What's Your History With Canon Digital Cameras ?

Name
Phil aka Phiggys
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Weeeeellllll!

Let's start with film ;)
650 (journey started in 1989 when I moved from Pentax to a system with AF)
350D
40D
7D
5D3

Now gone two ranges as have Olympus E-M1 mk2

Started with the camera that probably revolutionised DSLR's ownership, mainly because of the price
300D....then moved on to the
20D......natural progression to the
50D....and my first full frame camera the classic
5D... before I jumped ship to mirrorless

AE1 35mm film
50E 35mm film
5 35mm film
10D (toe dipping digital trial)
50D
5D (mk1)
5D3

plus a few others but all bought whilst owning the ones above

Last edited:
400D
40D
7D

I'm cheap so besides the 400D which I bought new, both the others were bought second hand many years after they were first released. I still have both the 40D and 7D and use them semi-regularly: they still perform well for the majority of what the latest kit can achieve.

Canon AE-1
Canon A-1
Canon T90
Canon EOS 350D, 400D, 50D, 5Di 5Dii 5Diii
Canon EOS M, M3.

Plus many more i have forgotten about.

300D then 20D and while I had that I bought a 10D for my GF but she was too frightened of dropping it to use it.

After over seven years with the 20D I moved to a 5D. I then bought Panasonic MFT and for a while I had both DSLR and MFT CSC but when the Sony A7 came out my 5D's days were numbered and once I was sure about mirrorless and the A7 in particular the 5D and all of my Canon kit was sold.

Nearly bought a D60 (IIRC - it was the first DSLR that was vaguely affordable!) but found it too uncomfortable to hold so I waited for an affordable Nikon body and got a D70 instead.

I have a Canon compact - the only underwater camera I've owned that's stayed waterproof - so far!

A 1* Bought new in 1980
AE 1 (for use as a second body for a short time)
T90 x 2
EOS 600 (to try autofocus SLR)
EOS-3*
400D (to try digital SLR)
6D*
Sureshot Supreme compact* (to keep in the car so I always have a film camera handy)
EOS 30*

* = I still own and regularly use these cameras.

10D
1D MkIIN
1D MkIV/5D3
5D3/1DX
1DX/7D MkII
1DX/1DX MkII/6D
1DX MkII/5D4/Nikon D850

Last edited:
450D, 40D, 50D, 1000D, 600D, 80D.
The 1000D was a pile of poo, the auto ISO was beyond a joke.

I had an AE1p on long term loan in the 80s, but I was getting ‘serious’ so I bought a Bronica instead of a new 35mm camera. From that point on I was in love with the T90 but knew it wasn’t to be.

Fast forward to 1999 ish and I bought an EOS300, shortly followed by an EOS30 with eye AF.
Over the next couple of years I bought and sold loads of EOS gear I couldn’t list it if I tried.
Then Digital:
300d
20d (x2) (still have one)
40d (still have)
7d (x2) (still have one)
6d (x2) (still have)
M5 (still have)

Along the way I’ve also picked up an EOS5 film camera. I am supposed to be getting rid of the 20 & 40 to part fund the M5, but currently I have 7 eos cameras.

I stuck with 35mm (Praktica - it was all I could afford) well into the digital age. Then my partner and I bought a 350D between us which was (and still is) dedicated to astrophotography and subsequently had the sensor filter mod.. At the time it was reckoned very good for astro but I can't remember why. It remains a very good camera for astro because it's so easy to use the back buttons (image review etc) by feel, and I can change the battery and CF card while it's on the scope without moving anything. . Then several years later my partner bought me the 550D as a Christmas present (well, he bought half of it. I stumped up the rest) which I still have. I keep being tempted by the 800D for wildlife as it has a faster burst rate (I can't manage a heavier camera) but I haven't done it as I question how much of an improvement it would be except for birds in flight, which I very rarely do as I can't hold the big lens up...............

TX (first camera bought for me by my dad)
A1
T90

Bought a 30D after my Nikon D70 but couldn't get on with the rear dial so went back to Nikon with the D7000.

5DMK2
6D

Out of the 2 FF cameras I preferred the output from the 6D.

had quite a few over the years
300d
350d
450d
20d
40d
50d
5d
5d mk2
1dx
1dx mk2

bodies i still have
20d
40d
450d
1dx mk2

some of them were bought in the year of release and some bought second hand for various reasons

in the early days i wen't a bit daft with new releases the first was the 300d which put me on the path of digital SLR'S, the shutter packed in just out of warranty and was replaced with the 350d
i bought the 450d at launch which seemed to promise wonderful things on paper but unfortunately failed to deliver in real use. i sold it very shortly afterwards and bought the 40d
shortly after the purchase of the 40d the 50d was released and for whatever reason GAS kicked in and i ended up jumping in the car and travelling ( 200 miles ) down to bristol cameras to get one, it was the closest outlet that had one in stock
in hindsight i should of got the 40d and have done with it, the 450d was disappointing and there wasn't enough difference between the 40 and 50d to really warrant the purchase of the 50d but we live n learn i suppose

i started buying second hand after that :)

the 450d and 20d i have now was bought second hand for the siblings to use which they do every now and again
the 40d sits in a drawer with a broken shutter with a very low shutter count and immaculate condition
i can't bring myself to throw it away and i could buy another cheaper than a replacement shutter so it just sits there

i moved on to full frame after that which eventually brought me to the 1dx mk2 which i will be using for the foreseeable future

10D x1
1DMk 11 x2
1DMK 111 x2
1DMk IV x2

Currently have 1DX x2 and 1DX11 x 1

AE-1
A-1
20D
G12
50D
EOS-M
7DII

Mrs has had,
400D
450D
80D

Last edited:
I know it says digital, but after a Zenit E I bought a AE-1, followed another (B+W & colour film) then a third after writing the original one off, but finding it still worked although very battered! Then an EOS3.
Digital dawned with a D30, then two EOS1D bodies. After giving up football photography I downsized to a 550D, then up to a 7Dmkii.
Not a lot of cameras for 40years of Canon ownership!

DSLR:
350d
500d
6d
5d mark iii

Mirrorless:
M
M3
M5

Now have none (using Sony mirrorless)

Oh me too

Zenit EM
AE-1
T-90
T-60 (don't know what I was thinking!)
D60 (borrowed)
40D
7D
5D mk3

The only comment about all this is that I stopped adding to my film kit soon after I got my T-90 but digital has been an escalator the top of which I have hopefully reached as I've spent far too much money

D

It’s a bit mixed up when you include the film bodies

AV-1
A-1 (+ 1 for spare)

[decades]

300D
5D

[Returned to film]

EOS 3

Bored with autofocus, not any particular order, (and somewhere along the line I switched to a Sony A7 for using my FD lenses on digital)

Canonet 28
T90
T70
T60
AE-1P
EF
F-1
FT (not an FTb)

Last edited:
350d
30d
50d
70d
Eos M
7dmk2

30d is still in the cupboard, it has a dodgy shutter button, 7dmk2 and M are my current bodies.

Had lots of fd bdoies and lenses, which I miss and I really wish I didn't have to sell them on, I would have had a nice collection!
f1nx2
t80, still have
t90, it died but the body is still in the cupboard
A1, one of my favourites
AE1
Av1
A couple of others I can't quite remember! After seeing @Musicman post, I also had an ftb ql, an ex ee

eos film I had

50e
Rt
650, still got
100, still got
3000v

Last edited:
Canon EOS 300 (film)
Canon Powershot S20 (terrible blue colour cast)
Canon EOS 300D
Canon EOS 350D
Canon EOS 400D
Canon Powershot G9 (great IQ if you stick to ISO 80 or 100)
Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 3 (film)
Canon A-1 (film)
Canon EOS 5D MkII
Canon G1X MkI (good but too big for a compact)
Canon EOS 5D MkIII
Canon EF-M (film)

I still have all the film cameras, the S20 and the 5DIII.

I'm mainly using m4/3 now for digital.

Canon EF-M (film)

I was sorely tempted to buy one of those, just to see what it was like manually focusing EF lenses with a proper split screen viewfinder, but eventually decided I had better options with the FD gear I already had

Just remembered I also picked up an EOS 650 along the way; it came with an EF 50mm f1.8 Mk 1 for a tenner at a car boot sale

not used much
got my late brothers 350D used now & then
also got his EOS 1000F N & EOS700 not used must try them one day

Back