Where to buy memory cards

Oz

Edit My Images
Yes
Where's the best/cheapest place to buy camera memory cards. I use Novatech for most of my PC gear, but just womdered if people found any other suppliers extremely helpful and/or cheap.

I need CompactFlash and was thinking about 512Mb (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-FLC512) which comes in at just under £30.

Cheers

thats not a bad price, i paid that not 2 months ago for a 256 card, the prices are coming down.

well, its more like £35 plus any postage,

but as mentioned, still not bad, if you dont want the latest transfer rates on the card,

MyPix

MyPix said:
well, its more like £35 plus any postage,

but as mentioned, still not bad, if you dont want the latest transfer rates on the card,

MyPix

Can you explain the "latest transfer rate" bit please? Aren't they all one rate :?:

If you don't mind E-bay there are some good deals on there. I got a Sandisk 2Gb CF card for £83 from an American seller. that was including slightly inflated postage.

That allows 270 RAW images or around 700 large Jpeg images.

Oz CF cards are rated by the speed they can transfer data, 1x 8x 20x 40x 80x etc.

The cards you are looking at are probably 8x max which is ok but it depends what your camera can also transfer at, if you put a slow card in a fast camera you will find it takes longer between shots while it saves the previous one. Go for the fastest card you can afford to give yourself the best chance of getting the picture you want.

I bought 4 40x PQI cards off eBay before christmas and have been very pleased with them (price paid was £27-35 delivered). My Canon Rebel is not as fast at transferring data as the cards so I have no bottleneck. These cards seem to be in short supply now though but for a while you could buy them in the UK at about those prices.

Blimey - didn't know they had different rates. I'll shop around a bit more and buy a faster one even though my current camera will be pretty damn slow I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice guys.

40x is fine m8

Shame, Ebuyer have 512Mb PQI 60x cards listed for £31.59 inc delivery :?

If anyone else is interested, Ebuyer also list the new Sandisk Extreme 3 cards at good prices, the 1Gb cards are £73.62 inc Del. but are OOS ATM, I paid £85 for mine and I thought that was good considering they were being sold at FOCUS for £99 :shock:

Damn :( Well, it's only a quid or so and an extra 20x that my camera probably won't use - I suppose I shouldn't grumble too much. Hopefully the info will be of use to someone else some time down the line. I'd imagine it's a fairly common thing for newer people to want? :)

Warehouse express are doing Integral iPro 2Gig CF's for £109.

Bargain at half the price.

Now you're winding me up, lol! That 2Gb price is sweet, and they've got my card £21 + £4 p&p... :(

{ME 2048} i-Pro 2GB Professional High-Speed Compact Flash

6.0MB/s 40x for high megapixel and pro digital cameras.

Save more image, sound and data files.

For use with CompactFlash compatible devices such as Digital cameras, PDA's, Voice recorders, Notebooks and MP3 players.

Solid State - No moving parts

Non-Volatile - Data maintained with no power

CFA ( CompactFlash Association ) Approved

Complete with FREE protective case

Tested with a wide range of devices

Type I - 3.5mm thickness

This is a mere 95.99 at a certain UK site

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Postage is usually around a fiver though, but this weekend they were offering cheap delivery for 1.99

go on then, i'll tell you where at

www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

8)

I ordered one 98.something delivered :)......if it's good enough for andy rouse to use in his cameras, it's more than good enough for me.

EBuyer also have the Lexar 2GB 80x Compact Flash Card for £132 inc VAT, if you're prepared to pay a bit more for the ultimate transfer rates. Beware it's currently out of stock though. :(

I guy I know has just had his 2nd 2 gig microdrive go belly up on him and vows he wont buy another. I'm sticking with CF cards - whilst they CAN go wrong I think they're less prone to it without any moving parts.

I just found this while mooching the interweb ! lol

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_Integral_Compact_Flash_Cards_253.html

They have the Integral 2gb for £95.99 and free postage ! or they have 512mb for £30.99 delivered !

Have never used them so cant say if they are any good or not, but free postage at that price cant be all bad ! lol

and another one ! lol

http://www.flash-memory.co.uk/pp/Dealtime/Integral_2GB_x_40_Speed_Compact_Flash_Cards.html

£95.49 delivered for the integral 2gb card !

I've got the Integral i-Pro 512Mb card in my Canon PSA95 and it works fine for me...

Oz said:
I've got the Integral i-Pro 512Mb card in my Canon PSA95 and it works fine for me...

I believe that Matt also uses i-Pro CF cards in his Canon 10D and is very happy with their speed and performance.

just got a 1Gb Sandisk Ultra 2 for £42 inc del off eBay, which i thought was pretty good!

Gregeff said:
just got a 1Gb Sandisk Ultra 2 for £42 inc del off eBay, which i thought was pretty good!

Is that from a private seller or a dealer? If the latter do you have a link please?

I clicked! :)

I have a 1gb card only but I'm worried in case that goes t1ts up so I thought a spare might be useful.

IPro 2mb card - ordered late Friday 29/08 - sent Rec Del on 02/08, arrived just now. Nice price & good service

Has anyone taken Canon up on their recent free 256Mb card offer?

Likewise. Card came eventually.

SammyC said:

Yes I have. Still waiting for it. Ordered it about 3 weeks ago.

SammyC said:

Yes I have. Still waiting for it. Ordered it about a week ago.

*ahem*. Well, my mum did :D

SammyC said:
Got mine ages ago, didn't seem to take long. depending on how long i'm out I fill my 1gig with raw then the 256 with jpgs. Alright for nowt!

What did you have to do to get it? I filled in the online registration form but then nothing specific could be found regarding the 256 offer. Does it just arrive?

No Sammy. If you've purchased a 350D or a 20D between March and December 2005 (roughly), then you need to register with Canon Image Gateway, then relogin to your account between these dates.
In registering for the card though, you should have a promotional sticker on the top of your camera box with a 10 character code. They ask for this and the serial number when registering for your card (It *is* on the site, can't remember where the link is though. Wasn't that hard to find).

I received mine this morning (well, tonight when I got home). but my mum is still waiting for hers :D Just had the confirmation email through.
I think mine took about a week from when I got the second (confirmation) email.

Back