Wales Where to go for a night?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent last weekend with some photography pals in West Wales (first time sleeping in the back of my VW Transporter), with a day trip over to Skomer Island on Saturday to photography the Puffins (see below for some photographs for those that are interested). I enjoyed the weekend so much that I want to do another trip, this time just a single night stop over. Can anyone recommend any places to go for wildlife or landscapes that are nearish to Cardiff (within 2-3 hours drive). I'm thinking somewhere where I can get my van fairly close to for some evening and/or morning shooting?

Anyway, here are some photo from the weekend if anyone is interested.

2E9A8421.jpg 2E9A8545.jpg 2E9A8546.jpg 2E9A8575.jpg 2E9A8581.jpg

Last edited:

These, Tim, are of the most pleasing kind — capture and rendition wise. Bravo!

BTW, I'm always interested in pleasure… visual pleasures that is — before I am
accused of any kind of perversity.

Where to go... basically the whole of the pembrokeshire coast :D
If you want to park and stay, not sure many places allow that but for a one night...

Thinking landscapes
Freshwater West, free car park, right by the beach, nothing there but Cafe Moir (boat on a trailer doing fantastic food). Huge beach, good sunsets. If the Castlemartin range is open you've got the Green Bridge and Cauldron not far away.
Dale - car park that has to be paid for but there might be parking roadside. Just before you get into it, the bay before, is a free car park area, nature reserve where the river runs in and some crossing stones across the estuary. St Annes head lighthouse not far away
Solva? Large car park by the harbour, a couple of good pubs doing food, can be very pretty for sunset/sunrise.

Abereiddy - Blue Lagoon, then Portgain is just up from there with it's interesting harbour. The Shed and Sloop inn do good food.

Off beat suggestion. Pembroke? You've the castle, and castle pond and lots of wildlife on the mill pond, plenty of car parks but there is some free parking if you know where to look. The estuary flood up to the barrier of the castle pond.
I'm buying a house there :D

Off beat suggestion. Pembroke? You've the castle, and castle pond and lots of wildlife on the mill pond, plenty of car parks but there is some free parking if you know where to look. The estuary flood up to the barrier of the castle pond.
I'm buying a house there :D

So Parking at your house then is it? :D

Brecon beacons for landscape. Pinewood studios have been scouting locations there for big movies the last couple of years I believe. Jurassic World 2 etc

Brecon beacons for landscape. Pinewood studios have been scouting locations there for big movies the last couple of years I believe. Jurassic World 2 etc
Quite a big area - any specific parts?

Back