What you listening to RIGHT now?

Amazing. Really enjoyed watching ‘a set’. I won’t show it to my wife..Grade 8..or she’ll sell the piano..lol. We went to see Lang Lang at the RAH 2 years and it was a no show..he had ‘flu. We spoke to a couple who had travelled from France to see him so we stopped moaning..:)
Yes, she has astonishing technique! That version of Ravel's La valse is my all time favourite (including orchestral versions, and Yuja Wang's own studio recording). I've seen her live a few times and was hoping to hear her play the Hammerklavier, as here, but she decided to ignore the published programme altogether (which you can get away with if you're a superstar pianist). Excellent Prokofiev and Rachmaninov for the last two years at the Proms, too. I wonder if they'd booked her again before the pandemic?

Yes, she has astonishing technique! That version of Ravel's La valse is my all time favourite (including orchestral versions, and Yuja Wang's own studio recording). I've seen her live a few times and was hoping to hear her play the Hammerklavier, as here, but she decided to ignore the published programme altogether (which you can get away with if you're a superstar pianist). Excellent Prokofiev and Rachmaninov for the last two years at the Proms, too. I wonder if they'd booked her again before the pandemic?

I’m no music critic..lol..so I can only describe Op 106 as ‘wonderfully flowing‘...:)

We’re missing our trips to the RAH. Most of the time we’re in H2..J1 or J2 ..side stalls.and a couple of rows. from the front. A favourite of ours is the biennial Welsh Male Voice Choirs ...in a class of their own. I still have a vynil record. ‘1000 Male Voice Choirs RAH’ Must mention another real favourite..We’ve been three times to hear it..a very understanding wife..lol..but she loves it too...Mozart‘s Requiem and the last time it was performed in period costume with ‘candles.’ of course ‘Elf & Safety won’t allow real ones so they were electric candle bulbs . A wonderful experience.

Next Welsh Choirs...Saturday April 23 2022...:(

I’m no music critic..lol..so I can only describe Op 106 as ‘wonderfully flowing‘...:)

We’re missing our trips to the RAH. Most of the time we’re in H2..J1 or J2 ..side stalls.and a couple of rows. from the front. A favourite of ours is the biennial Welsh Male Voice Choirs ...in a class of their own. I still have a vynil record. ‘1000 Male Voice Choirs RAH’ Must mention another real favourite..We’ve been three times to hear it..a very understanding wife..lol..but she loves it too...Mozart‘s Requiem and the last time it was performed in period costume with ‘candles.’ of course ‘Elf & Safety won’t allow real ones so they were electric candle bulbs . A wonderful experience.

Next Welsh Choirs...Saturday April 23 2022...:(

Missing it too. We'd be right in the middle of the Proms season now. Missed out on the Last Night last year (didn't notice the email from the ballot!), and who knows when I'll get the chance to see that again? For things like piano concertos I like to get seats in the choir stalls - you can see the piano well if you get the right angle, and the conductor from the front. But made the mistake of doing this for a concert where they fired up the organ for the first half, which was way too close for comfort! I've never gone to the choir festival, but would like to - my father has sung in a couple of those choirs. We did see the Mozart requiem there a few years ago - a really good performance where they brought the choir right down into the orchestra:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kXDcE543VY

Last edited:
Missing it too. We'd be right in the middle of the Proms season now. Missed out on the Last Night last year (didn't notice the email from the ballot!), and who knows when I'll get the chance to see that again? For things like piano concertos I like to get seats in the choir stalls - you can see the piano well if you get the right angle, and the conductor from the front. But made the mistake of doing this for a concert where they fired up the organ for the first half, which was way to close for comfort! I've never gone to the choir festival, but would like to - my father has sung in a couple of those choirs. We did see the Mozart requiem there a few years ago - a really good performance where they brought the choir right down into the orchestra:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kXDcE543VY

I’ve just mentioned the choir stalls to my wife and she has seen Lang Lang when she went to the Birmingham Symphony Hall with two friends from up that way.I’d forgotten that..and they sat in the choir stalls and as you say,an excellent view. She laughed and said “oh dear” re your experience when the mighty RAH organ fired up. Maybe you’ll get a chance to see one of the choirs in your region before 2022..that biennial performance should have been this April but was cancelled so COVID apart,as mentioned it will be 2022. I can’t recall why we weren’t able to go to see..hear,really..lol..the wonderful Treorchy MVC at a venue in Tewkesbury ..11 miles away. We’ll catch them another time. We went to a theatre at Monmouth 2 years ago to see Max Boyce..yes, I know..lol..he’s still excellent. He had a wonderful singer with him on tour and several men in the row right infront of us were part of a Welsh MVC and joined in. What an experience that was.

I’m now going to play the Requiem you’ve attached..out on the patio. Dull but warm.

View: https://BANNED/stereogum/status/1298311151407828999

Last edited:
The Grateful Dead - New Year's Eve 1987. A live album of a definitive concert.

Making painting the new plaster in our sitting room bearable.

Roachford's debut album.....

So 1988, sounds like yesterday...

Gone into Alan Partridge mode....... There's no Fog!

THIS!

When Gary Numan covered a Drifters song (could that be any stranger?).

The thing I love about this is the second half of the song where Billy Currie (the sound of Ultravox) does a stunning solo on his ARP Odyssey synthesiser.

After all these years it still sounds amazing. Very talented man is Mr Currie.

View: https://youtu.be/j7BKiX4DAOE

Back