What's your favourite ale?

Bachs said:
Well I would like to announce that today I have given up smoking and have started a money tin with the money saved to buy camera gear.
Anyone care to join me so we can egg each other on?

:thumb:

I quit on 5th November 2003, and I reckon I've saved a good couple of grand up to now.

So on that note, can anyone give me two grand so I can catch up to Bachs please? :D

jewel said:
That is a fantistic idea Bachs! What an incentive too. How long have you had the hook in ya? They say the longer the hook the harder it is to quit. I dont' know about that though cause I had smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey. I just think when your ready, your ready. Mind you I was pregnant. I did it for me babies too. :) The best of luck to ya! It's damn worth it that's for sure.

Jewel.

I started smoking 3 years ago when I was going through my divorce.
I can't hack cold turkey, lasted a month last time...this time I am on niconitell lozenges which work for me. I'll just cut them down gradually and in the meantime my lungs aren't taking a bashing.

I'm quitting as there is a baby on the way in Feb and there is no way I'm smoking anywhere near her.

I still intend to get sh** faced on my fave bottled ales from Tescos though :beer:

Excellent. I quit with 'the book'

Allen Carr - The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

I did it after trying everything else bar hypnotherapy and getting cancer. (Although my dad died of it, still didnt make me quit).

Best 6.99 I've ever spent :)

im an ex smoker too, gave up cos the wife told me too! (and i wanted to see my kids grow up)

I have never even tried a cigarette - and don't intend to :)

EosD said:
im an ex smoker too, gave up cos the wife told me too! (and i wanted to see my kids grow up)

lol, ahh the wife huh. I'm doing the same to my other half too! He is one of these people that are off and on, off and on, and he just can't seem to kick it for good! He quit three or four times now, can't keep count now but anyway he was on the patch all three times. Just couldn't do it on his own. I think when he is stressed out he goes back to it. Not me man, when I am stressed I just get bitchier,lol :p hmmmm :ponders:

Jewel.

Bachs said:
Well I would like to announce that today I have given up smoking and have started a money tin with the money saved to buy camera gear.
Anyone care to join me so we can egg each other on?

Dude that's a top idea!

You could build one of those charity totalisers that tick off the equipment you can afford as time goes on! lol :D

jewel said:
lol, ahh the wife huh. I'm doing the same to my other half too! He is one of these people that are off and on, off and on, and he just can't seem to kick it for good! He quit three or four times now, can't keep count now but anyway he was on the patch all three times. Just couldn't do it on his own. I think when he is stressed out he goes back to it. Not me man, when I am stressed I just get bitchier,lol :p hmmmm :ponders:

Jewel.

Get him the book :)
I honestly can't recommend it enough.

I have 'infected' at least 6 people successfully with quitting now, they all managed to do it with the book, where many other methods failed.

Marcel said:
Get him the book :)
I honestly can't recommend it enough.

I have 'infected' at least 6 people successfully with quitting now, they all managed to do it with the book, where many other methods failed.

Shhh, you just tell me the "easiest way to stop smoking" and save me the 6.99,:p On a serious note though. You just read a book and you quit, just like that? No falling off the wagon, nuttin? Pretty impressive I must say Marcel. That's great!

Jewel.

jewel said:
Shhh, you just tell me the "easiest way to stop smoking" and save me the 6.99,:p On a serious note though. You just read a book and you quit, just like that? No falling off the wagon, nuttin? Pretty impressive I must say Marcel. That's great!

Jewel.

Yup, that's pretty much it.

There are only two 'rules'.

1. Read the book with an open mind.
2. Do NOT stop smoking until you've finished the book.

I started the book at 9:30 am being a 30 a day smoker.
7pm that night, I was a non smoker, and had finished the book. I read it all day at work (didnt get much done).

I would be stood there, book in one hand, fag in the other, smoking away, and would get jeery comments such as "Not a very good book is it then?"....

At 7pm I put that last fag out and remember gagging on it, it tasted absolutely vile. It was wierd, all this time of trying to give up and caving into 'temptation', and here I was, putting a fag out because it tasted disgusting. For some reason, I just didn't want to smoke anymore, and it felt absolutely GREAT saying it.

The trick is, it explains WHY you smoke, not why you shouldn't but why you actually do. And during reading, you realise that everything he says is right. Every excuse you have for smoking, there is a rational explanation.
By the time you get to the end of the book, you realise what a mug you are for smoking, and how much you just don't want to do it anymore.

It's like an epiphany, a revelation, I actually laughed to myself and thought "Good god, why the hell have I been doing *this* for so long?, what the hell was I thinking?".

And here endeth my babbling for the evening :D

Regards

I've also heard of this tome, a couple of my friends have used to give up. I could tell you the secret of the book but it will break it's spell!

I'm actually just abut to kick the habit bachs as I've been told I've probably got a condition called bronchi-ecstasis (sp?) but not brought on by smoking, actually caused by childhood whooping cough, just that smoking hasn't helped. Alas, I don't have the financial incentive as a) I smoke roll-ups and b) I get kells parents to bring the 'baccy back from spain so its about a quarter of the cost it is over here. Smoking currently costs me about £2.80 a week!

However, I'm off to buy the book on wednesday, so we can be mutually supportive!

Good luck Dude!

Marcel said:
"Good god, why the hell have I been doing *this* for so long?, what the hell was I thinking?"

That's an easy one dude, chicks dig it and everyone thinks you're cool. :icon_cool

.... well that's what I thought at school, is it not true then?

Oh I know the secret of the book, it's basically self-hypnotism.
The message of not wanting to smoke is told to you in so many different ways throughout the book, by the end of it, there is nothing else but to agree and believe it.

Also, you are so hyped up, this, coupled with your belief and your will to quit, is more than enough to say "no more".
Also because of the above, you never want to go back to smoking. It really is like a revelation. It's a new way of approaching quitting, which I think is the big difference to all other methods. It's totally different. You're not giving something up, you're setting yourself free from something bad.

SammyC said:
That's an easy one dude, chicks dig it and everyone thinks you're cool. :icon_cool

.... well that's what I thought at school, is it not true then?

:LOL: That's what I used to say as an adult, always got the laughs

"Oi, smokings cool and you know it" :D

I stopped when my girlfreind at the time decided to 'withold oral priveliges' until I stopped. I then had to wait for a fortnight until she was convinced.

It was official the same week the Berlin Wall came down - tends to stick in the memory, that kind of world-shattering event.
The Wall coming down was pretty good too...

Arkady said:
I stopped when my girlfreind at the time decided to 'withold oral priveliges' until I stopped. I then had to wait for a fortnight until she was convinced.

It was official the same week the Berlin Wall came down - tends to stick in the memory, that kind of world-shattering event.
The Wall coming down was pretty good too...

She wouldn't talk to you? :shock: ;)
That's just mean. But hey, all in a good cause :)

Glad it worked out right in the end :)

Marcel said:
She wouldn't talk to you? :shock: ;)
That's just mean. But hey, all in a good cause :)

Glad it worked out right in the end :)

lol, oh my! : :p

As for being cool", I don't know what it's like over where you all are but here it is soooo not" cool. Your looked at as if you have the plague over here. You can't smoke anywhere anymore! No restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, anywhere!!! People avoid smokers any way they can. You have to take your butt outside to smoke. It also costs about $8.00 a pack I think now to boot. It's just simply stupid all around to smoke.

Yeah, but that's Canadian $, which is about 100 to pound isn't it?

Back