What's your favourite prime and why?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
After a shoulder injury last year meant I had to reduce the weight I was carrying, I started to use primes. I'd be very interested in reading about your preferences and what you use them for. Thanks for looking.(y)

After a shoulder injury last year meant I had to reduce the weight I was carrying, I started to use primes. I'd be very interested in reading about your preferences and what you use them for. Thanks for looking.(y)

50mm 1.8 as its my only prime and great at low light and portraits of my children. For the price it is ace. Was thinking about the 40mm though. Be interested what people think of the 40mm compared to the nifty.

I've had all the primes mentioned so far, plus a few others
My favourite is also the 135 f2, but the one I take the most shots with seems to be the 50mm f1.4 as it's perfect for low-light social photography.

My favourite lens is the 135/f2, but i also really enjoy using the 35 1.4. There is something about that focal length that when you get everything just right, your subject almost pops out at you. but my 135/f2... Love it.

85 1.8 lovely images and a nice feeling lens.

Another vote for the 135 f/2 - the reason, simply just look at almost any image!

400 f2.8 is
35 f2

sharp as a tack! and used almost daily I have other primes but these used all the time.. my 135 f2 is pin sharp as well but wit the 70-200 f2.8 mkII coming very close then i hardly use it.. but would never part..

Mine was my 50mm 1.4, but when i purchased by 85mm 1.8afs it very very rarely leaves the body now!
love it

Really interesting.... might need to add a 135mm to my wish list. any more thoughts out there. Thanks:)

Last edited:
400 2.8is 2 cos its really sharp and lighter than the earlier version

Last edited:
That thread and one other that sadly I cannot find of a guy's daughter on a log were the reason I heard of the 135, then something like two years later I got one and have never looked back.

At the moment I like manual prime lenses.

My Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 is a lovely lens but it's so good that using it feels like cheating. There's something about cheap(ish) older lenses that I like but I can't say which I prefer as my 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 all have their charms as does my 50mm f2.8 macro.

I suppose my Rokkor 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 would be my choice if I had to choose.

135L f2 cos I haven't got one!

My daughters Canon 24mm 1.4L II

Superb lens with no rental charges, what's not to like

My most used prime is my 500 f4 - bitingly sharp, swift AF and ideal for photographing birds which is how I like to spend my time. During the summer months my 100 m or sees a lot of use as those mini beasts need photographing too. Also use the Olympus 45 f1.8 on Panasonic body a lot as a point and shoot for snap of the kids/dogs.

I have all primes at present. 35 1.4, 85 1.8, 150 2.8, and a 300 f4. I'd say the 85 is most fun to use. But right now mostly using the 300 with a 1.4x TC as I'm practising my wildlife tech before we're deep into autumn/winter.

Samsung NX 30mm F/2.0 Pancake. It is very very sharp wide open and very very compact. I take both it and my NX1000 compact everywhere I cannot take a real DSLR. It gets much more use than any of my Canon primes (40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135L), and is the one I would miss most. It is a little gem.

On my old canon set up it was always the 85mm f1.8, it was for me the perfect portrait lens, sadly fuji don't make one so currently its the 35mm f1.4, its just so sharp & has beautiful creamy bokeh just like the 85mm

Either the 110mm lens on my Mamiya RZ67 or a 150mm Schneider Symmar (the 1950s vintage lens, not the later ones) on 5x4. These are both more or less the standard focal length for their respective formats, and match pretty well the way I "see" things.

300mm f/2.8 L IS for longer stuff (with 1.4x and 2x extenders when needed) and the 50mm f/1.4 for portraits. Both are outstanding lenses. :)

8mm fisheye. Obvious reasons - it's the only one that's close to impossible to replicate with other lenses. In 2nd place would be the 105mm Macro, again for obvious reasons.

First full day with my newly acquired 135mm f2, and WOW!

This really is, Lord Of The Red Rings!

Got a Canon 28mm f1.8 early in the year to use with my 6D. Nice lens but unfortunately rarely makes it out of my bag as I can't get past using zooms.

Back