What would you use?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Bit of a rehash on some other posts. This isn't a "what lens should I buy" but rather a "what is most appropriate out of what I have?"

I'm using my old Nikon D60 at the moment, no filters (currently looking into this, but it feels an alien subject to me, don't know what to go for as I can't afford loads, but don't want to compromise my shots for a poor filter!), and the following lenses are what I've got to start with:

> The standard 18-55mm kit lens.
> Nikon DX Nikkor 35mm 1.8G
> 70-300mm lens.

I haven't yet been out for some proper photos, but I'm going with using 18-55mm?

Would this be about the right assumption out of what I currently have?
I also want to look at buying some filters soon, then stay with what I have and get better before I try and upgrade my camera body.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mark,
That's a pretty decent set of all-round lenses to be starting with, so a different question would be "What do you like taking photos of?"
On a crop sensor body you could easily do landscape, portraiture, wildlife, motorsport..........

As for filters...
I'd recommend waiting till you reach the point you know an image would have been improved with filters instead of a few post-processing tweaks.
e.g. trying to take long exposure in the day time.
e.g. dodgy lighting conditions need a grad over the sky to keep the tonal range inside what the sensor is capable of recording.

I went years before felt I would benefit from set of filters, and I still only have two grads and an ND :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Time to get out soon when the mrs is off wedding shopping to get out with the camera.

Hi Mark

I only really upgraded once I got into shooting wildlife and birds.

Landscapes are a real leveler when it comes to kit - when I first went for a digital SLR I had the Nikon D50 / 18-55 / 70-300 and I think the shots I took with that gear stands up against my more recent stuff.

Back then I picked up a set of hi-tech soft ND grads. They're simple to use and come in really handy for landscapes.

As for your lenses - 18-55 would be the one I'd concentrate on but don't dismiss the 70-300 for picking out details or getting shots where you can give the impression of compressing distance.

Get a tripod and shutter release too if you've not already got them.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard that from a few people with regards to the gear, and on the basis I've got a wedding coming up, I can't see an upgrade happening for awhile.
The filters I'm interested in, but in due course.
Tripod I'm good with, the shutter release i'm not. And one thing that does interest me is long exposure shots, so i'm going to have to get one. I think I need a wireless one for the D60, they don't make the wired ones I believe!

Thanks for the input on the lens though, it's appreciated.

Hi Phil,

one thing that does interest me is long exposure shots, so i'm going to have to get one. I think I need a wireless one for the D60, they don't make the wired ones I believe!

You'll really need an ND filter of some sort to do long exposures at any time other than dawn or dusk (and if you're doing them at dawn or dusk you'll need a graduated filter anyway!)

Your camera and 18-55 is capable of producing stunning photo's. My son has a D3100 and the 18-55, his work is here http://500px.com/oliverandreasjones

Your 35mm would be your best bet if the scene allows.

Your 70-300 is great for picking parts out of a landscape. Trees in mist shot from a high vantage point, landscapes you can't get to, flowers with the background out of focus, wildlife in landscapes etc.

I would recommend getting a Lee starter kit before a new lens as this will help you get "the shots" now. That is of course you are intending to take landscapes seriously. You still have the option to buy a cheap set of filters off ebay but I wouldn't.

I'm often down in Dorset either doing workshops or stock. If you need further assistance i'd be happy to help.

Also Chasing the Light by David Noton would be a great DVD to get. David is a top bloke and his DVD is actually very interesting, well thought out and intuitive, with a great insight in how to use filters.

Last edited:
Your camera and 18-55 is capable of producing stunning photo's. My son has a D3100 and the 18-55, his work is here http://500px.com/oliverandreasjones

Your 35mm would be your best bet if the scene allows.

Your 70-300 is great for picking parts out of a landscape. Trees in mist shot from a high vantage point, landscapes you can't get to, flowers with the background out of focus, wildlife in landscapes etc.

I would recommend getting a Lee starter kit before a new lens as this will help you get "the shots" now. That is of course you are intending to take landscapes seriously. You still have the option to buy a cheap set of filters off ebay but I wouldn't.

I'm often down in Dorset either doing workshops or stock. If you need further assistance i'd be happy to help.

Also Chasing the Light by David Noton would be a great DVD to get. David is a top bloke and his DVD is actually very interesting, well thought out and intuitive, with a great insight in how to use filters.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to stick to my lenses at present as they're good enough for my needs at the moment.

I posted in another thread recently, that i'd been treated to a D7000 by the mrs. I've been far too busy to get out and use it recently (Her fault!) but now that my list of chores is declining, I'm going to start getting out. I tried a 20 sec exposure the other day, at like 8pm or so, and it was still too bright, so I think i'll need the filters.

Can you recommend a good site for filters that are good quality/don't rip you off? I'd be interested in the Lee set. I think then that i'd have the right set up to keep me going for months, if not years, to learn/improve with.

i would say that your 18 - 55mm would be your work horse and yes carry the 70-300mm. your most important bit of kit would be a decent tripod.

as for the filters id suggest visiting premierinks and buysing a kood hard nd set. its around £42 and has a holder 2 solid filters and 2nds. with this buy a 2nd adapter for your 70-300 incase you need the option to reduce the light on the large lens also.

hope that helps :)

www.facebook.com/phillbarrattphotography

i would say that your 18 - 55mm would be your work horse and yes carry the 70-300mm. your most important bit of kit would be a decent tripod.

as for the filters id suggest visiting premierinks and buysing a kood hard nd set. its around £42 and has a holder 2 solid filters and 2nds. with this buy a 2nd adapter for your 70-300 incase you need the option to reduce the light on the large lens also.

hope that helps :)

www.facebook.com/phillbarrattphotography

Hi Phill,

Thanks for the reply, I've had a look at their site but found it a bit confusing, and my lack of knowledge with filters doesn't held. What 2nds? I'm guessing from what you said £42 would get a holder, 2 solid filters and then 2 x 2nds...what are those?

Thanks (Sorry if that's a stupid question!)

No its not stupid its fine a solid nd will darken the whole shot and a grad it dark at the top amd clear at the bottom this will darken the sky to get it within the cameras dynamic range.

Please feel free to use the link to my fb site if you have any other questions. Il do my best to clear them up for you.

Facebook.com/phillbarrattphotography

Back