What's Your History With Canon Digital Cameras ?

oh forgot to say I;ve also used SWBO EOS M3 and son's 1300D
got to say enjoy using the M3

G7x for about a month ;)

My first 2 DSLRs were Sony Alpha's (proper A-mount ones with mirrors), then I moved to:
Canon 60D then
Canon 6D - current
Canon EOS-M10 - current small camera
Canon EOS 100 QD - film

Love my 6D. The lure of the Sony A7III is strong, but unless I get a lottery win, I won't be jumping ship any time soon.
And no, Nikon's have never appealed to me.

Well;

350D
400D
450D
500D
S3 IS
550D
600D
700D
M3
G3X
760D
M6
M50

And bought a mates SX60 which should be arriving next week! 65x zoom here we go! haha

I had a Canon G2 (4Mpx), from 2002 till about ... 2011? That's all. It was a Canon promotional giveaway. Quite well-featured actually despite what today would be a horrendously low pixel count. Rather noisy in low light. I was still using film in manual cameras for anything serious, and I referred dismissively to the Canon as my 'snapshot camera'. But it was quite a handy thing, and I could've gone into the settings more but tended to use it on auto. I'll swear that they were listed at £500 to buy? And it had an optical vf - none of this ridiculous peering at the back of the camera necessary!

In context, I think contemporary dslr's were about 6Mpx. My 35mm film scanner was putting out about 9Mpx, so there wasn't much of a contest.

My first digital dslr was bought used in 2012, but it wasn't a Canon ...

Last edited:
There’s been a few:

350D, still have and converted for Infra Red
Then a long gap before upgrading started
70D
650D still have for remote control with risk of damage
5DM3 now used by my daughter
5DM4 still have mainly landscape and video
1DXM2 still have and now my favorite most of the time

450D, 500D, 550D, 40D, 50D....now, nothing!

I bought my 12 yr old a 500D with 18-55, from MPG as she wants to learn photography. The camera came today.

Taking her out tomorrow to take lots of pics!

Been with Canon for a good while now starting with an A1 in 1980....... Replaced that with an EOS30 (the film one not a 30D).
Moved to digital with the 5D to carry on with the same lenses. After a while got the 5D Mkii which is still my main camera - no compelling need to upgrade right now......
Also have a 600D for travelling light on the motorbike and a G1X Mkii as a carry round.
The 5D2 does everything I want but still use the 5D occasionally. Although from a purely technical standpoint the quality is lower I just find that using the low ISO 50 setting on the 5D gives an ethereal quality that suits some images far more than the more clinical 5D2 does with its higher resolution and internal image processing (even with RAW).

Last edited:
5 (eye control focus thing)
20D
40D
60D - wife now has it
5DMkii
5DMkiii (wish I'd kept the Mkii instead).

EOS 3000 35mm film camera
EOS 450D
EOS 40D
EOS 80D

Next will probably be a 7D MkIII whenever that gets released

Started with an AE1program, then A1, eos650, Rebel350D, 400D, D40 x2, D7,

Canon AT-1
Canon T90
Canon EOS 3
Canon EOS 20D

Have since moved to nikon. Still have the AT-1, T90 and 20D but they don't see much use now. Best of them was definitely the 3, but my favourite is still the AT-1.

S2 IS
400D (actually an imported Rebel XTi, which is still going as my second body)
70D (which is by far the best camera I have ever owned)

First digital camera was the Canon 350D which I used for 5 years before upgrading to the 450D - used for 18 months then sold when I bought the Canon 1Ds MkII on here - still have it.
then acquired a 40D a 1D Mk IIN and a Canon 1D MkIII.

Was going to sell them all to get the Canon 5D MkIV but the advent of AI Gigapixel means that I will be keeping the 1D Mk III and 40D and selling the others, since I can now get excellent 40MP images from them and low noise.

Even at 800 ISO the 1D Mk III has virtually no noise and 10 FPS so definitely a keeper.

I had an Ixus (75?) as my first digital camera in 2003.

Then I got a 20D is 2007, and added a 1Dmk2 in 2009. In 2009 I swapped the 1D for a 5D, thinking that it would just a stop gap. I still have that 5D, however I think I will be moving to Fuji in the not too distant future. I will still keep the 20D though.

In the past..... 450d

Currently..... 5d

In the near future (probably).... 6d (Although I do keep hesitating and considering going back to a crop sensor, or even changing to Nikon).

I very much enjoy all my digital cameras. My first digital camera was a Fuji s1500. After that came a Canon sd1200, sx120, s100, and sx600. I still own them all. Each is a little different from the others like the sd1200 which has a mechanical viewfinder which when I turn off the lcd I can get up to 600 shots on one batter charge. I had a Fuji EX-1 which was found to have a defective lens mechanism. But, Fuji would not recall all it sold and made its buyers eat the bad camera it was. Canon, should you have a problem even outside of warranty often fixes problems for free. Canon is a great company and I love their products.

D30
D60
G12
70D
5D Mkiii
7D mkii

All sold now.

Got into photography way back in 1971 whilst at school using the old Praktica then once i'd left school I got an OM1, still have it. Then life got in the way and for a long while I didn't both with photography. When I started to get back into it the world had gone digital.
I got a small compact a Powershot A540 with a waterproof dive case, at the time I was doing a lot of kayaking. That got me back into it, I then got a secondhand D50 and a couple of EF lenses. When the A540 packet up I replaced it with a Powershot D30 which doesn't need a case, great for stuffing in a buoyancy aid pocket.
I found that the wide angle lenses weren't quite so wide on the crop senser D50 so I got a full frame D5 mk II still second hand and quite battered. I also added a couple more lenses, all second hand. Trouble was that the D50 and D5 and the EF lenses were so heavy and bulky that I hardly ever took them out on my longer backpacking and kayaking trips. While at the same time I wanted more control of my picture taking than the D30 could offer.
Then I read about mirrorless, OK they've been around for ten years but I'm not very techy. So, I got a 50M only had it a few weeks but have so for been blown away, really love it. Maybe I should sell one of the DSLR's, the D50 and keep the D5 for wide angle shots. I can't at the moment afford a EOS R. I'm not even sure what their like.

Last edited:
When I was a youngster back in the 70s I had a Zenit E then a Praktika, but my older brother had a Canon AE-1 which I was very envious of, so when I moved into DSLRs 10 or 11 years ago, it had to be with Canon, who also at the time seemed to have the best offering for what I wanted.

First was a 450D. I do/did lots of dog photography, and found the fps was exactly the same as my dog’s strides per second when running, so every photo was the same part of her stride. I therefore upgraded to a:

50D. Lovely camera which I have very fond memories of, but the AF just wasn’t up to head on shots of dogs running, so I moved on to a:

7D. This did me well for years for both dogs and wildlife, but I was always craving more reliable AF and better high ISO performance, so I pre-ordered a:

7D2. Wonderful camera which I still have - I was photographing the rut with it only yesterday. I had started doing more portraits, weddings etc as well, and with more professional work needed a back up camera, so in addition I bought a:

5D3. This made lovely images, and I appreciated the Full Frame and high ISO, but I just never felt the affection for it I had with my other cameras, and it was very much a back-up to the 7D2 unless I was doing portraits or low light. This spring I had an unexpected windfall, so I sold the 5D3 and bought a:

1DX2. This is the epitome of cameras for me. The AF is incredible and the high ISO eye-wateringly good. It is my main camera and just does everything superbly. The 7D2 is the back-up and comes out at times, like stalking stags yesterday, when the light is bright and I need as much length as possible.

So there we are, from a 450D to a 1DX2 with no plans to change [emoji3]

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever had a Canon camera Film or Compact, but one of the P&S bodies I picked up for a couple of quid could have been.
I do have a nice book on lenses by Canon, a couple of the junk lenses I picked up in a job lot were Canon kit lenses, and a few were FD mount.
There were a couple of nice lenses in the job lot - both came in Nikon mount, but one was an Adaptall so it's now been converted to a nicer mount.
FWIW I have brought a decent Nikon compact, to give to my wife & then borrowed it for a trip to New Zealand - but other than that have no history with Nikon bodies either.

I do use EF mount as an intermediate for many of my adapted lenses, but they're all third party & without electronics.

Had a go with a mates 300D when I only had a p&s, felt really good in my hands so went out and bought a Nikon :nikon:

Started with a Kodak box Brownie.... Then various Nikon F
Switched from Nikon F to AF to Canon EOS :
EOS 1
100D (briefly)
70D
7D-2
M5
5D-4
1DX-2
EOS R

All sold except 1DX-2 and R. I shoot about 40,000 RAW wildlife pictures per year but don't keep all of them.

:canon:

Last edited:
40d
5d
Sure shot supreme (film point and shoot)

Strangely like someone above said I shoot with a D750, but there's something more pleasing to my eye with Canon colour!!

Strangely like someone above said I shoot with a D750, but there's something more pleasing to my eye with Canon colour!!

.... Canon are famous for their 'colour science' as it is often called.

AWB is usually very reliable and anyway can be fine tuned in post-processing.

This thread seems completely about interchangeable lens Canon cameras. My experience is with a different sort of camera - point and shoot Canons. What I like most about Canon point and shoot cameras has little to do with the camera itself. It is more about the firmware the camera employs. Specifically is it about how Canon has chosen to organize the card (SD). I've used Olympus, Samsung, Fuji, and Nikon point and shoot cameras. But, I like Canon the most. Canon organizes the sd card by date. That is the folders on the sd card are organized so that all the photos you shoot are within the same folder for the date you shot them on. Olympus simply loads the card beginning with the first shot and ending with the last shot on the card. All are numbered consecutively. When traveling on a vacation finding a photo on such a card is a real pain. However, if you recall the date it was shot finding a photo on an sd card in a Canon camera is much easier. Since I save my photos on my cards rather than my hard drive (I use a Chromebook) Canon's filing system is much easier to work with. That feature alone makes Canon my preferred camera.

My Canon cameras are:
SD 1200 - the last Powershot to incorporate a mechanical viewfinder. When I shut off the LCD I can get about 600 shots per battery charge. Not having to swap out batteries all day. Purchased new @ $149.00.
SX 120 is - I love it for its very fast lens 2.8 to 4.2 on a 35mm - 350mm fixed lens zoom. This was the last with such a bright opening at the long end. Purchased new @ $129.00
S100 - I never buy the current year model. I always buy when the next model comes out. Bought this $450.00 camera for $249.00. Love its larger sensor of 1/1.7 for its better resolution.
SX 600 - Faster operation with its improved internal processor and more flexible zoom than the S100. Purchased at $149.00 rather than the $249.00 new.
SX 260 - Fastest operation of all with the Digi 5 processor. Very capable point and shoot in all respects. Superior to even the S100. Purchased used for $80.00.

I am a street shooter. I prefer to shoot at very close range while doing 'no permission asked' candid street portraits. This requires my camera be small and light enough to be held one handed for speed and movement. The street never stands still very long. My preferred camera of the bunch is the sx600 because it is a good compromise included of each the other cameras' strengths.

While I own an Olympus MFT PM-2 and have about 8 lenses I employ it to other purposes. So, I do understand and respect interchangeable lens cameras and their capability. But, for the purpose of my specialty small Canon point and shoot cameras are my camera of choice. I wish you all good shooting.

Last edited:
This thread seems completely about interchangeable lens Canon cameras. My experience is with a different sort of camera - point and shoot Canons. What I like most about Canon point and shoot cameras has little to do with the camera itself. It is more about the firmware the camera employs. Specifically is it about how Canon has chosen to organize the card (SD). I've used Olympus, Samsung, Fuji, and Nikon point and shoot cameras. But, I like Canon the most. Canon organizes the sd card by date. That is the folders on the sd card are organized so that all the photos you shoot are within the same folder for the date you shot them on. Olympus simply loads the card beginning with the first shot and ending with the last shot on the card. All are numbered consecutively. When traveling on a vacation finding a photo on such a card is a real pain. However, if you recall the date it was shot finding a photo on an sd card in a Canon camera is much easier. Since I save my photos on my cards rather than my hard drive (I use a Chromebook) Canon's filing system is much easier to work with. That feature alone makes Canon my preferred camera.

My Canon cameras are:
SD 1200 - the last Powershot to incorporate a mechanical viewfinder. When I shut off the LCD I can get about 600 shots per battery charge. Not having to swap out batteries all day. Purchased new @ $149.00.
SX 120 is - I love it for its very fast lens 2.8 to 4.2 on a 35mm - 350mm fixed lens zoom. This was the last with such a bright opening at the long end. Purchased new @ $129.00
S100 - I never buy the current year model. I always buy when the next model comes out. Bought this $450.00 camera for $249.00. Love its larger sensor of 1/1.7 for its better resolution.
SX 600 - Faster operation with its improved internal processor and more flexible zoom than the S100. Purchased at $149.00 rather than the $249.00 new.
SX 260 - Fastest operation of all with the Digi 5 processor. Very capable point and shoot in all respects. Superior to even the S100. Purchased used for $80.00.

I am a street shooter. I prefer to shoot at very close range while doing 'no permission asked' candid street portraits. This requires my camera be small and light enough to be held one handed for speed and movement. The street never stands still very long. My preferred camera of the bunch is the sx600 because it is a good compromise included of each the other cameras' strengths.

While I own an Olympus MFT PM-2 and have about 8 lenses I employ it to other purposes. So, I do understand and respect interchangeable lens cameras and their capability. But, for the purpose of my specialty small Canon point and shoot cameras are my camera of choice. I wish you all good shooting.

I have always had Canon compact cameras, just loved the feel and ease of them. I had mainly the lower end point and shoots, but drawbacks were not being able to change shutter or aperture. So point and shoots are a bit useless. I now use the Canon G7X, nice image colour and a reasonable sized sensor.

Back