What's Your History With Nikon Digital Cameras ?

What? No 'What's Your History with Minolta?' ?? :-(

I started with film based Minolta X-700 because at that time, my mother had a Minolta STR-1 (I think.) so I could borrow a telephoto or wide angle lens if needed.

When Minolta started Auto Focus cameras, they changed the lens mount. But I heard that Nikon decided to stick with the same F-Mount system when they started their Auto Focus system and I thought they got it right.

With Nikon, you can make do with a MF lens on AF camera for the time being until you buy an AF lens. With Minolta it can't be done. I vow to stick with my X-700 for as long as it last until I switch to AF.

But then when the time came that I needed a DSLR, I decided to buy a second hand...

N-I-K-O-N :woot:

So what's my history with Nikon?

Started with D1, then later upgraded to D200.

I went through this recently and eventually upgraded from a D7100 to a D810 and would definitely recommend it. A superb camera indeed.

Thanks for the recommendation. Next one will definitely have to be full frame :)

D200
D2Xs
D3 (gamechanger:banana:)
D800 (only one i have ever sold. Just couldn't bond with it :tumbleweed:)
D4
D810

Started my digital foray with a Casio QV10 but my Nikon line up goes like this..
D50
D70
D70s
D80
P7000
D200
D300 x3
D300s
D7100
D7200
D750 ( sold and went to Fuji)
D750. ( again,) with a P900 for fun.

D70
D200
D3 still love it
D7100 now with my daughter
d750
d850
still have all the rest

D7000 (for underwater photography, but ended up doing a lot more topside with it, now just being used for underwater stuff)
D500 (for most everything else)
Coolpix A (pocket camera for grab shots when I'm not specifically out photographing)

Started with a D40 in 2008; also have had a D80 and a D200.

Current lineup, all purchased second hand with very low mileage:

D50 x2
D300
D300S
D700

The latest acquisition being one of the D50s, in silver, which I could not refuse for the princely sum of £33(!) - including kit lens - with around 6k actuations!

Film:
F4s
F90s - still own both!

Digital:
D90 sold to fund D700
D700 still own
D3s sadly stolen!
D810 my current camera.

How do you find it, I quite fancy one of those for myself.

The build quality is fantastic, very solid, with good responsive buttons. Obviously it's a fixed focal length, so depends a bit on how you want to use a 'grab' camera, I find it just makes me think more about composition so I'm fine with that, though I might miss the odd shot when something pops up quickly (and disappears just as fast). Though you can crop a bit owing to aps-c format.

The lens itself is very sharp!

No optical or evf viewfinder which I thought would be a downside so I bought a litlle optical viewfinder and put it on the hotshoe, but in practice I've rarely used it. Only slight annoyance has been that you can't change the photo naming convention in-camera, but I just do that via lightroom.

Has made it easy to carry a small, decent camera with me at all times.

D700 is my first Nikon , I also use C-n-n :D

Bought a D3 when it seemed fairly certain Pentax weren't going to introduce a full-frame DSLR, sold my FF equivalent lenses and kept the APS-C DA/DA* lenses to use on the K20D/K5/K3.

One big holiday realised I would need a second Nikon body as a back up rather than lugging two sets of lenses, D7100 was bought for Costa Rica.

Buffer on D7100 was a sore point with me so bought a D500 as soon as they came out.

D3 got replaced by a D810 last year. My lenses are all FX (no DX) 16 through to 400. Just waiting to pick up my repaired 80-400 as the focus at 400 had gone way off.

Still with Pentax, my most recent purchase being an 80's era P50. following a K-1 - did I mention I sold my FF equivalent Pentax lenses above? Bought some D-FA*, FA* lenses for that. For walkaround I prefer using the Pentax. For all my camera I have fitted OpTech straps - the non-subtle Nikon (and Canon) neck straps shout 'C*ck! with camera'

Nikon D600 since May '18.

Prior to that, in reverse chronological order, Pentax K30 / K7 / K200D / ist DL. Should have gone Nikon sooner. But I was really interested in FF, and the point at which s/h bodies became available <£500. Nikon appealed more than Canon, and it looks like it'll be a long time before K1s dip to that level. A lot more lens choice with Nikon than Pentax, especially third party.

Last edited:
I started with a Canon but soon switched over to Nikon with a D90 then to a D7100 and now with a D750. I still have the other two

Back