What's so good about these images?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No

500PX is a ego booster and money hungry machine!

The shots are colourful, well framed and have a general theme.

at a glance. they are extremely colourful and seemingly follow themes of macro and water droplets... but taking a step back.. they're rather marketable images if the tog intends them to be sold? is there a technical aspect ppl like them for?

I think they are attractive images, eye catching and easily accessible. They may be Smarties rather than Escargot but is there much wrong with them?

Very commercial images. Like very. I can imagine these in Ikea/Next/Heals.

Very commercial images. Like very. I can imagine these in Ikea/Next/Heals.

I was going to say that most of them would make wonderful prints, in a lounge, hotel etc. I have to say, not my normal thing but I quite like them.

They have pleasing tones, flowers a favourite with the female population. They're nice as the others have said to hang on your wall.

yes the pastely colour tones are what grab you,i must admit its one of my fav colour schemes

Perhaps it's because there's a parallel with those images being processed in such a way that they are similar to editorial type images, so you're already a bit more receptive to them?
Their subject content and lighting is really dynamic - personally I find macro images really interesting as its an added context of knowing what a spider looks like and seeing what a spider looks like.
If that makes sense...? Perhaps I should just go back to bed...

TBH they are great images.. consistent toning and editing..

I think this is part of it, there is a strong consistency across all of the images. If someone told you they were giving you an Eileen Hafke print you would probably be able to design a room around it without even seeing it, identity is quite a powerful driver.

I concur, they are strongly coloured and well composed giving a different view of common objects.

I also find them quite inspiring, looking at what went into them and I for one would have been happy to turn out images like that.

I agree with a lot of comments before. Not particularly creative, but very good example of processes I.e. colour manipulation. But the general theme does appear to be macro and wider landscape. But I like them. I kind of do the same too.

Edit: too warm tone for my likings. If I try to capture the scheme I tend to make sure the scene speak for itself as opposed to artificially making the scheme warmer. I think the images look too processed if it can be said. One or two would be pleasant. Once see a few you get the feel the photographer is a bit of a one trick pony albeit a good one.

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's input :)

https://500px.com/vermilion_sky

They're all getting scores in their 90's on 500px. I'm very curious what's so good about them?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's a proverb meaning that one person finds something beautiful which don't look beautiful to another person. So if a geologist picks up a dull dusty rock and says "Wow! What a beautiful rock!", you would most likely say "I'm curious what's so good about that rock?"

Other people looked at those photos on 500px, they see something that to them looks amazing, therefore they gave higher scores. It is because those people like the photos so much, to them they look beautiful, that's why those photos are getting scores in their 90s.

I had a look at the link you posted, I looked at those photos, they're not my cup of tea, not the sort of subject that interest me, but I will say this for the photographer who took those photos...

Whoa!! They're amazingly excellent cool photos! Keep up the good work.

Back