Where to Buy a Canon 5D MkIII ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Thinking about buying a 5D MkIII.

I've been looking around at prices but just thought I'd ask here. Where would you go to purchase a Canon 5D MkIII?

I also came across the 6D while searching! I don't know a lot about it but is it an upgrade on the 5D?

Cheers

John

5D3 will be superior to the 6D. the 6 slots (funnily enough) between the 7 and the 5, but is a full frame compared to the crop of the 7.
I would go to someone like DigitalRev, there has been a lot of discussion about them recently (not all positive), but I've had a number of successful purchases from them and wouldn't hesitate again.

+1 for Hdew, I bought my 5D3 from them last year and got superb service. Plus you get a 3 year warranty thrown in for it too. They are currently £1949 http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-961-p.asp

The 6D seems slightly better for ISO handling and has better Dynamic Range but the 5D3 has it beat hands down in AF. The 6D is slightly smaller and has WiFi and GPS built in, but they seem to be more of a battery drain than anything. I don't need those features so I wouldn't consider buying one myself. The IQ, ISO handling and AF are fantastic in the 5D3 anyway and the 5D3 is by far the best camera I've ever owned or used and I've owned a few and used a few more

I ordered mine from HDEW this week, after much research.

I always make big purchases on a credit card due to benefits offered, and price wise HDEW are more competitive that suppliers who ship from outside the UK

HDEW may have the 5D MkIII but they seem to have a very limited selection of Canon lenses.

HDEW may have the 5D MkIII but they seem to have a very limited selection of Canon lenses.

HDEW have a lot of things that they dont show on the site, like the 2 x 600ex rt flashes i purchased from them

Personally id stay away from panamoz, they took 3 days to return an email and wont answer the phone.

Go with HDEW if you want a trustworthy place to spend a lot of money.

Ive hardly seen any complaints about Panamoz. Plenty of companies take their time to replay to emails.
Ive had two items refunded recently from Panamoz recently, and both have been very quick and only taken one email each time.
The phone number is a strange one. Thats an out of London number, yet the place you return items to is in London so its not the same address.
It does sound dodgy but ive only seen one negative review of Panamoz, and that seems to have been discredited a couple of years ago. To imply Panamoz is not trustworthy really needs some back up. I'd say the same thing about HDEW. why are they not advertising products on their website? Its a strange situation to have to call or email them. Do they just smuggle, sorry, order the good sin on demand? Their prices show they are not a fully legit UK based operator, selling fully legit UK imported goods so are in the same boat as Panamoz and DigitalRev as far as i can see. All three just have different selling practises but all three have very good reputations (and yes, im aware of the recent DR MKIII serial number issue:)

Panamoz have the 5D3 listed as 'out of stock' http://panamoz.com/index.php/digita...eos-5d-mark-iii-digital-camera-body-only.html at the moment. I'd recommend Panamoz all day long usually, I've had fantastic service every time I've ordered from them and I recently had a lens replaced for a brand new one under warranty in only 11 days since I first contacted them. I've used Panamoz often enough now to easily trust the 5% discount for bank transfers.

The only places I buy from now is Hdew and Panamoz as they beat the local shops hands down on prices and I know I'll get great service from both of them.

HDEW, FlashCamera (Kerso on here)

Alternatively possibly the Focus on Imaging show may have some deals, but it's an uncertainty ...

+1 for Hdew, I bought my 5D3 from them last year and got superb service. Plus you get a 3 year warranty thrown in for it too. They are currently £1949 http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-961-p.asp

The 6D seems slightly better for ISO handling and has better Dynamic Range but the 5D3 has it beat hands down in AF. The 6D is slightly smaller and has WiFi and GPS built in, but they seem to be more of a battery drain than anything. I don't need those features so I wouldn't consider buying one myself. The IQ, ISO handling and AF are fantastic in the 5D3 anyway and the 5D3 is by far the best camera I've ever owned or used and I've owned a few and used a few more

6d has better iso handling and dynamic range than 5d Mk III ?????

From my experience
HDEW: I ordered a 5d mk3 last friday evening and it arrived wednesday morning 7.30am (ouch) for £1949 with 3 years warranty, they answered my phone calls straight away and responded straight away to my email, I was also informed by email of my order progress up to delivery, very pleased with every aspect of the deal!
Panamoz: Phoned them and emailed them last Friday and to date they have not responded making it an easy decision where my £1950 quid was going to go.
Hope that helps and enjoy your camera!

Last edited:
From my experience
HDEW: I ordered a 5d mk3 last friday evening and it arrived wednesday morning 7.30am (ouch) for £1949 with 3 years warranty, they answered my phone calls straight away and responded straight away to my email, I was also informed by email of my order progress up to delivery, very pleased with every aspect of the deal!
Panamoz: Phoned them and emailed them last Friday and to date they have not responded making it an easy decision where my £19500 quid was going to go.
Hope that helps and enjoy your camera!

Out of interest, did it come with a UK charger?

Yes lord, uk plug :) no adapter and uk manual, camera menus in English as well, good spot snake now adjusted lol

Just bought my Canon 6D from Panamoz, ordered late Friday got it on the Tuesday, good service and save a few quid over Uk retailers price

6d has better iso handling and dynamic range than 5d Mk III ?????

Hard to believe I know, but according to some of the 'in depth' reviewers it does seem so. Having had the 5D3 though I certainly wouldn't exchange it for a 6D. The 5D3 has much more going for it IMO. Will see if I can find some links to the reviews.

Here's one http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon-EOS-6D and another http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...-as-better-than-the-5d-mk-iiis-and-5d-mk-iis/ off google and on the POTN forum there's quite a few threads going on about it.

Last edited:
My 5D3 came from Hdew. They offer a 3 year warranty on their bodies at no extra cost ( or at least they did when I got mine). I rang them to ask about warranties etc. when I was window shopping, and found them very helpful.

Hard to believe I know, but according to some of the 'in depth' reviewers it does seem so. Having had the 5D3 though I certainly wouldn't exchange it for a 6D. The 5D3 has much more going for it IMO. Will see if I can find some links to the reviews.

Here's one http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon-EOS-6D and another http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...-as-better-than-the-5d-mk-iiis-and-5d-mk-iis/ off google and on the POTN forum there's quite a few threads going on about it.

just seeing a broad comparison of the cameras on one of the links you posted, they rate the three cameras (6d & the 2 5Ds) as pretty neck and neck.

Having personally used both 5d MK Ii & III the dynamic range and iso handling on the latter is far far superior to MK II.

Have not used 6D but I reckon the 6D sensor is equal to 5d at best. theres a reason why its so much more cheaper than MK iii - its a stripped down version designed to fill the gap between 7d & MK iii

The 6D seems to be quite a basic camera compared to the 5DMKIII, id taker the 5D every time, even if the IQ might be a bit lower under certain conditions. For me getting the shot in the first place is more important than the ability to see something in my images that most people would never notice.

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

There's a bewildering range of prices and it's very difficult to work out which are UK based and those from HK/Taiwan!

The 5DMK3 is a better camera than the 6D but it's also quite a lot more costly. Again, the variation in price on the 6D(N) what does the N mean? is quite a lot e.g. SLR Shack (never heard of them) £1195.

Very difficult decision!

Again, thanks for all the replies.

John

Whatever you do just stay away from simplyelectronics :)

Thanks, I read bad reviews about them elsewhere! Apparently they were known under another trading name before simplelectronics and I guess they'll do it again!

If I were buying, which I'm not, I'd be thinking about this -

The 5d3 has built-in HDR on RAW files, the 6D has HDR only on jpgs........

Both only output the final HDR as JPGs. In my experience the output is not as good as taking the bracketed raw files and using something like Photomatix.
Ive used the in camera HDR a few times, its a nice feature to play with but i tend to take the raw files and do my own processing.

Both only output the final HDR as JPGs. In my experience the output is not as good as taking the bracketed raw files and using something like Photomatix.
Ive used the in camera HDR a few times, its a nice feature to play with but i tend to take the raw files and do my own processing.

OK........ that's interesting. It was only something I'd read, so is there no actual difference between the two in this respect ?

Back