in a zoo.also...would you be put off by having 3 other togs there? i just want pics shot from different angles etc.
plus they get to go on a tour guided 'safari' thru the zoo when its shut.

i just love pictures....n id take them myslef but i think id be to busy saying vows etc :LOL:
i have to make the cake, invitations n favours myself...but theres a limit on the photography!! :LOL:

Do you know the people you are taking pictures for? If you do not know them then you should charge them, but on the other hand it is in your favour for building your portfolio and your happy to do it then you should go ahead.

Tracey, no reason you should get shouted at, it's a very reasonable question to ask IMHO. As for the location, I think it's a wonderful idea. I know what you mean about zoos, I've just become a member of Whipsnade Zoo. (y)

some observations ;)

1. Your strategy depends on finding 4 photographers available on the day who have an interest in animals, want experience in wedding photography and are prepared to work for nothing. It's possible but you're pushing it.

2. If the zoo is expensive enough to hire without a photgrapher why not hire a photographer and pick another location?

3. Do you really, REALLY want watermarks on your wedding images???

4. Please stop using text speak, it looks silly.

5. Your sig is too big, it's breaking the rules. :)

some observations ;)

1. Your strategy depends on finding 4 photographers available on the day who have an interest in animals, want experience in wedding photography and are prepared to work for nothing. It's possible but you're pushing it.

2. If the zoo is expensive enough to hire without a photgrapher why not hire a photographer and pick another location?

3. Do you really, REALLY want watermarks on your wedding images???

4. Please stop using text speak, it looks silly.

5. Your sig is too big, it's breaking the rules. :)

She asked for pics without watermarks. ;)

thanks fabs, misread that bit ;)

To be honest then I think it's a bit greedy to ask for four sets of free photographs :shrug:

sorry bout my sig.....didnt realize there was a limit...im new:crying:
also sorry about using txt speak...its just that it was faster to answer because i didnt want to cross post anyone.

thats why i was asking what you would want in return....entrance fee would be paid for, and there would be a after 'safari' BBQ for you...just didnt know what else to offer?

and i dont want another location because its my dream place to get married!! which is why im paying that bit extra.....its just perfect for us...its where we had our first date n got good memories of it.

fabs...ive never been there...i dont even have a clue where it is!!

and you might not get the eye contact you want in the best images:)

thanks fabs, misread that bit ;)
:

hmm
did you also miss the bit where she says the zoo was her first date so getting married there?

fletch what do u mean about the eye contact?? im new to this lol

yup London is abit far!! the furthest ive been is Wales!! :LOL: literally!

thanks everyone,

maybe 4 is too many? its just i wanted all different angles...n each photographer has there own ways of taking pics? or am i being stupid? :LOL: what could i offer so it didnt sound so cheeky?

Just another thought about multiple togs.

If you go down that route you will all need to get together well beforehand to meet each other and determine how you will work together. IMO one tog will have to take the lead otherwise it will just be a rabble of the highest order when it comes to groupshots.

fletch what do u mean about the eye contact?? im new to this lol
?

What your looking for is NO setup shots.. all candid... when it comes to bride/groom and family shots then its one tog only or eyes will be looking at different togs :) its somehting you need to consider.. a family or even bride groom shot wiht eyes in differnt directions is poor.

hmm
did you also miss the bit where she says the zoo was her first date so getting married there?

I was typing when that was posted so yes, I did.

However, the point is still valid. There's obviously a budget so compromises have to be made. Why should four photographers give up their time free of charge? Why not say to the zoo that the publicity they get will be fantastic so they should provide the venue for nothing?

Don't get me wrong, I do actually think it's a good enough idea and could be good experience for someone. It's just that I can't see the car hire, the dress shop, the minister (or registrar), the bar, the jeweller, the caterer etc giving their services/goods for free so why should the photographer?

Nothing worse than a group photo with the people looking at different cameras. I would suggest saving your pennies for a pro tog. Having such a great venue warrents a good tog for good photos. As in previous threads, virtuall y everything else about the day will be gone. You will always have the photos to look back on. Make sure they are good ones.

Don't bother with a posh car or horse and carridge etc, hardly anybody sees them, spend it on a tog instead.

These however are only my views. :)

Why should four photgraphers give up there time free of charge?

Amatuers. Hobbyists.. they dont charge and are happy to take such opportunities.. If asked and they are happy then why not? So long as B/G know the possible problems which are slim if they have 4 photographers..

Your presuming the B/G want standard wedding pics... eerm in a zoo? I have a feeling she just wants loads and loads of candids from all angles.. that seems to be the most important part.. not a scheme to get free wedding photography.. probably isnt even interested in yer normal wedding photography..

Its a zoo remember.. its a bit different :)

In some respects it's a good idea, but there are pitfalls.

Do you really want 4 photographers who will all be taking random candid shots? - Just because they have better cameras than the regular guests, unless they actually get in there, and tackle the couple and the guests to create pictures, rather than just grab what is there in front of them, that is essentially what you will get.

IF they are prepared to work the people to make the shots, will they then be getting under each others feet? On the other hand, if they don't know you and the guests, will they be more interested in the animals? they may take a few people shots out of duty, but get carried away with the rest of the surroundings to get their own personal shots.

You could do with at least one photographer that is personally known to you and your guests, who is able to bully you into position and get the formal shots nailed.

Wedding photography is not just about having and knowing your camera gear, its also about being able to quickly scout the location for the best backdrops, and more importantly have the people skills to herd, bully and guide the right people into the right positions to get the shots without causing too much disruption.

If it is that unusual to have a wedding at the zoo...... Have you thought about contacting the photographer for the local newspaper? - Or even the Nationals?

OK - They wouldn't be able to spend ages there, and they might not even be interested. But on the other hand, you might just get a couple of really worthy pictures.

probably isnt even interested in yer normal wedding photography..

But is interested enough to want more than Uncle Bill/Ben with a compact :shrug:

Quick question to the OP. If budget wasn't an issue, would you hire four proven professional wedding photographers?

But is interested enough to want more than Uncle Bill/Ben with a compact :shrug:

yes and? sorry i dont get what your implying.. are you saying its pro togs or uncle bill/ben and no inbetween allowed ? I dont really see the problem..

yes and? sorry i dont get what your implying.. are you saying its pro togs or uncle bill/ben and no inbetween allowed ? I dont really see the problem..

I'm not implying anything and like I already said I think it's an okay idea. All I'm asking is why is it, when it comes to the budget, that it's always the photographer people expect to work for nothing? Why not one of the other services I mentioned above, where possible?

Plenty of people make dresses, plenty of people drive cars, plenty of people cook. Why aren't these the areas where budget cuts are made instead of the photographs, the only thing (apart from the rings probably) which will still be there in 10/20/30 years time.

All I'm asking is why is it comes to the budget why is it always the photographer people expect to work for nothing? .

she may be flitting between this forum and a catering forum with the same story :)

Zoos aren't that unusual. Marwell do it frequently and there is an optional extre, a Giraffe feed too.

I'm not implying anything and like I already said I think it's an okay idea. All I'm asking is why is it, when it comes to the budget, that it's always the photographer people expect to work for nothing? Why not one of the other services I mentioned above, where possible?

Plenty of people make dresses, plenty of people drive cars, plenty of people cook. Why aren't these the areas where budget cuts are made instead of the photographs, the only thing (apart from the rings probably) which will still be there in 10/20/30 years time.

Good point. Is it only photographers that are asked to work for nothing?

is there an echo in here ? :)

fabs.. its my sense of humor mate.. doesnt travel well :)

Back