Whats on your wrist?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey ladies and gents.

I'm guessing a few of you enjoy collecting watches as well cameras, be it a Casio or a Chopard.

So I thought i'd start a thread with a watch. Here is my 1950's Jaeger LeCoutre Futurematic. it's been fixed up a bit over the years but still keeps good time. The first automatic watch without a crown!

Cheers,
Rich

DSC_2227_2.jpg

Currently a relatively cheap Rotary, waiting for an Oyster Perpetual (late '50s) to come back from the horologist. Often a Citizen of some sort or a Casio, depending on what I'm up to (metal cases + car/bike electrics can be a bad mix!) and where I am.

Can't beat a good Swiss watch I think. There's a part of me that's disappointed with the new wave of expensive smart watches from the likes of Apple etc. competing with hundreds of years of tradition and craftsmanship with a tiny computer that took 6 months to develop.

So true, It's all well and good owning a flash watch, but if you're wearing it down the local on a Sunday then it can be a bit vulgar! I only wear the watch above in business attire at the right kind of event or if i'm at home not up to much.
I hope your watch returns back from the watchguy someday soon!

Currently a relatively cheap Rotary, waiting for an Oyster Perpetual (late '50s) to come back from the horologist. Often a Citizen of some sort or a Casio, depending on what I'm up to (metal cases + car/bike electrics can be a bad mix!) and where I am.

Last edited:
Can't beat a good Swiss watch I think. There's a part of me that's disappointed with the new wave of expensive smart watches from the likes of Apple etc. competing with hundreds of years of tradition and craftsmanship with a tiny computer that took 6 months to develop.
Yeah it's going to be interesting to see where they end up in 5 years. I look at my phone too much already, so I don't want a watch to add to the square eyes!

Due back a week or 2 back so might chase it later this week. TBH, I only wear it because it was Dad's watch - the wedding gift from Mum. Having said that, it's very understated and doesn't look like a "posh" watch, hence I actually enjoy wearing it. It's probably the least accurate watch I own!

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see where they end up in 5 years. I look at my phone too much already, so I don't want a watch to add to the square eyes!
I don't want a watch I have to charge every night. It's bad enough having to constantly think about my smartphones next charge.

Due back a week or 2 back so might chase it later this week. TBH, I only wear it because it was Dad's watch - the wedding gift from Mum. Having said that, it's very understated and doesn't look like a "posh" watch, hence I actually enjoy wearing it. It's probably the least accurate watch I own!

Ah that's so lucky and touching. I wish I had an heirloom. I guess I'll be handing my stuff downwards eventually!
The JLC isn't worth much to worry on that level, It just looks a bit too shiny/posh for me to wear daily. It would probably annoy passers by also with its savagely loud ticking!

Last edited:
Rolex GMT II its my daily wear has been for about 2 years, moved on from a DateJust

Nice watch! May i ask how big it is? I have trouble converting the quoted case sizes to real world proportions on the wrist!

I don't want a watch I have to charge every night. It's bad enough having to constantly think about my smartphones next charge.

Several of my watches are solar charged and when not on the wrist they're on a back windowsill charging. That location is also the best place in the house for the radio signal to be picked up for the ones that are radio controlled as well.

Ah that's so lucky and touching. I wish I had an heirloom. I guess I'll be handing my stuff downwards eventually!
The JLC isn't worth much to worry on that level, It just looks a bit too shiny/posh for me to wear daily. It would probably annoy passers by also with its savagely loud ticking!

Like most people in my situation, I'd rather have my own cheap watches and Dad still around but the watch is a constant reminder of both him and Mum. All but inaudible even when held to the ear (when working!)

Mine is the older model prior to the ceramic rings and bigger crowns.

That picture makes it look bigger but its more the angle from the phone lens.

Last edited:
I have about 10 old watches kicking about, some valuable (old Rolex) and some not so.
This is one of my faves an old 1950s Transitional Tudor Oyster Royal

A rather nice and very quirky ORIS Wrist Alarm which I eventually sold to a collector a few years ago, still miss it

Like most people in my situation, I'd rather have my own cheap watches and Dad still around but the watch is a constant reminder of both him and Mum. All but inaudible even when held to the ear (when working!)
Yes of course, sorry if that response seemed disrespectful, it certainly wasn't the intention.

Nice watches folks, Always so interesting to see what people choose to wear.

I too have my dads old watch though I never wear it, a Roamer. I have a number of other watches, nothing expensive, a couple of Seikos, a couple of Accurist, just nice looking ones. On my wrist is an LG G watch which is great because it lets me buy a new watch for 50p any time I get a spend on :)

I haven't taken any photos of mine yet, but I got one of these for my 30th earlier this year:
adbec80657ef-3027b3dd.jpg

Unfortunately it's started getting condensation on the inside of the glass so I might have to send it back to get checked or the seals replaced/repaired.

I like the dial of that Junkers, nice and simple.
Big hands for old eyes to see easy :)

Germany has some great watchmakers! I'm sure they can fix up your condensation problem also as I guess it's still in warranty!

Yes of course, sorry if that response seemed disrespectful, it certainly wasn't the intention.

Nice watches folks, Always so interesting to see what people choose to wear.

Your post wasn't taken as disrespectful at all! If I hadn't ended up with it, I would be perfectly happy with my cheaper watches, although I was quite tempted to get an Omega Speedmaster to go with my Triumph Speedmaster motorbike. Couldn't really justify the cost of a second hand one and a new one would have cost as much as the bike!

I wear the Suunto Cakefinder.

cakefinder.jpg

Do they do a Fudge and/or chocolate finder as well?

Haven't worn a watch in years ... probably since I got use to checking the time on my mobile 'phone! :)

DSC_0276.JPG I've had the same Tag watch for nearly 20 years. Still looks like new. I have worn it every day since I bought it, apart from when it's in for a new battery

Last edited:
I've had the same Tag watch for nearly 20 years. Still looks like new. I have worn it every day since I bought it, apart from when it's in for a new battery
Cool, I bet the battery lasted forever also.
I had a Seamaster previously for the last 8 years. Same thing, every day it got worn and the only bit that really got scuffed was the deployment clasp. I ended up selling it to a large watch shop for only 200 pounds less than I bought it, which I thought wasn't bad at all for all the abuse I put it through!

Cool, I bet the battery lasted forever also.
I had a Seamaster previously for the last 8 years. Same thing, every day it got worn and the only bit that really got scuffed was the deployment clasp. I ended up selling it to a large watch shop for only 200 pounds less than I bought it, which I thought wasn't bad at all for all the abuse I put it through!
Think I've had 3 batteries in 19 1/2 years

Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000.
But it needs to go back to Switzerland for a refurb as the self winding mechanism has stopped holding a charge.

More seriously, can that be used as a pedometer as well as a GPS? What's the battery life like?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by pedometer - but it logs distance run/walked/swum. It also counts cadence and supports apps so if you really wanted to count how many steps you walked it could do that. But I wouldn't recommend it as a "sedentary" tracker. It's great for measuring walks/runs but if you want to mostly track steps in a day during "normal" activities then a cheap pedometer would probably be better.

Battery life depends on how often you want a GPS fix. Best sensitivity will give you 16 hours life, "good" will be 24 hours and "OK" will be 50 hours. With GPS off (but other stuff recording) it's 150 hours+. Those are manufacturer's figures but I've certainly had it record a 5 1/2 hour run at best quality and have 65% of the battery left at the end.

I wear the Pebble watch with metal bracelet strap. I've not worn a watch in years, but gave this a try. Linked up to my iPhone and great for notifications. I'm currently rocking a retro Casio style face.

I wear the Pebble watch with metal bracelet strap. I've not worn a watch in years, but gave this a try. Linked up to my iPhone and great for notifications. I'm currently rocking a retro Casio style face.
I've heard that these are one of the few smartwatches that can last a substantial amount of time between charges! I've been trying to use my watch more so I abstain from checking my phone clock and whilst i'm there emails etc!

I used to have the blackfaced one but just the quartz. Nice watch ;-)

Back